What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous all stars nominees

morris_magic

Juniors
NRL.com will be asking fans to choose the side that will take the field in february
voting opens during the four nations tournament at nrl.com
dragons nominees are : Wendell Sailor, Jamie soward and Michael Lett
vote!vote!vote!!:crazy::crazy::crazy:

I still cannot get pumped for this game. I would rather see an A-TSI vs Maori game like the one during the World Cup. This not only promotes RL, but also promotes the links that each indigenous culture has had to RL in Australia + NZ. An Aboriginal vs "Best of those who aren't injured or held back by their clubs" seems like a desire to cash in on short-term $$$ rather than make any progress in developing the game.

Doug2234

First Grade
Agreed. They are pushing for $$$ more then anything.

I do believe it will be a bit of fun. And i for one have mixed feelings about voting in any Dragons players. I value the experience against some quailty players but dont want to risk injury pre season...

The Nick

Bench
Agreed. They are pushing for $$$ more then anything.

I do believe it will be a bit of fun. And i for one have mixed feelings about voting in any Dragons players. I value the experience against some quailty players but dont want to risk injury pre season...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the majority of revenue generated from the game would be pumped back into grassroots programs in Indigenous communities via the NRL's One Community initiative?

Godz Illa

Coach
I'm pretty sure you're right Nick. The money is going to a great cause, so hopefully they raise as much as possible

Doug2234

First Grade
If thats the case then that is good work by the NRL. I was unaware it was being pumped back into the game. I just assumed it was going to fill News Ltd pockets.

saint-colesy

Juniors
Lets hound votes in for Michael Lett, although i'm certain the Dell will get in.

Never knew he was aboriginal.

marty_dragon

Juniors
Dellevision: Sailor wants prime-time gig

AFTER learning that television viewers would be able to listen to Wayne Bennett's comments to his players during February's All Stars game, Wendell Sailor asked if he could also be wired-up on the field.
While the February 13 clash between the Indigenous All Stars and an NRL All Stars side boasting the halves combination of Darren Lockyer and Benji Marshall marks the second anniversary of Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's apology to the Stolen Generation, it is also Sailor's last match and a chance to try new innovations.
The most significant is the opportunity for a side to forego a conversion attempt after scoring a try for the chance to cross again from an additional play starting 20 metres out from their opponent's line, during which both teams will be able to introduce attacking or defensive players off their interchange benches.
But the game will also give fans a rare insight into the instructions Bennett and Indigenous All Stars coach Neil Henry give their teams during quarter and three-quarter time, while the video referee will provide explanations for his decisions to Channel Nine's commentary team.
The referees and trainers from both teams will also be wired-up along with players on the interchange bench but Sailor is keen for fans to hear what he hopes will be a sledging match with St George Illawarra teammate Brett Morris on the wing.
''I've got my fingers crossed Brett Morris will get a start,'' Sailor said of the selection process that involves fans voting for one player from each club to join Lockyer, Marshall - the Australian and New Zealand captains - and Kangaroos and Kiwis vice-captains, Cameron Smith and Adam Blair in the NRL All Stars team.
''Brett Morris has had an outstanding season and at training he sledges me and tells me to retire, but I go back to him and say 'at least I'm the best player in my family'. With the coaches being miced-up, if there is an opportunity for a player to be miced-up I want to be that player.''
Bennett, who has been known to put a towel over the dressing room cameras during a half-time talk to players, said he had no problems with the intrusion of microphones or the other innovations to be tried in the game. ''I realised what I was getting into,'' Bennett told yesterday's media conference to launch voting for the NRL All Stars team. ''It's a great innovation and an opportunity to do a couple of things without turning it into a farce. I'm comfortable with everything we've outlined there.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...sailor-wants-primetime-gig-20091125-jrc7.html