What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

India vs New Zealand 1st Test

African Monkey

First Grade
Papps is hardly a bully... and McIntosh has many more technical issues than both... starting with just how gumby and uncoordinated he seems to be
Yes he does but no-one else will do any better.

If anyone is to get dropped it is BJ watling. Like Guptill, he never did anything in FC cricket to warrant a spot in the test team in the first place and his results in test cricket have proved that he is not up to the level as yet.

JJ

Immortal
Yes he does but no-one else will do any better.

If anyone is to get dropped it is BJ watling. Like Guptill, he never did anything in FC cricket to warrant a spot in the test team in the first place and his results in test cricket have proved that he is not up to the level as yet.

after a performance like this, they won't change much...

But yep, I agree... McIntosh>Watling on character and first class performances... I'd like to see How back for one of them at some stage and after a couple of seasons and presumably some runs at first class level, Guptill at 6, and either Williamson or Taylor at 3

African Monkey

First Grade
after a performance like this, they won't change much...

But yep, I agree... McIntosh>Watling on character and first class performances... I'd like to see How back for one of them at some stage and after a couple of seasons and presumably some runs at first class level, Guptill at 6, and either Williamson or Taylor at 3
How can come in for Watling as far as I'm concerned. THe good thing for how is that his technical problems are very minor and if he can work on getting these right, he could turn into a good player for us. He's easily the best player of the pull and hook we have imo.

Iafeta

Referee
Chris Martin? Seriously? Are you kidding me? What a wicked spell. What a great ball to get Sachin, and a ripper to get rid of Raina too I thought. I honestly wuoldn't have been more surprised by what just transpired than if I had woken up and found my head was sewn to the carpet.

Probably the one niggling disappointment is that Vettori hasn't chipped in in the second innings again. This is his fall down from being clearly one of New Zealand's best to being a world class world beater. Love his courage and tenacity in improving his batting etc, but the injuries have limited his ability to turn the ball and its hurt his match winning bowling performances dramatically.

Iafeta

Referee
India looking comfortable now. Vettori and Patel bowling trash. Aside from Bangladesh, West Indies or Zimbabwe, has Vettori ever gone through a line up in the second innings when there's a chance to win a test? Deadset, he is hopeless. But Jeetan Patel makes him look like Shane Warne. I love the field Vettori's setting for himself... "don't want to blow me economy rate out mate, so I'll have a man back at backward point." What the hell is up with that? Everytime they block into the offside they get a single.

Iafeta

Referee
And what's the go with McCullum? I'll drop a sitter and then smile like a ponce. Almost as if he's happy with that.

African Monkey

First Grade
India looking comfortable now. Vettori and Patel bowling trash. Aside from Bangladesh, West Indies or Zimbabwe, has Vettori ever gone through a line up in the second innings when there's a chance to win a test? Deadset, he is hopeless. But Jeetan Patel makes him look like Shane Warne. I love the field Vettori's setting for himself... "don't want to blow me economy rate out mate, so I'll have a man back at backward point." What the hell is up with that? Everytime they block into the offside they get a single.
Yeah what is with having no point in place??? It's taking the pressure right off them. This is where we are missing the extra seamer to complement Martin at the other end.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
These two are looking very comfortable, it's a shame all of Martins great work is going to waste.

Iafeta

Referee
Yeah was going to say, I feel for Martin here. Bowled his guts out, bowled brilliantly. And all he left PAtel and Vettori do was a small job. Between the two of them they couldn't even accomplish one step of that job and have cost New Zealand an epic chance of a famous test victory. This is no rarity for Vettori. Despite New Zealand's weak test ranking, they've had 6-7 test wins in their grasp over the past 4-5 years where they just required their spinner to get a collect a 3-80 even, yet time and time again he fails miserably. Great ODI bowler, wicked 20/20 bowler, very good bowler in the first innings of a test match, exceptional improvement as a test bat, absolutely no ability whatsoever in the second innings of a test match. Really, he's Chris Harris with glasses.

Iafeta

Referee
Does he ever? Glorified left arm slow-medium. The description left arm spinner is an injustice.

African Monkey

First Grade
I'm unhappy that we're letting the game slip, but I can't say I'm suprised. As I said yesterday, our current spinners will never win us anything.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Gonna be a draw. Martin nearly got Harbajan a couple times that session but like has been said the spinners haven't looked threatening at all.

shiznit

Coach
unfortunately NZ just dont produce big turners of the ball...

the biggest turner of the ball i remember seeing in NZ Domestic cricket was Brooke Walker... and he was just a rubbish clone version of Shane Warne...

weve got nothing at domestic level... it says alot that Kane Williamson was probably the best up and coming spinner last season.

could you imagine if they threw that Hira bloke from Auckland into international cricket... Warnie, Macca & Boon would come out of retirement after seeing all the pies that useless bastard bowls.

African Monkey

First Grade
Yeah I suppose so. And we are 1 bowler down too and we were expected to get hammered before a ball was bowled so maybe we are being a tad harsh on them.