What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"IN WANE WE TRUST" ................ Shaun Wane that is.

twinkletoes

Juniors
I can't see why so many on this forum are infatutated with Wane...he has no track record in NRL, even as an assistant, he has won premierships in English Super League but so has Steve Price...so that says nothing to me. What other credential does he have that would make so many on the forum declare without qualification that he is the ONE to lead us forward....massive gamble on an untried, untested coach...in my books another rookie

SnowDragon

Juniors
I can't see why so many on this forum are infatutated with Wane...he has no track record in NRL, even as an assistant, he has won premierships in English Super League but so has Steve Price...so that says nothing to me. What other credential does he have that would make so many on the forum declare without qualification that he is the ONE to lead us forward....massive gamble on an untried, untested coach...in my books another rookie

yes, unlike Holbrook he hasn’t done an assistant role in NRL. The gamble is his style won’t translate to NRL.
If we had Bellamy as an option, or some other clear quality coach without risk I’d then feel different. However, after seeing his Tv interview from late last year, and seeing the options on the table, he suddenly comes across as a standout and I feel MUST be considered.

ALSGI

Bench
I get your points, all good.

However he is from outside the Dragons Footy System:thumbsup:
He has a record of success:thumbsup:
Hadn’t been sacked as Coach:thumbsup:
He talks like a Winner, unlike the suck up Furner has talked about (ie Dragons roster is top 4):thumbsup:
Has been selected as England Coach, might draw some pommy talent:thumbsup:

More ups than any of the others at this stage and imo just as much risk as front runner Griffin although I’d take Griffin over Furner any day and DY shouldn’t even be considered.

Dragsters

First Grade

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
WWOS reporting that Furner is firming, Griffin drifts on the back of social media scandal, but claims that Wane is in the race...

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BRAB&usg=AOvVaw07SocyLTMU26ougvvD73Df&ampcf=1
I will say, if you want a hardarse, Dave Furner is definitely that. Good boxer too, no one will be giving him shit. I know if he gets picked this place is going to go crazy but I would urge people to at least approach it with an open mind. He went away and did his time as an apprentice so who knows.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I will say, if you want a hardarse, Dave Furner is definitely that. Good boxer too, no one will be giving him shit. I know if he gets picked this place is going to go crazy but I would urge people to at least approach it with an open mind. He went away and did his time as an apprentice so who knows.

I've got an open mind on Furner. Not that i really care who gets the Donkey's coaching gig, but i'm open to them appointing another gomer like their last coach.....Furner fits that criteria.

possm

Coach
This is where we just keep on speculating because there just isn't any transparency given outside the inner sanctum to let us have some idea who they are chasing. All we know is that there were 3 zoom interviews last Thursday with Griffin, Young and Furner. They say that they preferred Fitzgibbon but he is staying at the Roosters. No mention of Wane or anybody else.

They just like to keep us in suspense.
I'm now hoping that the Board now finds itself in a stalemate over the decision between Young and Griffin, and because of this, go for Wane who has the best record and top level experience. Wane might also be able to bring some big English props with him.

Having Griffin and Flanagan as his assistants, Wane might also prove to find the success we have been yearning for since Bennett in 2010.

Gareth67

First Grade
It is my belief that hoping that Wane gets the gig is living in dreamland . Don’t get me wrong I would prefer him over the other candidates , however I just don’t believe that our donkey united board has the professionalism to land him .

I say this as there is a media report on how the Dragons board stuffed-up signing Craig Fitzgibbon as they went through the wrong channels , apparently Nick Politis should had been approached in the first instance before actually making an offer ( of $2 million ) to Fitzgibbon .

Our mob seem to have the bad habit of demolishing any and all negotiations out of habit .

Still our luck has to change one day - perhaps they will all get together at the next meeting to decide upon the new man and after having one or two or ten Crown Lagers become good mates and send Wane his plane ticket . :thinking:

possm

Coach
It is my belief that hoping that Wane gets the gig is living in dreamland . Don’t get me wrong I would prefer him over the other candidates , however I just don’t believe that our donkey united board has the professionalism to land him .

I say this as there is a media report on how the Dragons board stuffed-up signing Craig Fitzgibbon as they went through the wrong channels , apparently Nick Politis should had been approached in the first instance before actually making an offer ( of $2 million ) to Fitzgibbon .

Our mob seem to have the bad habit of demolishing any and all negotiations out of habit .

Still our luck has to change one day - perhaps they will all get together at the next meeting to decide upon the new man and after having one or two or ten Crown Lagers become good mates and send Wane his plane ticket . :thinking:
If the Board can't agree between Young and Griffin, then I say Wane should be the candidate to break the ice. They all should recognise he is the best candidate for the job.

Gareth67

First Grade
If the Board can't agree between Young and Griffin, then I say Wane should be the candidate to break the ice. They all should recognise he is the best candidate for the job.

Certainly possum , it they had any common sense they would indeed . However the problem is as I see it that we have the WIN boys , not to be confused with rugby league oriented Steelers board members whom now only exist in name only ( if that ) making decisions based upon anything other than footy .

That is the crux of all the discontent , imho . If they were not there then I am sure that all future discussions would be discussed in a more amicable manner - even coming to a unanimous decision every now and then . Not like the current shat fights that apparently have been occurring .

Last edited:

SEAT 1A

Bench

Wane should have had the Red V carpet rolled out for him. I can no believe he is behind two unemployed coaches and an assistant coach.

Nick Politis should have been involved however, didn't Fitzgibbon say that he wasn't going to apply for the roll and had to be invited. Well, 2 mil is a pretty good invitation.

Gareth67

First Grade
Wane should have had the Red V carpet rolled out for him. I can no believe he is behind two unemployed coaches and an assistant coach.

Nick Politis should have been involved however, didn't Fitzgibbon say that he wasn't going to apply for the roll and had to be invited. Well, 2 mil is a pretty good invitation.

Yes mate that amount would have secure most coaches services .

It makes me wonder just how much they now intend to pay either Griffin - Furner or lawd forbid young Young - and I am not talking about the fella who runs the local Chinese take-a-way neither .

blue bags

First Grade
Wane’s the main man to make the Dragons great again
03 June 2020, 9:39AM 0 Comments
Written by John Davidson

Photo by Getty Images

Paul McGregor is under massive fire and headed for the sack.

St George Illawarra were poor against the Warriors on the weekend and are yet to win a game this season. They have won just twice in their past 13 fixtures.

Last year they finished second-last and won just eight of 24 games. McGregor, a club legend, has been in charge at the Dragons since May 2014 with a 46% win percentage.

Since he took over they have yo-yoed, finishing 11th, eighth, eighth, ninth, seventh and 15th. It makes for uncomfortable reading.

The 52-year-old coach has unable to take them past just barely making the eight and get them into the top four, or a grand final. He’s had plenty of time, but it’s now time for a change.

Enter Shaun Wane.

Many in the NRL won’t know the pugnacious Englishman, but he is a perfect fit for the Red V.

At 55 he is experienced, successful and eager to prove himself in Australia. The current England national team coach, after taking over from Wayne Bennett, would be well-suited to the Dragons.

Shaun-Wane-England.jpg

He was a tough, uncompromising forward as a player in the 1980s and 1990s, and he is a tough, imposing figure as a coach. In eight years as head coach of Wigan Warriors, he won everything on hand in Super League.

Wane got Wigan to four grand finals, winning three of them. Under him the Warrriors reached two World Club Challenges and two Challenge Cup finals, wining one of each. His winning percentage as a coach is 68%.

As an assistant Wane learned under Michael Maguire and like ‘Madge’, Wane’s teams are gritty, determined, defensively strong and difficult to beat. Wane would instill that toughness and mentality into the Red V.

A workaholic, the former Great Britain international has been studying the NRL for years. He has always wanted to coach down under. He also knows Ian Millward, St George Illawarra’s recruitment well.

Hell, he may be even able to entice his friend John Bateman, who he coached at Wigan, to come to Wollongong. That would be some coup.

St George Illawarra have a talented roster. They have the raw materials in Cam McInnes, Paul Vaughan, James Graham, Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, Euan Aitken, Trent Merrin and the Sims brothers to be a semi-finals team.

But they need a new coach to take over. Dean Young and Mathew Head have never coached in first-grade. Trent Barrett failed at Manly. Shane Flanagan is suspended. Anthony Griffin was punted by Brisbane and Penrith.

Why not take a chance on a talented, hard-nosed Pom?

The last time an Australian club did that was the Newcastle Knights with Malcolm Reilly. That ended with the Knights winning the 1997 grand final, pulling off of the biggest shock results in rugby league history.

Maybe it’s time another Aussie team did.

P.S Thank you @Dragsters