What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Information

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Hi Panthers fans.
I'm wanting to write an article for the Roar about the situation at the Panthers, but am having a lot of difficulty finding information.
Things like the specific relationship between the Leagues club and the football operations, financial outlook and spending on marketing, etc, in relation to other teams.
I lived in Penrith for a few years whilst studying and played in the junior competition and am very disappointed as to why a club like Penrith is struggling with memberships and crowds when they have such a large base to draw from, as well as success recently, and feeding some of the best juniors in the competition. Panthers on the prowl is a terrific start, and could probably be the basis for marketing campaigns.
There was never much promotion, aside from outside the stadium, which as you would all know is not a place where people will drive past often, and the Westfield rarely advertised games until the teamstore came into existence, which is the central hub for the area.
This would not be any kind of "attack" piece, but rather noting the many difficulties which the Panthers have facing them going forward in what should be a powerhouse club.
There are other difficulties, like ex-pats moving from other suburbs and taking their loyalties with them, etc, but would like to cover all the bases to give the fans a solid idea of what is and isn't being done.

Claws Panther

Juniors
Hi Paddy
Firstly have you tried contacting the club directly? Andrew Farrell the media manager should be able to steer you in the right direction. It would be great to get a piece out there that was factual and unbiased rather than the sensationlising, apolocalypic dooms day pieces that are often written.
Firstly I would like you to ask yourself this. Why do you think Panthers are struggling in membership? They have hit record numbers and generate more $$$ in memberships than many other NRL clubs?
If your answer is "because they have the lowest amount of members" then definately do some research into what it is to be called a member. Panthers are often criticised in the media for not offering a "non-ticketed" membership package. But if you sell a property and this does not entitle someone to go to the footy or vote then I fail to see how this is anything more than just a merchandise pack?

Latest numbers that I could find:
Sharks non-ticketed = 3500 ticketed = 3015 total = 6515
Panthers non-ticketed = 0 ticketed = 6242 total = 6242
West tigers non-ticketed = 792 ticketed = 5954 total = 6746

Doing the math with the average non-ticketed package at $70 and the average ticketed package at $200 looks like revenue is similar to these numbers:
Sharks $848000 Panthers $1,248400 West Tigers $1,246240
Not to forget that ticketed membership is a much higher GP and much less churn rate than non-ticketed packages?

Knowing that Panthers have more ticketed members that the Tigers must make your think doesnt it?

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
I would like a non-ticketed member package thanks very much. I live in South Sydney and don't see the value in paying for a membership which includes money spent on tickets that I will rarely use. I don't feel like driving back out to Penrith every second weekend. I would, however still like to show my support of the club.

Claws Panther

Juniors
I would like a non-ticketed member package thanks very much. I live in South Sydney and don't see the value in paying for a membership which includes money spent on tickets that I will rarely use. I don't feel like driving back out to Penrith every second weekend. I would, however still like to show my support of the club.
Is that not the real question? What value is the word membership? If buying a jersey actually contibutes more to the club than buying a non-ticketed membership that is just merchandise are you more a member if you buy a jersey even though it is not called a membership?

To me some clubs membership packages are just ripping their supporters off by charging $60 for a $20 scarf and a keyring?
At the end of the day a ticket only costs the club the paper it is printed on so if you buy a membership and dont use the tickets are you just paying for the priveldge to called a member?

Should panthers just sell a membership at the same price and inclusions but drop the tickets? Is it just the perception that the tickets make the price go up??

It is an interesting topic and i am keen to hear everyones thoughts. If you dont go to the footy and dont vote what does membership mean to you? Is it just a donation?

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Thanks for the info. I'm just waiting for Andrew to get back to me, he normally does pretty quickly. I'm just trying to get a gauge of what is and isn't being done effectively, and as the memberships minus non-ticketed are more, then that would be a much more solid basis to further build numbers.
The crowds that the Panthers could generate are hit pretty hard by location as well I think, not a lot of people want to travel all the way to the Riff for a game, and the ground isn't that accessible from the station.
I'll be very interested to find the full extent of the partnership between the leagues club and the team, especially due to the financial situation of the leagues club, and whether they could get out of footing the bill for junior development, Panthers on the Prowl, etc.
The Western Sydney Academy looks pretty good though, as well as the new gym.

Doomednow

Bench
Is that not the real question? What value is the word membership? If buying a jersey actually contibutes more to the club than buying a non-ticketed membership that is just merchandise are you more a member if you buy a jersey even though it is not called a membership?

To me some clubs membership packages are just ripping their supporters off by charging $60 for a $20 scarf and a keyring?
At the end of the day a ticket only costs the club the paper it is printed on so if you buy a membership and dont use the tickets are you just paying for the priveldge to called a member?

Should panthers just sell a membership at the same price and inclusions but drop the tickets? Is it just the perception that the tickets make the price go up??

It is an interesting topic and i am keen to hear everyones thoughts. If you dont go to the footy and dont vote what does membership mean to you? Is it just a donation?

Are you saying that the tickets don't make the price go up? They aren't just selling a piece of paper as you suggest, but a seat at the game that could potentially be filled by someone paying more than a members price. Of course they affect the price of the membership. I fail to see how having a non ticketed membership is a rip off. If that was the case the other clubs wouldn't be selling any of them. They are hardly the only option.

Though I rarely make it to games anymore I still want to throw my support behind the club in a material sense. It's a pledge of support to a club you feel an affinity with. I've supported the team ever since my grandfather (now deceased) bought me a pair of panthers footy socks over 20 years ago. Moving out of the area shouldn't bar me from supporting the team I am passionate about. As far as the administration cares apparently I'm not worth the bother. One would think that a club with a support base that can sometimes seem embarrassingly small compared to the other clubs would be keen to retain all the support it can.

Last edited:

Claws Panther

Juniors
Are you saying that the tickets don't make the price go up? They aren't just selling a piece of paper as you suggest, but a seat at the game that could potentially be filled by someone paying more than a members price. Of course they affect the price of the membership. I fail to see how having a non ticketed membership is a rip off. If that was the case the other clubs wouldn't be selling any of them. They are hardly the only option.

Though I rarely make it to games anymore I still want to throw my support behind the club in a material sense. It's a pledge of support to a club you feel an affinity with. I've supported the team ever since my grandfather (now deceased) bought me a pair of panthers footy socks over 20 years ago. Moving out of the area shouldn't bar me from supporting the team I am passionate about. As far as the administration cares apparently I'm not worth the bother. One would think that a club with a support base that can sometimes seem embarrassingly small compared to the other clubs would be keen to retain all the support it can.

I think you missed my point. I was simply asking the question how much is the word membership worth? If you knew you would get nothing in return apart from the right to call yourself a member how much would you pay?
Again please dont take this the wrong way because I know that Panthers are about to release thier mid season membership which have their non-ticketed packages included in them as they do every year.

If by purchasing a jersey you contribute more to the club than by buying a non-ticketed membership would you consider a "Jersey membership" This membership might cost between $160 and $180 but you get an exclusive jersey and some membership items like the cap and sticker?

I think the sharks have something like this which looks great.

Oh yeh and if Nathan Tinkler's proposals are any gauge of what a ticket to the game is actually worth it makes you wonder doesnt it?

griffo346

First Grade
Im a panther through n through but however i aint a ticketed memeber or anthing tbh i buy the jersey every time in changes (which i think is crazy the amount of times it changes) but however i think wearing the club attire more so means your more value to the club rather having a ticket around your head

Doomednow

Bench
I think you missed my point. I was simply asking the question how much is the word membership worth? If you knew you would get nothing in return apart from the right to call yourself a member how much would you pay?
Again please dont take this the wrong way because I know that Panthers are about to release thier mid season membership which have their non-ticketed packages included in them as they do every year.

If by purchasing a jersey you contribute more to the club than by buying a non-ticketed membership would you consider a "Jersey membership" This membership might cost between $160 and $180 but you get an exclusive jersey and some membership items like the cap and sticker?

I think the sharks have something like this which looks great.

Oh yeh and if Nathan Tinkler's proposals are any gauge of what a ticket to the game is actually worth it makes you wonder doesnt it?

Does the jersey membership put you on the mailing list and give you some other member's benefits (apart from entry to the game, of course)? Rather than just owning a jersey you want to feel involved with the club for your support. Serious question.

EDIT: Also, sort of derailed thread. Paddyboy needs info.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Paddy any luck in getting info from the club?

When the article is complete please post it here, i am sure the Panther fans here would love to have a read.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
I'll definitely post it here, it might be a while because I don't want to leave any stone unturned, and I need to make sure the information is accurate, I don't have the same lawyers as the Tele so I have to make sure my information is, how do you say it, true.