What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incompetence

smi962

First Grade
Dragons are doing the best thing by not rushing in like the Price fiasco a few years back. By waiting it also gives Mary and the players extra incentive to make the finals.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Once again, no sarcasm mate but a whole can of worms just got opened. I am more than happy to offer an objective view. I see it as perhaps Mr Objective View might have something to offer the club other than forum insults against the club that I and many others support. Any numpty can post throw away lines and not offer a solution. People like this don't last very long and are rarely seen as valuable contributors in the workplace or society. If he is happy to make these claims, then maybe he is prepared to stand by his convictions and do something about it? I have no idea of his background or if he is a suitable candidate...so why not stand for a position on the board? Better than whinging about the encumbents and not offering a tangible solution, no?
I certainly encourage him and others to do so but my point remains that it would be a far better option to offer suitable candidates that are high profile and can bring numerous and varied skills to the board.
Willow...I would rather we discuss this over numerous refreshing ales rather than on here.
I am completely aware of the intricacies involved with both Leagues and Football Clubs, believe me.
The Utopian view would have us win the comp every year, or wear the Red V at every opportunity, or have 22 games at Kogarah but the reality is somewhat different to this.
I know exactly how hard it is to chase and fight for every last sponsorship dollar.
I don't think our current management has kicked many goals in the last few years but we're not in the same precarious predicament as others either. I don't profess that our club has managed many issues acceptably but it's still our club/team. Some things have been managed well, mainly behind the scenes matters, yet we rarely hear positive spin from our online friends.
There are more than one ways to skin a cat mate but it gets on my nerve when a completely unbalanced view of things is repetitively posted. Don't worry, he's not the only culprit :)
Not a dig at anyone but there needs to be a balance and a more 'objective view' from where I sit.
You didn't need to go to that much trouble.

Look, if you want an each way bet on this question, that's your choice. As I said, it puts you on safe ground either way. And a lot of folks are comfortable doing the same. I personally prefer a more determined approached.

And for your own peace of mind, don't take Obie View seriously. The Broncos comparison? lol. Great timing. The only thing funnier is the news coming out of Qld.

hazzbeen

Bench
Settle down boys..... Bennett at the time was playing Doust for his own benefit. As for Mary he was always going to take over after our Pricey got pushed out {thank god for that}. the boys club still controls our coaching staff that is why Mary will be the coach . Could be a good thing or it could turn out to be another Price episode....problem is we can not waste another 3 years with no sign of improvement........

Jubileeboy

First Grade
All good and no problems from me Hazzbeen. I always respect Willow's views and treat him with the respect he deserves...he's one of the good ones mate.
I will always go into bat for our club if I feel a continuous subjective view is being thrown out time and time again. The fact remains management has been negligent in some areas but until people fully understand what goes on in the background, they are not qualified to constantly whinge about cause and effects.
It leaves me bewildered when some people think just because player 'X' or coach 'Y' signed for another club, it's all Doust's fault and we were amateur in our approach. In most cases deals are already done without the knowledge of the public or we simply weren't interested. I have a contact that assures me The Dragons are methodical and extremely diligent in all dealings he has had with them. This is more than I can say for some that are involved in the NRL. For the record...we were favourites to sign Bennett up until the Friday before the Sunday evening announcement regarding his conversation with Murdoch and his desire to return to Broncos. Negotiations were well advanced and we were in the thick of it ....right until Newscorp money beat us to the pinch. Anyway, always great to have a decent discussion, cheers.

jenninga

First Grade
All good and no problems from me Hazzbeen. I always respect Willow's views and treat him with the respect he deserves...he's one of the good ones mate.
I will always go into bat for our club if I feel a continuous subjective view is being thrown out time and time again. The fact remains management has been negligent in some areas but until people fully understand what goes on in the background, they are not qualified to constantly whinge about cause and effects.
It leaves me bewildered when some people think just because player 'X' or coach 'Y' signed for another club, it's all Doust's fault and we were amateur in our approach. In most cases deals are already done without the knowledge of the public or we simply weren't interested. I have a contact that assures me The Dragons are methodical and extremely diligent in all dealings he has had with them. This is more than I can say for some that are involved in the NRL. For the record...we were favourites to sign Bennett up until the Friday before the Sunday evening announcement regarding his conversation with Murdoch and his desire to return to Broncos. Negotiations were well advanced and we were in the thick of it ....right until Newscorp money beat us to the pinch. Anyway, always great to have a decent discussion, cheers.

Well put.
The one question I would like answered is ,why did the club extend Dan Hunt's tenure at the club when he is clearly past his best,and for 4 years at that.

With all due respect JB, you've mistaken constructive criticism for insults. And it's because I support this club that I'm highly critical of management.

Aside from Bennett falling into his lap, Doust has been a spectacular failure on the coaching front. And his failures are not limited to that area alone. Does that mean that everything Doust does is a failure? Of course not. But the club can and should do with a better CEO, better management, a better coach and democratisation.

The incompetency of management is self evident. Your apologetics does nothing to improve the situation.

This is nothing but an objective view.

OV

Cagey Mac

Bench
Doust tried hard to get Bellamy & Bennett & tried also for Cronk et al on the player front
Retention of Price was an error
Reacting to our current position either way may well replicate that error
OV, from my perspective you appear biased against Doust & Mary.
There is insufficient empirical data to decide Mary's fate either way ATM
Sunday's game is definitive as is the rest of the season
An objective view may be feasible soon but IMO you're going off prematurely on a fantasy that may never be fulfilled

ggould

Juniors
A wait and see attitude is okay!! Waiting to see how the teams fairs in the final weeks is good, they jumped in early on that fateful anzac day when it was announced price got his extension and looked what happened a flogging that day and downhill rapidly after that!! To many people with short memories!! If we make the semis from where we were when mary to over he will get the job simple as that!!! Everybody just relax!!!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
until people fully understand what goes on in the background, they are not qualified to constantly whinge about cause and effects.
Ah, but who decides what is valid? Everyone has their own book of rights and wrongs.

Sure, some posters are obviously just blowing off steam but even they are entitled to do so. You can usually tell when someone is just being up front about their feelings. But of course, others are privy to info and are possibly keeping a lid on the worst of it.

I agree that it makes for good discussion, and at the end of the day that's why we're here.

Mr Red

First Grade
A wait and see attitude is okay!! Waiting to see how the teams fairs in the final weeks is good, they jumped in early on that fateful anzac day when it was announced price got his extension and looked what happened a flogging that day and downhill rapidly after that!! To many people with short memories!! If we make the semis from where we were when mary to over he will get the job simple as that!!! Everybody just relax!!!!

They didn't jump in early, they simply jumped the wrong way.
There was nothing wrong with announcing the coaching extension early if Price had demonstrated some success, but to offer a year extension to someone who was clearly out of his depth already at that time was just plain stupid.
That was more the issue that left everyone scratching their heads, not so much the timing....they could have announced it at the end of the year and it would have been the same outcome ....people left scratching their heads...

With all due respect JB, you've mistaken constructive criticism for insults. And it's because I support this club that I'm highly critical of management.

Aside from Bennett falling into his lap, Doust has been a spectacular failure on the coaching front. And his failures are not limited to that area alone. Does that mean that everything Doust does is a failure? Of course not. But the club can and should do with a better CEO, better management, a better coach and democratisation.

The incompetency of management is self evident. Your apologetics does nothing to improve the situation.

This is nothing but an objective view.

OV

You've got to be kidding???

My friend, you couldn't hit objectivity if you fell out of a cliche.

GT0007

Juniors
maybe you should grow up and stop calling people names, just because people don't agree with you, its poor form to be constantly bagging our own supporters, that's usually reserved for scum storm and scum cronulla supporters.

Quote of the year!