What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Immortals-Head To Head

Disco

Bench
firstly i want everyone to post who they think is the best side there club has ever produce (eg Manly immortals with Fulton, Eadie, Cleal etc) then once all the teams are in i want everyone to rate the sides 1-15

(for teams such as Parra, Sharks and Wests Tigers, just name the official immortals teams)

Mystery Man

Juniors
Broncos

1. Lockyer
2. Hancock
3. Renouf
4. Smith
5. Sailor
6. Walters
7. Langer
8. Webcke
9. Walters
10. Lazurus
11. Tallis
12. Thorn
13. Matterson

Anonymous

Juniors
This is very difficult because I'm assuming that you mean from all eras...

IMHO, from what I've seen and read...

1. Graeme Langlands
2. Johnny King
3. Reg Gasnier
4. Mark Coyne
5. Nathan Blacklock
6. Brian Clay
7. Billy Smith
8. Craig Young
9. Ken Kearney
10. Kevin Ryan
11. Rod Reddy
12. Norm Provan
13. Johnny Raper

Res
14. Frank Burge
15. Brad Mackay

Southernsaint

Staff member
Willow said:

1. Graeme Langlands
2. Johnny King
3. Reg Gasnier
4. Mark Coyne
5. Nathan Blacklock
6. Brian Clay
7. Billy Smith
8. Craig Young
9. Ken Kearney
10. Kevin Ryan
11. Rod Reddy
12. Norm Provan
13. Johnny Raper

Res
14. Frank Burge
15. Brad Mackay

Take out Rod Reddy, as he's a traitor & replace him with a man that bleeds Red & White, Lance Thompson. Also, I'd be inclined to replace Nathan Blacklock with Martin Offiah - I know he only played a handful of games for us but he was ALL CLASS!!

Everey fibre of my being wants Ricky Walford in the team but realistically he wouldn't make it. As a Gentleman though, he'd be the first picked - love you, Flash!!

Cheers,
Ben S.

yappy

Bench
The Magpies Team of the Century is

Fullback: Frank McMillan
Wingers: Peter Dimond, Alan Ridley
Centres: Cliff Pearce, Harry Wells
Five-Eighth: Vic Hey
Halfback: Keith Holman
Lock: Les Boyd
Second Row: Arthur Clues, Kel O'Shea
Front Row: John Donnelly, Ed Courtney
Hooker: Noel Kelly

Reserves: Bill Carson, Neville Charlton, John Dorahy, Tom Raudonikis

Coach: Roy Masters.

Tigertread

Juniors
Balmain Team of the Century:
Fullback: Keith Barnes (c)
Wingers: Larry Corowa, Arthur Patton
Centres: Jim Craig, Charles "Chook" Fraser
Five-eighth: Jack Devery
Halfback: Arthur "Pony" Halloway
Lock: Wayne Pearce
Second rowers: Harry Bath, Paul Sironen
Front row: Arthur Beetson, Steve Roach
Hooker: Ben Elias
Reserves: Tom Bourke, Tim Brasher, Peter Provan, Bob Boland
Coach: Norm "Latchem" Robertson.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Canberra Raiders Greatest Team
Fullback: Gary Belcher
Wing: John Ferguson
Centre: Mal Meninga (c)
Centre: Peter Jackson
Wing: Brett Mullins
Five-Eighth: Laurie Daley
Halfback: Ricky Stuart
Lock: Bradley Clyde
Second-Row: David Furner
Second-Row: Jason Croker
Prop: Glenn Lazarus
Hooker: Steve Walters
Prop: David Grant

Victor Trumper

Juniors
I'll give Canterbury a go

1- Johns
2- Anderson
3- Farrar
4- P Mortimer
5- Utai
6- Lamb
7- S Mortimer
13- Norton
12- D Smith
11- Gillesepie
10- Tunks
9- Peponis
8- Price

Obviously I haven't seen all players so some of the older ones are choosen on reputation.

Any arguments Bulldogs fans.

ps: Sorry Ross Conlon fans, but I just couldn't squeeze him in :p

Moffo

Referee
Victor Trumper said:
I'll give Canterbury a go

1- Johns
2- Anderson
3- Farrar
4- P Mortimer
5- Utai
6- Lamb
7- S Mortimer
13- Norton
12- D Smith
11- Gillesepie
10- Tunks
9- Peponis
8- Price

Obviously I haven't seen all players so some of the older ones are choosen on reputation.

Any arguments Bulldogs fans.

ps: Sorry Ross Conlon fans, but I just couldn't squeeze him in :p

Depends how fair dinkum you want to be mate, if we can include anyone that ever pulled on a berries jersey, then surely Clyde would be there before Norton. Can't argue with too many other selections, might have Halligan above Utai though, purely for kicking ability

Cheers,
Moffo

Victor Trumper

Juniors
I picked Norton over Clyde, based on the fact Clyde was more or less in the twilight of his career and although he did ok in his few years, was not the player he was whilst at Canberra.

On the goalkicker, well I tried to squeeze in Rossy ;-).

Ron Jeremy

Coach
This is my greatest Parra side

1. Ken Thornett
2. Eric Grothe
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Michael Cronin
5. Nevile Glover
6. Brett Kenny
7. Peter Sterling
8. Bob O Reily
9. Steve Edge
10. Ray Higgs
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Ron Hiltich
13. Ray Price

14. Steve Ella
15. Stan Jurd
16. Dick Thornett
17. Peter Wynn

very hard side to choose!!

yappy

Bench
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You picked Vella in the centres in front of the Zip Zip Man? Give yourself several thousand triples. No Crow? Give your self several million triples.

yappy

Bench
Utai in front of Gearin, El Masri and Halligan? He's a great prospect, but surely one of those three has to have the runs already on the board. Surely you can come up with a better lock - Hell Langers I would have thought. And Geoff Robinson should at least get a bench spot for being every league fans favourite wild man.

The nominated Raiders side is hard to argue against. Maybe Croker (as a second rower) and Grant but I can't name anyone off hand to replace them.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
yappy said:
The nominated Raiders side is hard to argue against. Maybe Croker (as a second rower) and Grant but I can't name anyone off hand to replace them.

the raiders side named is still without the names of Wiki, Woolford, Kennedy, Nagas and Nadruku!

yappy

Bench
Yeah still some room for your bench. Woolford is a good player but not in Walters' class. I don't think he should make a best Raiders 17. Wiki would though. BK? well he certainly showed what he would become, but his best years will always be at the Knights. It would be a toss up between Noa and Nagas, with Ken probably edging out the big Fijian for a bench spot. I'd probably have Wiki starting in Crokers spot with Croker on the bench, but it's 50/50. What about front rowers? Lazzo obviously stands out but who else?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
yappy said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You picked Vella in the centres in front of the Zip Zip Man? Give yourself several thousand triples. No Crow? Give your self several million triples.

You like that one didn't you :lol: :lol: :lol: .......i done it for a stir!!......i'll rectify it now 8)

Anonymous

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Willow said:

1. Graeme Langlands
2. Johnny King
3. Reg Gasnier
4. Mark Coyne
5. Nathan Blacklock
6. Brian Clay
7. Billy Smith
8. Craig Young
9. Ken Kearney
10. Kevin Ryan
11. Rod Reddy
12. Norm Provan
13. Johnny Raper

Res
14. Frank Burge
15. Brad Mackay

Take out Rod Reddy, as he's a traitor & replace him with a man that bleeds Red & White, Lance Thompson. Also, I'd be inclined to replace Nathan Blacklock with Martin Offiah - I know he only played a handful of games for us but he was ALL CLASS!!

Everey fibre of my being wants Ricky Walford in the team but realistically he wouldn't make it. As a Gentleman though, he'd be the first picked - love you, Flash!!

Cheers,
Ben S.
If I did that I'd have to take out Kevin Ryan as well (for being captain coach of Canterbury in 1967).

Rod Reddy was a tremendous player who knew how to soften up his opposites in the opening stages of the match. Ofcourse, I considered Lance Thompson on the grounds that he has proven himself loyalty-wise... same with Ricky Walford. But I still think Rocket would have kept Thommo out of the top 13.

Blacklock over Offiah, Lumsden, Morris, (Ron) Roberts etc because he'll be remembered for what he did. When we dont have eye witnesses anymore, we can only rely on records and imo, Tingha's record speaks for itself.

Thats why Chunky Burge is in there... the oldest name in the team. He was a great running backrower who scored more tries than any other forward and the perfect reserve player to come on fresh in the second half (replacing Reddy before he gets sent off). Burge led Saints in 1927 to the Final decider - he is regarded as being responsible for installing the new club's winning attitude. He would be a welcomed addition to any team.

btw, I'd have Killer Ken Kearney as captain because he wasnt squeamish about whacking the players across the chops. :lol:

yappy said:
What about front rowers? Lazzo obviously stands out but who else?

Brent Todd!! John Lomax, Quentin Pongia, Luke Davico, Ryan O'Hara or maybe even Paul Osborne lol....take ya pick.

Raider_69

Post Whore
id think Wiki would be there, toots to the bench and in recon Davico has it over Grant..... OSBORNE IS THE MAN!

Southernsaint

Staff member
Willow said:
Southernsaint said:
Willow said:

1. Graeme Langlands
2. Johnny King
3. Reg Gasnier
4. Mark Coyne
5. Nathan Blacklock
6. Brian Clay
7. Billy Smith
8. Craig Young
9. Ken Kearney
10. Kevin Ryan
11. Rod Reddy
12. Norm Provan
13. Johnny Raper

Res
14. Frank Burge
15. Brad Mackay

Cheers,
Ben S.
If I did that I'd have to take out Kevin Ryan as well (for being captain coach of Canterbury in 1967).

Rod Reddy was a tremendous player who knew how to soften up his opposites in the opening stages of the match. Ofcourse, I considered Lance Thompson on the grounds that he has proven himself loyalty-wise... same with Ricky Walford. But I still think Rocket would have kept Thommo out of the top 13.

Blacklock over Offiah, Lumsden, Morris, (Ron) Roberts etc because he'll be remembered for what he did. When we dont have eye witnesses anymore, we can only rely on records and imo, Tingha's record speaks for itself.

Thats why Chunky Burge is in there... the oldest name in the team. He was a great running backrower who scored more tries than any other forward and the perfect reserve player to come on fresh in the second half (replacing Reddy before he gets sent off). Burge led Saints in 1927 to the Final decider - he is regarded as being responsible for installing the new club's winning attitude. He would be a welcomed addition to any team.

btw, I'd have Killer Ken Kearney as captain because he wasnt squeamish about whacking the players across the chops. :lol:

Sorry Willow,

I still cannot forgive him for the Adelaide Rams fiasco of 1996 (even though it led to my favourite season as a Saints man). It was awesome, in my opinion, to see him booed on his return to Kogarah at the Scum match this season...

As for Offiah & the winger "situation", we've been blessed with wingers over the years from King & Lumsden to Walford, Offiah & Blacklock. You're just luck I didn't bring up the five-eighth debate. I mean, Poppa Clay was awesome but was he a World Champion Boxer who could do backflips?? I think not!! :lol:

Frank Facer as manager of The Team Of The Century. What he would think of Cross-Dresser Doust is unimaginable...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Latest posts