What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

INCORRECT RULING

Should Tim Mander Be Dropped After His Shocking Game

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

StGeorge

Juniors
Nearing The End of that first half, there was an incident in about the 38th minute, where Nick YoungQuest tackled Craig Hall in Mid air, but the rules state that only if the defending player is tackled in the air its a penalty, if the attacking player gets tackled in the air its play on, this is taken from nrl.com

LAW

It is illegal to tackle an opposing player attempting to field a kick whilst the player is in mid air. The catcher must have returned to the ground before being tackled. Applies only when a player on the non kicking team catches the ball on the full.

THE REFS INTERPRETATION

The last sentence was added in 2001 because coaches pointed to the fact that an attacking player who caught the ball in his opponent’s in goal area must, under the previous law, be allowed to land prior to anyone tackling him. This, they said, would result in “uncontested tries” or, in the event of a mid air tackle being made, perhaps even a penalty try. This was against every principle in the game.

As the law was originally implemented as a safety issue for players, a change was always going to be difficult. However it was felt that a player from the kicker’s team had a great advantage in the run onto the ball and nothing like the same risk was evident compared to the fullback/winger scenario which prompted the original change.

THE LAW IN ACTION

Manly were in the possession of the ball and were attacking the Cowboys 20 metre zone. The Sea Eagles put a cross-field kick up from the centre of the field over to the wing. The Manly Winger jumped and caught the ball in mid air and in the process of coming back down was tackled mid air by a North Queensland player, before dropping the ball as he hit the ground.

The video replay was consulted to confirm the grounding of the ball. The video confirmed that he did in fact drop the ball.

There was a question asked about the legality of the mid air tackle. In that circumstance, the mid-air tackle was permitted because the rule relates only to the non-kicking team. In other words if Manly had kicked that ball and a North Queensland player had caught it and was tackled mid air, this is illegal and a penalty would occur.

If the kicking team is catching the ball and is tackled in mid air, this is ruled as play on. In other words, if a Manly player kicks the ball and a Manly player catches the ball and is tackled in mid air, the results is play on.

Now if Tim Mander is supposed to be one of the top refs in the game, why when i witnessed this was i instantly aware that it was a farcical call, wheras Tim doesnt know the rules. This is a disgraceful job by Mander and he needs to pay the consequences and should get dropped.

Other examples of bad calls are, the Hornby supposed knockon which came off his knee, Buderus losing the ball before the incident with the mid air tackle going unnoticed, Mander missing a couple of forward passes and high tackles, from both sides, and ofcourse not calling time off when the knight were set at the end of the game. He has to be dropped. Please reply to this topic and state what you guys think

Dragon

Coach
He is a goose, and made numewrous bad decisions affecting both teams tonight. Watch gallop come out and make excuses once again.

They want respect? F*cking pathetic.

StGeorge

Juniors
Yeah i just cant understand how a ref can actually get the ruling wrong, the ref should never not kno the rule.

StGeorge

Juniors
Yeah but its one thing when the referees see things differently, e.g, two on one strip, knock on, forward pass, because thats up to the discretion of the ref. But in this case, the ref actually DID NOT KNOW THE RULE!! I for one am embarresed and totally puzzled that one of the top refs in the game does not actually know the correct ruling. Doesnt anyone else just think thats disgraceful

StGeorge

Juniors
To compound the error, didn't he indicate the penalty the wrong way??

Cheers,
Ben S.

yeah, lol, just makin sure he puts the exlamation point on him looking like a dick
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Misanthrope

Staff member
I agree with BigLance. The ref's game was poor, and I think it's foolish to single out that one indescretion. He ruled an incorrect play the ball against Newie when Ryles was molesting the player, and ruled that Hornby had knocked on when it clearly hit his knee.

Personally, I think the 'tackled in the air' rule should apply to all players- simply because it's dangerous practice to take someone's legs out from under them when they're up there.

StGeorge

Juniors
I agree with BigLance. The ref's game was poor, and I think it's foolish to single out that one indescretion. He ruled an incorrect play the ball against Newie when Ryles was molesting the player, and ruled that Hornby had knocked on when it clearly hit his knee.

Personally, I think the 'tackled in the air' rule should apply to all players- simply because it's dangerous practice to take someone's legs out from under them when they're up there.

yeah mate i agree it went both ways, but that wrong call by the ref was stupid, wrong rule, should be dropped. Ryles shoulda been penalised to

Nugby

Juniors
we got away with the win so even though he had a shocker it didn't affect who would have won so I'll let him get away with this shocker

Anon

Bench

So if an attacking player jumps and catches the ball in the opponents in goal the defending players should have to wait until he's on the ground before attempting to stop him grounding the ball?

I don't think that is very workable and you'll find that is why the rule was changed to only apply to the defending team which is in itself stupid because the rule was originally introduced to protect a player in mid air. Are they suggesting that it is less dangerous for an attacking player to be tackled mid air?

The rule should be done away with altogether. If you don't want to be tackled mid air don't jump for the ball. Simple.