What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

Exsilium

First Grade
1993 is and always will be the best RL campaign and GF entertainment. I was ten or so when I went to that game and it was absolutely banging.

Nuke

Staff member
The NRL should do something to honour the great Lady..
Yep. Pre-game, both teams run out and line-up side-by-side as they do for Origin, Grand Final, and Internationals.
Announcer: "The world has lost a great entertainer in Tina Turner. Instrumental in Rugby League's surge of popularity in the late 80's to mid 90's, we remember her involvement in our great game. Will everyone please stand as we pay a moment's respect to Tina Turner."

Crowd & players: Stand and quietly bow heads in preparation for a minute's silence.

PA: First twangy bars of Nutbush blare out.

Crowd & players: Smile and start dancing.

That's the proper respect Tina Turner should be given pre-game every game this weekend.

Exsilium

First Grade
Played Tina Turner in the office yesterday. Most of my staff are Gen-Z and weren't into it at first but by the end of the day, they were right into that era.

One of the best for sure. Not at the Whitney Houston levels but still a great artist.

I know I'm in the minority here and probably get roasted over it but I felt that Turner was a very average entertainer at best. I see some parallels between her and Jimmy Barnes, who I despise intensely.

Her involvement in the advertising campaign for Rugby League in this country does nothing to sway my opinion in the matter.

Ole chicken legs had the hide to "star" in Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, and along with Angry Anderson, managed to tarnish the greatest franchise in Australian cinematic history. Admittedly, I have watched only five minutes of Thunderdome and turned it off when Turner and Anderson raised their ugly heads.

I consider Mad Max and Mad Max II to be in the Top Five of Australian films ever made but Thunderdome and, to a slightly lesser extent, Fury Road, managed to wreck the Mad Max legacy beyond repair.

Glenda Jackson is a strange one. A great actress no doubt, but of her movies I've seen, I can barely remember her, if at all.

Last edited:

Exsilium

First Grade
It's Mum's birthday today. She would have been 102 if she was still with us. She wasn't a singer, actress or entertainer but was the Tasmanian speed skating champion as a 19 year old.

Does that count? 😁

She meant enough to you to shout out to the LU community.

I've never been a champion at anything, always participation ribbons, so she's miles ahead of me haha

She meant enough to you to shout out to the LU community.

I've never been a champion at anything, always participation ribbons, so she's miles ahead of me haha
I teared up when I read your reply. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Achieving something doesn't mean everything because you are as good as you are - pretending to be something you're not is counterproductive.