What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inglis among eight players charged

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.nrl.com/inglis-among-nine-players-charged/tabid/10874/newsid/68815/default.aspx

Inglis among nine players charged

Andrew Bryan NRL.com Mon, Jul 23, 2012 - 4:45 PM

South Sydney fullback Greg Inglis is facing a five match suspension while seven other players were charged by the NRL match review committee on Monday after a dramatic Round 20 of the NRL Telstra Premiership.

Inglis, Penrith’s Travis Burns, Brisbane’s Ben Te’o and Josh Hoffman, St George Illawarra’s Dan Hunt, Josh Miller and Trent Merrin and Canberra’s Josh Papalii are all facing charges from the weekend’s games.

Inglis was charged with a Grade four Dangerous Contact – shoulder, for his tackle on Dragons forward Dean Young in the 33rd minute of the Rabbitohs’ 36-14 victory at ANZ Stadium on Saturday night.

The charge means Inglis could miss up to five matches, which is a massive blow to South Sydney’s aspirations to finish in the top four.

The Queensland and Australia representative will miss four games with an early plea, but could miss up to five matches if he fights the charge at the NRL Judiciary and loses.

South Sydney may also elect to dispute the grading which could result in a reduced suspension if successful at the NRL judiciary.

If Inglis is suspended for an extended period, Nathan Merritt would be the obvious choice to fill the void for South Sydney, after the try-scoring machine bagged another hat-trick at the weekend. Merritt showed his potential at fullback last season scoring 10 tries in just three games, including an incredible five tries in one match.

Penrith Panthers five-eighth Travis Burns is set to miss the rest of the season after he was charged for two separate incidents in his side’s 28-16 victory over the Roosters at Centrebet Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Burns was charged with a Grade 2 Dangerous Contact – Unnessary arm/shoulder pressure for his chicken-wing style tackle on Roosters forward Mose Masoe and was also slapped with a Grade 3 High Tackle – intentialonal, for his tackle on Roosters forward Martin Kennedy.

Burns was sent-off for his shot on Kennedy, becoming only the second player this season to be given his marching orders after Dragons forward Matt Prior was sent from the field in Round 9.

Burns is facing up to 12 weeks for the high shot on Kennedy and four weeks for the tackle on Masoe.

If the Panthers take the early plea to both charges, the five-eighth would be ruled out for a total of 12 matches.

Brisbane’s Ben Te’o is facing a week suspension after he was charged with a Grade 2 careless high-tackle on Titans forward Luke Bailey.

Teammate Josh Hoffman is facing a two week suspension for a tackle on Bailey after he was slapped with a Grade 2 Dangerous Contact charge. The Broncos fullback would however only miss one match with an early plea.

Dragons trio Hunt, Merrin and Miller have all been charged with Grade 1 careless high tackles, but will be free to play at the weekend.

Canberra’s Josh Papalii was charged with a Grade 1 dangerous contact with kicker, but will be free to play if he takes the early guilty plea.

Last edited:

gronkathon

First Grade
Yet Cameron Smith does worse than what Blair missed a week for and not even a charge. Well done MRC you spastics. Players only seem to get pinged now after they leave Bellamy

BranVan3000

Coach
The Burns swinging arm was far worse than the Inglis tackle in intent. I also don't see how Inglis's shoulder charge is worse than Hoffmans which was flush in the jaw too, besides the speed of the impact. Typical.

gronkathon

First Grade
I know I shouldn't be but we were fed this dross about Blairs suspension being a line in the sand etc...... silly me believed it

Vic Mackey

Referee
Smiths is the one with the most intent yet no charge. And to think I thought the IC would change the ridiculous newsltd bias.

Absolute farce

yobbo84

Coach
The fact that they mention in the article that Souths may elect to dispute the grading means that the NRL expect them to do so. Which also alludes that they think the grading is too high. Right.

gronkathon

First Grade
The Burns swinging arm was far worse than the Inglis tackle in intent. I also don't see how Inglis's shoulder charge is worse than Hoffmans which was flush in the jaw too, besides the speed of the impact. Typical.

I think the - shoulder after the charge for GI throws it into a differeent category alltogether. In that there are worse reckless shots with swinging arms in the comparisson and I doubt there is much worse than GI's for shoulder contact. The MRC gave it the same grading as Teo didnt they?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In summary:

Greg Inglis 4 weeks (5 if guilty after contesting)
Travis Burns 12 weeks (16 if guilty after contesting)
Josh Hoffman 1 week (2 if guilty after contesting)
Ben Te'o 1 week
Josh Miller, Dan Hunt, Trent Merrin and Josh Papalii 0 weeks.

BDR

First Grade

Hoffman hit Bailey flush on the nose trying to hit the ball out. High contact and worthy of a holiday but nothing close to the Inglis shoulder charge.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The fact that they mention in the article that Souths may elect to dispute the grading means that the NRL expect them to do so. Which also alludes that they think the grading is too high. Right.

are you related to Bunniesderp?

BranVan3000

Coach
Hoffman hit Bailey flush on the nose trying to hit the ball out. High contact and worthy of a holiday but nothing close to the Inglis shoulder charge.

Yeah how is going in and punching a bloke in the face not worse.? Inglis messed up a legal tackle, Hoffman punched a player in the face

Grapple

Bench
Yeah but Hoffman learnt that from Inglis. Except he made the mistake of hitting Bailey, instead of a woman.

Danish

Referee
Is this the first time ever that a player has been hit with an intentional high tackle charge? Can't say I can ever recall one before as most that bad tend to just be referred straight to the judiciary.

As for Inglis, grade 4 seems about right to me. Can't really see how they can fight it.

Smith being a protected species though really shouldn't shock anyone anymore. The bloke got 1 week for trying to rip Thaiday's head clean off his shoulders, and even that was done while the MRC rubbed a tear from their eye so no surprises here.

Latest posts