What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortals concept + Dally M bit of a joke

your thoughts

• Joey

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • Mad Mal

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Someone else

Votes: 20 32.8%

• Total voters

SoftSydney

Juniors
The debate rages, Johns or Mal to be the next immortal? But really………what is the biggest issue?
The biggest issue with the Rugby League immortals is the sad fact that Rugby League Week magazine owns the rights and running of the concept, RLW and the immortals concept has no affiliation with the NRL…. Say it isn’t so.

Can someone please tell me how “editor at large” WTF does that even mean Phil Rothfield is on the judging panel, the comedy continuous. A man who has bent this game over whilst using no protection, the most biased individual in the print media.. ....a man who has never actually reported/investigated a story gets to vote on who is an immortal.....ouch

A magazine cashing in and messing with the game’s history, as far as I can tell RLW is owned by PBL/Chnl 9/CVC.

Moving onto the Dally M Awards/Player of the year another farce owned and run by the NRL’s best friend News LTD. The 3-2-1 each week is awarded by the commentators of the game our friends at Foxtel Woz and Loz (what happened to the Whizz this year?). A newspaper and foxtel creating the game’s history by awarding and nominating the best player of the game…. Oh really

Getting back to the debate, the Immortal award is based on, on field performances and if that is the criteria I say Johns is ahead. Like him or not the fact is he had it all, attack, defense, kicking game and goal kicking. He could win a game on his own and did so countless times.

If your team was struggling and it was round 16, who would you pick for your team if you had the choice... Mal or Joey?

Brutus

Referee
The debate rages, Johns or Mal to be the next immortal? But really………what is the biggest issue?
The biggest issue with the Rugby League immortals is the sad fact that Rugby League Week magazine owns the rights and running of the concept, RLW and the immortals concept has no affiliation with the NRL…. Say it isn’t so.

Can someone please tell me how “editor at large” WTF does that even mean Phil Rothfield is on the judging panel, the comedy continuous. A man who has bent this game over whilst using no protection, the most biased individual in the print media.. ....a man who has never actually reported/investigated a story gets to vote on who is an immortal.....ouch

A magazine cashing in and messing with the game’s history, as far as I can tell RLW is owned by PBL/Chnl 9/CVC.

Moving onto the Dally M Awards/Player of the year another farce owned and run by the NRL’s best friend News LTD. The 3-2-1 each week is awarded by the commentators of the game our friends at Foxtel Woz and Loz (what happened to the Whizz this year?). A newspaper and foxtel creating the game’s history by awarding and nominating the best player of the game…. Oh really

Totally agree

applesauce

Bench
Should have Dally M for best individual player, Hall of Fame to acknowledge the best of and contributions to the game, and Immortals to acknowledge the legends of the game.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I think Joey winning it would make it bit of a joke. Don't get me wrong, he's the best player I've seen & deserves to be one - but isn't the point of 'immortality' standing the test of time? How could Johns win it ahead of players like Provan, Sterling Meninga etc etc. He's been retired 5 years ffs. Seems pretty obvious they will pick Johns because he's fresh in peoples mind, & the younger generations will have seen him play.

Loudstrat

Coach
How many times does Provan's name have to be mentioned as a possiblity - only to be beaten by someone else?

eozsmiles

Bench
I don't know why you would bag a magazine for having the idea of naming "immortals". We can name our favourite players on this site and they can do it in a magazine.
It's only their opinion and that of a few senior citizens, soft journos, and suits. It only effects the history of the game for people that are into the list and nobody becomes a better player by being named. And if they enjoy naming it and people enjoy reading it, then why not leave them to it?

SoftSydney

Juniors
I don't know why you would bag a magazine for having the idea of naming "immortals". We can name our favourite players on this site and they can do it in a magazine.
It's only their opinion and that of a few senior citizens, soft journos, and suits. It only effects the history of the game for people that are into the list and nobody becomes a better player by being named. And if they enjoy naming it and people enjoy reading it, then why not leave them to it?

I dont think anyone would say that there shouldnt be an immortals or Dally M, I think it should be run by the NRL not two media companys. My pic would be sterlo and Provan joint inductions.

The NRL should protect its product and history

Bretto

Bench
Rothfield, :lol:.

They can't pick Johns, the bloke was (probably still is) a drug addict. Admitted to using drugs while playing the game. That alone brings the whole concept into disrepute if he's named.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Rothfield, :lol:.

They can't pick Johns, the bloke was (probably still is) a drug addict. Admitted to using drugs while playing the game. That alone brings the whole concept into disrepute if he's named.
Look people already assume Queenslanders are dumb, why do you choose to further prove that by being a genius?

The drugs he used were not performance enhancing drugs. They were recreational drugs. They helped him as much as a coffee helps you play footy. If anything they made him worse.

The drugs he used have no relevance to him as a football player.

You may as well say they should do mental health checks on immortal candidates and anyone with mental health issues should be forbidden from being an immortal.

Your post is highly offensive, it is a slanderous personal attack, it crossed the line and it was below the belt. It sickens me to be honest that you or anyone else is so pathetic to think that way.

Last edited:

Bretto

Bench
Best player in history? That'll do me.

Look people already assume Queenslanders are dumb, why do you choose to further prove that by being a genius?

The drugs he used were not performance enhancing drugs. They were recreational drugs. They helped him as much as a coffee helps you play footy. If anything they made him worse.

The drugs he used have no relevance to him as a football player.

You may as well say they should do mental health checks on immortal candidates and anyone with mental health issues should be forbidden from being an immortal.

Your post is highly offensive, it crossed the line and it was below the belt. It sickens me to be honest that you or anyone else is so pathetic to think that way.

It sickens you? It sickens me that Johns was taking drugs for so long throughout his career and brought the game down so many pegs, on his own, through his own selfish actions.

The drugs were not performance enhancing ones, so that makes it okay does it? What kind of f**king stupid shit is this? So if I'm a Police Officer, it's okay for me to snort crack on the weekends because it's not enhancing me in my job? Or what about if I'm the Prime minister, surely it'd be okay to do LSD and lead the country right? It's not hurting anyone. As long as I do the job okay, that should alright, yeah?

Johns did drugs for most of his playing career. He's admitted to it. He lost all respect from me.

How you can possibly condone the use of drugs of any kind, especially by professional athletes that kids look up to, beggars belief. Next you'll be saying Ivan Milat was a pretty good bloke... you know... when he wasn't murdering people violently and cutting off their heads with axes.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Out of the people who vote for immortals, if anyone doesn't vote for him I'd have them banned from ever voting for immortals again.

The immortals as a concept is a failure if it continues to exclude the greatest player to ever play the game.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Best player in history? That'll do me.
Sterling is the only player who comes close and he'll be the first to tell you Johns is better.

People who have watched the game for 50 years will tell you there never was an equal to Johns.

Latest posts