What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injuries a blessing?

marty65

Juniors
What about Whare? He was a joke as a fullback. As a centre he looks like a champion. I remember most of the forum calling for this positional move about 4 weeks before it finally happened. And it only happened because of injury to Naiqama. I wonder how long it would have taken had the injury/ies didn't happen.

Graftonpanther

Juniors
Yes Whare has gone from strength to strength since being moved to Centre, definitely his best spot, will be there for a long time.

marty65

Juniors
I actually like both our centres now. Brown had a blinder there last night too. I dont know why a lot of people on here are so keen to move him back to the forwards asap. We got plenty of forwards. Not as many quality centres though. I say dont fix what aint broke.

chrisD

Coach
He's played over 20 games at centre, probably 30, most of 2011 there, I base my opinion on that, he's serviceable but he's not a centre. I want him out of centre because he's not a centre and we have centres, and the longer Brown lingers there the less likely it will be Cleary will move him out, this is a coach whose ideal centre combination at one stage was Brown and Mannering.

soc123_au

Staff member
I agree Brown is doing a good job filling in, but I prefer him in the second row. A few times he has gone for the line himself when he should have put Robinson away. On the other side of the field Whare is playing exactly as a good centre should. If Roberts/Satini/Jennings etal can step up I think long term we will be better for it.

marty65

Juniors
We have centres? Who? I still have memories (or should I say nightmares) about what was going on out wide a few weeks ago. I have no problem with moving Brown back to the forwards....but I will need a better reason than saying that Brown is a better backrower than a centre. Find me someone who will do a better job than Brown in the centres. Somebody who can smash guys in defence, can pass a ball and can do a job in attack. These days there isn't that much difference between playing in the centres or the backrow.

marty65

Juniors
Roberts, Satini or Jennings?? Yep, they have potential. Are they all ready to play 1st grade (in the centres) this year? They are all a bit on the small side. How will they cope with the likes of Idris running at them for 80 minutes? I got my doubts.

soc123_au

Staff member
We need speed in the centres, Brown doesnt provide that. We have a side that can promote good second phase play, we need a bit of pace to turn those half chances into tries.

chrisD

Coach
That's Cleary 2011 like thinking and it's scary. Anyway Barrett just said Roberts will be back in a few weeks(? maybe he meant match fit) and will probably find himself in the team somewhere.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
I'm fine with Brown there for the time being but would like Roberts to get a crack in a few weeks. The alternative currently is bringing Tighe up and then we're probably stuck with him. It's a lot easier to move Brown to second row than drop Tighe when one of our young centres is demanding selection.

soc123_au

Staff member
Marty, Centres arent expected to make 30 tackles a game. A good attacking player can usually be coached to be an adequete defender. Look at M Jennings, when he hit 1st grade he was a bit average in defence, now he is very safe & still burns teams in attack. No reason his Brother cant be the same, or Roberts, Santini etc.

marty65

Juniors
Scoring tries didn't seem to be a problem last night. How many do you want?...:lol:. I'm not saying that we should keep Brown in the centres forever. But I also think that making changes after we beat the best team in the comp and demolished the Warriors doesn't seem like a very good idea...:?. Maybe we can think about it if we lose the next of games (hope not!!). Also it would be nice if someone put their hand up for a centre spot with some good performances for Windsor. Maybe Roberts can do that. I dont know.

soc123_au

Staff member
I would have liked a few more tries against the Storm. I like the fact we have someone like Brown that can cover the position when needed. Long term Backrowers out in the Centres is never a good idea.

marty65

Juniors
Yes. Please dont anybody mention Naiqama, Daniela or Tighe as possible centre replacements for Brown...:crazy:. Or I might throw up. Mansour is a winger. I doubt he would be any good in the centres. I doubt that Jennings or Satini are ready. That leaves just Roberts as a possibility. And he has to prove that he could do the job. TBH, I think he is more of a fullback or winger. But I am ready to be proven wrong. So where are the other centres I keep hearing about?

soc123_au

Staff member
People have mentioned Austin as a chance in the Centres, I dont really see it as it would be similar to having Brown out there but with better ballplaying ability.

marty65

Juniors
Austin could be a possibility. Better suited to 5/8, but i think he could do the job in the centres. He is injured though. So that leaves Roberts. he has the chance to grab the spot in the next few weeks....if he is good enough. I'm just saying that we should not move Brown from there, without a very good reason (an adequate replacement).

Graftonpanther

Juniors
I would leave Brown there until we either sign a good centre or Jennings and co are ready, we have more than enough Backrowers to cover for Brown again next year if required.

Brown is doing a great job in defence at centre and I do not want Naiqama, Daniela or Tighe put back there that would be a big step backwards IMO.

Big Mick

Referee
I would have liked a few more tries against the Storm. I like the fact we have someone like Brown that can cover the position when needed. Long term Backrowers out in the Centres is never a good idea.

LOL f**k me dead you don't want much, a flogging of the Storm? lol. Come on mate...lets not forget where we are right now compared to the Storm. lol

The Storm very rarely let teams flog them and we scored 3 good tries against them, it was just kicking last week that let us down otherwise it was 18-0 and if Segeyaro had held the ball for his run in the 2nd half would have been 24-0...not many teams put that on the Storm.

Roberts/Jennings/Satini will be in that centre position in a few weeks and Brown back to the backrow with Newton gone.

IMO.

Big Mick

Referee
People have mentioned Austin as a chance in the Centres, I dont really see it as it would be similar to having Brown out there but with better ballplaying ability.

Long Term...the more I've thought about Austin's position in the team I believe his best shot is in the centres.

Austin isn't really big enough for the backrow as yet and imo is a good size for a centre with adequate speed for the position and he is able to set up his winger.

The games I've seen him in the centres he has been exceptional.