What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In an 18 team comp...

Raiderdave

First Grade
ah.... why are we again talking about Perth's " chances ":?

they're in
its not a matter of if..... its just when
2014 or 2015

the other team is the one that is still a bit up in the air

& yes Perth Red

we'll do

Friday 2
Sat 3
Sun 3
Monday 1

options Perth gives us are
a live time slot on Friday .....
7.30pm in Perth & 9.30 in the East ( so the 2nd Friday game )

the above on Sat as well so 3 live games back to back , 5.30pm , 7.30pm & 9.30pm

3 live games back to back on Sunday as well
NZ 12pm East 2pm West 4pm

the 3rd leading into FTA news in the east will be very attractive

Monday as is now 7pm in the east , so not suitable for games in NZ or Perth.

Raiderdave

First Grade
3. The Semi Final, Preliminary Final and Grand Final.

oh , so lets ignore they only sold about 8K to a semi this year then :sarcasm:
the other 5K being junior pass holders & stadium members

yeah , they're a crowd juggernaut those Eagles aren't they :lol::lol::lol:

MSIH

Bench
And your shitty club deserves to be in the comp whilst pulling massive crowds of 6148 and 8452?

Crowds aren't the be all and end all of having a team in the NRL champ.

History, success etc etc. All of which Manly have, and Perth don't. I'm not against a Perth side at all, but I'd want more evidence than having a one-off crowd of 21,500 and a favourable TV time slot before I rushed them in. They've failed once, I don't want to see that again.

MSIH

Bench
oh , so lets ignore they only sold about 8K to a semi this year then :sarcasm:
the other 5K being junior pass holders & stadium members

yeah , they're a crowd juggernaut those Eagles aren't they :lol::lol::lol:

Ohh poor old Raiders fan is struggling to remember back to 1994. What's wrong mate, is your VHS of the game finally about to give way?

I'm banking on Manly playing a team that would be half competitive in Week 1 of the Finals. No, not the Raiders.

Billythekid

First Grade
3. The Semi Final, Preliminary Final and Grand Final.

LOL so the only way you can compare your crowds to Perths is to include finals games.

Crowds aren't the be all and end all of having a team in the NRL champ.

Hey champ, we all know that.

History, success etc etc. All of which Manly have, and Perth don't. I'm not against a Perth side at all, but I'd want more evidence than having a one-off crowd of 21,500 and a favourable TV time slot before I rushed them in. They've failed once, I don't want to see that again.

Perth failed for a reason (you know that superleague thing?). There are plenty of other reasons they should be admitted and you would know them if you had read up on the situation at all and weren't just one of the usual LU trolls.

Also Perth Red never said that one crowd should be what gets them admitted. He was responding to your incredibly dumb statement that no one in Perth knows what RL is.

dogslife

Coach
WA must have a team.

As for the topic. we need a 3pm Saturday game but the NRL wants night games so a compromise will be to shift one of the Sunday games back to 6:30pm Sunday (fits right between the news and the Sunday night movie (or whatever crap channel nine are putting on at 8:30).

Here's hoping 9 don't have the rights by 2015

siv

First Grade
My preference

Fri - 8:00pm (Game 1) - Ch 9 live

Sat - 5:30pm (Game 2) - Fox live
Sat - 7:30pm (Game 3) - Fox live
Sat - 9:30pm (Game 4) - Fox live

Sun - 2:00pm (Game 5) - Ch 9 live
Sun - 2:00pm (Game 6) - Fox live
Sun - 4:00pm (Game 7) - Ch 9 live
Sun - 4:00pm (Game 8) - Fox live

Mon - 8:00pm (Game 9) - Fox live

That allows a few other games to be also shown

4:00pm Fri - U22's match #1
6:00pm Fri - NSW Cup match #1

1:00pm Sat - NZ Cup match of the round
3:00pm Sat - Qld Cup match of the round

10:00 Sun - U22's match #2
12:00 Sun - NSW Cup match #2

4:00pm Mon - U22's Match #3
6:00pm Mon - NSW Cup Match #3

all can be shown live

whall15

Coach
If we're talking hypothetically...

2x Friday Night Football (7:30pm) - FTA (7 most probably)

Saturday Night Football (5:30pm) - Fox
Saturday Night Football (7:30pm) - 10
Saturday Night Football (7:30pm) - Fox As Happens Now

Sunday Afternoon Football (2:00pm) - Fox
Sunday Afternoon Football (4:00pm) - 7
Sunday Night Football (7:30pm) - Fox

Monday Night Football (7:30pm) - 10

Cliffy87

Juniors
I think it is time we went to a 20 team comp.With Perth,2nd Brisbane team,Central Coast & 2nd NZ team (possibly Christchurch).Every year we lose so many players to the English Super League,rugby & now even AFL.In NZ there is so much talent that never get an opportunity to play at this level.Hardly any of the NZ Warriors Toyota Cup team came from outside Auckland.

firechild

First Grade
Here's hoping 9 don't have the rights by 2015

It is nice to dream but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world. I reckon the NRL will bugger up negotiations and we'll be stuck with 9 for another 5 years. Having said that, the scenario works for 7 or 10. In an ideal world it'dbe back to ABC broadcasting rugby league matches ad free and on FTA.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It is nice to dream but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world. I reckon the NRL will bugger up negotiations and we'll be stuck with 9 for another 5 years. Having said that, the scenario works for 7 or 10. In an ideal world it'dbe back to ABC broadcasting rugby league matches ad free and on FTA.
With the rights selling for $350 and a free Mr Squiggle poster a year.

Noa

First Grade
3pm Saturday is an awful timeslot. Given the fact crowds were poor way back when they'll be even worse now so many more people work saturdyas to pay off there house, 2 4wd and 3 Lee's.

no name

Coach
I say it everytime someone brings it up, 3pm Saturday is no good cause you're up against the races.
Alot of the target audience love a punt as much as they love their footy.

thorson1987

Coach
I say it everytime someone brings it up, 3pm Saturday is no good cause you're up against the races.
Alot of the target audience love a punt as much as they love their footy.

I would say an even greater number of the target audience would be at kids (or their own) sports at that time on a saturday.

Loudstrat

Coach
If we want to be a truly national code we need a team in Perth by 2014 at the latest.
Why? Will Perth be in a different country in 2015???????

I think it is time we went to a 20 team comp.With Perth,2nd Brisbane team,Central Coast & 2nd NZ team (possibly Christchurch).Every year we lose so many players to the English Super League,rugby & now even AFL.In NZ there is so much talent that never get an opportunity to play at this level.Hardly any of the NZ Warriors Toyota Cup team came from outside Auckland.
Here here! :clap: Get us back to where we should have been if the brain dead didnt find the Murdoch pin number in 1995!

Now, the Perth fantasy. If they get back in, given the 2 hours time difference, they (and PR) are treating this TV timeslot opportunity like it's the discovery of the Holy Grail, Lazarus' Reef and a cure for cancer all in one hit. The fact is that if a new timeslot comes online because of the WA time difference, it not only has to work in Perth for crowds, and the East Coast/NZ for viewing (NZ is 4 hours difference), but it also has to be duplicated when the Reds play away. So that neat 7.30pm Saturday kickoff in Perth one week will mean a f*cking abysmal 9.30pm kickoff everywhere else (Ignoring the possibility of a game kicking off near midnight in Auckland).

Perth limits itself to 3.30pm or 5.30 pm kickoffs.

Friday:
5.30pm kickoff - not good locally. Not good interstate either, because it would limit it to playing a Queensland club if the current Eastern States programming is adhered to. And unless the Reds are a top performing side, a game against a NSW club would not be a ratings winner at the 7.30 time slot in NSW. Example - Reds vs Tigers would hardly outrate a clash between 2 other NSW clubs. Would have to be against a QLD club.

7.30pm kick off - only follow a big QLD side vs big NSW side clash that would be shown live in both eastern states. And it would have to be against a ratings puller to hve any hpe at all. To me, Friday is out.

Saturday:
3.30pm: Could fill the 5.30pm AEST and 7.30pm NZT slots well. Sadly, crowd wise, it may be directly up against AFL.

5.30pm: Could fill the 7.30 AEST and 9.30 NZT slots well. Possibly less AFL pressure on local crowds

7.30: The most likely spot. It will fill the later spots on the east. Most likely the kickoff will actually be anywhere up to an hour earlier with maybe some delay to fit in with eastern states prgraming.

Sunday:
3 - 3.30 pm. Would only end up being a Foxtel filler in a time slot that appears to be weakest for Pay Tv and strongest for FTA. At best, a 2pm kickoff would get the 4pm Sunday FTA game. But at the expense of who? NQ, Auckland, Gold Coast and Canberra never host these games - why would Perth?

Monday
5.30 pm. What time do the factories and offices shut over there again? Completely unsuitable.

To me, the whole Perth TV 'advantage" only kicks in for the Saturday night games anyway - which is for all intents and purposes the NRL filler night for Poxtel anyway.

If Perth is using the TV argument - it needs to talk more about being a winner on FTA. The Bears bid would trump it in that argument.

beave

Coach
5:30 Friday???? Good luck with that one mate.

this is what I would do

2 Friday 7:30 games (same as now with QLD and NSW flavoured games)

1 Saturday 5:30 arvo (NZ home games are good for this slot)

1. Saturday 7:30 game (primarily NQ home games after Daylight savings)

1. Saturday 9:30 game (7:30 kickoff local for WA home games, use NQ's home games while daylight savings are on which will be 8:30 kickoff local)

Sunday 2pm

Sunday 4pm

Sunday 7:30

Monday 7:30

If NZ is playing away, they slide into another slot and any other home team can take the 5:30 timeslot (as it is now). The saturday 9:30 kickoff will be a pain come the end of DLS and when Perth is away. Maybe then use NZ home games at 12pm Sundays (instead of the 5:30 Saturday) when Perth is away. Sorry if this confuses everyone.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
so if perth is away, NZ will always play at home, it would be as follows

2x Friday nights

5:30 Saturday

7:30 Saturday

12pm Sunday (NZ home game)

2pm Sunday

4pm Sunday

7:30 Sunday

7:30 Monday