What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injuries a blessing?

marty65

Juniors
So no, I can't see how he is outperforming both of them. He looks better because the team is looking a shit load better.

So you dont think that Brown's move into the centres has improved our team performance...even just a little bit?? No, I guess it must just be some kind of divine intervention which is making the team play better lately, huh? Funny how it has just coincided with a few positional changes, including Brown's.

Whilst I didn't agree with you, I thought that you were making some sense on this topic Chris. But that was until you made the above statement. Brown not playing better than Naiqama was???:crazy:. You obviously didn't see much of our early season games, did you? Wes cant tackle and his hands aren't that good either. No wonder Wayne Bennett is paying him NOT to play for Newcastle...:lol:.

marty65

Juniors
LOL. Dont worry Grafton Panther. It took me a while to figure it out too a few weeks ago...:eek:.

Just 1 more point I'd like to mention about Lewis Brown. He came to the Panthers with a stated intention to cement a spot in the backrow (that would be my 1st preference also), but desperate times call for desperate measures. We have plenty of forwards, but due to a lack of talent and injuries, we are very bare in the centres right now. So without any complaints or drop in form, Brown comes to the rescue to play in a less favoured position to help the team out. To me that shows what a good team-man he is. Very good signing he was!

Pomoz

Bench
LOL. Dont worry Grafton Panther. It took me a while to figure it out too a few weeks ago...:eek:.

Just 1 more point I'd like to mention about Lewis Brown. He came to the Panthers with a stated intention to cement a spot in the backrow (that would be my 1st preference also), but desperate times call for desperate measures. We have plenty of forwards, but due to a lack of talent and injuries, we are very bare in the centres right now. So without any complaints or drop in form, Brown comes to the rescue to play in a less favoured position to help the team out. To me that shows what a good team-man he is. Very good signing he was!

+1

Graftonpanther

Juniors
Yes I agree about being a good signing, we have gone ok in that regard, Manu, Brown, Seg, have all performed very well for us and we certainly have gotten good value for money from them. Whare has come along now he has been moved to centre.

John and Masoe are starting to show they will be good value for money as well.

Shows good buying nous from the club, better than in previous years, thankfully we didn't sign someone like Blair, but then again the Tigers are where we were when Elliott left, so may not be all his fault.

chrisD

Coach
Blah blah blah The best centres in the game for the last 6 or 7 years have been Hodges and Inglis, neither of them are built like Gagai or Jennings lol.

Even if you dont think Lewis has outperformed them you just admitted the team has been a shitload better, so why change it when it is working?
Because Lewis doesnt have the right build lol what a joke.
]

Such a moronic argument. They've been the best because despite their size they still have the foot speed and maneuverability of a centre. Their size is a bonus, not a sacrifice for the basic attributes of a centre. I would change the team to improve it where deficiencies are clear.

And by the way Lewis is listed as 179cm tall and 97kgs. Jennings 180cm tall and 94kg so 4kg and 1cm is the big difference between them. That is taken from their current playing profiles.

Yeah and Jennings is all quads and ass and Brown is shoulder breadth. Are you seriously going to argue Brown and Jennings are built the same?

So you dont think that Brown's move into the centres has improved our team performance...even just a little bit?? No, I guess it must just be some kind of divine intervention which is making the team play better lately, huh? Funny how it has just coincided with a few positional changes, including Brown's.

Whilst I didn't agree with you, I thought that you were making some sense on this topic Chris. But that was until you made the above statement. Brown not playing better than Naiqama was???:crazy:. You obviously didn't see much of our early season games, did you? Wes cant tackle and his hands aren't that good either. No wonder Wayne Bennett is paying him NOT to play for Newcastle...:lol:.

Funny how Brown's positional change didn't help in Newcastle, yet the next week it apparently did. Tighe and Wes are bog average centres, and Wes is a better FB than a centre, but they're genuine back line players and not the complete gumbies they were made to look in the dysfunctional team performances we were dishing out earlier in the season. I watch all our games, most multiple times, what's obvious is that not a lot of people here watched much of the Warrior's 2011 or back end of 2012.

It doesn't matter, he'll be centre against the Dragons and very possibly make way against the Tigers.

betcats

Referee
Hey Chris, you should try sticking your dick in and out of a cheese grater repeatedly, I think you might enjoy it.

mxlegend99

Referee
Brown is a better centre then Tighe. Naiqama, Daniela etc. and anyone arguing otherwise is an idiot. Sure it's not his best position, nor is he perfectly suites to the position. But with what is/was available, he is the best option. When James Roberts is match fit, he slots in without doubt.

The only thing Brown lacks is pace. Which isn't always going to hurt him as some teams won't give the speedsters room to get moving. When there's no space, a guy like Brown can be more effective anyway as he doesnt need space to be at his best.

franklin2323

Immortal
Brown is a better centre then Tighe. Naiqama, Daniela etc. and anyone arguing otherwise is an idiot. Sure it's not his best position, nor is he perfectly suites to the position. But with what is/was available, he is the best option. When James Roberts is match fit, he slots in without doubt.

The only thing Brown lacks is pace. Which isn't always going to hurt him as some teams won't give the speedsters room to get moving. When there's no space, a guy like Brown can be more effective anyway as he doesnt need space to be at his best.

Spot on. The 2 Robinson's being quick helps cover for that.

Graftonpanther

Juniors
Roberts in for Brown tonight, didn't look to bad, looked dangerous on a few occasions, the change was coming when Roberts was ready. He was maybe a tad nervous, to be expected.

Hopefully he makes a good fist of it, we did not seem to lose to much with Roberts moving to centre, hopefully give us some good strike down his side.

Ikin kept saying the Dragons should run at him but he seemed to do ok.

Roberts replacing Brown is something which I think we have all been waiting for.

I still think Brown did a good job while he was there though, Brown's versatility is a big asset for our team IMO.

Last edited:

TeamSatan

Juniors
We should not underrate LB..he's a mean ugly critter that adds some great hardness and starch to a green team....
Who cares where he plays...as long as he does.

hardbaby

Coach
Just saw this thread. I was saying the same thing to my mate watching the game tonight. Panthers have the best juniors at the moment. We all know it. What we didn't expect was for injuries to force the coaches hand and for all these young guys to play so well so early. Really happy for your team. You are playing great footy and it's all because of your juniors. Congrats on beating the Dragons tonight. You were by far the better team.

Pomoz

Bench
We should not underrate LB..he's a mean ugly critter that adds some great hardness and starch to a green team....
Plus 1.

He is so enthusiastic and in your face, I would drop Manu every time before I would drop Brown. Manu ran for 48m last night, every other forward (except Mose, more on that shortly) ran over 100m+.

Mose was only given 9 minutes by Ivan and in that time he ran for 49m, further than Manu in 53 minutes! Manu should be benched next game, with Robinson and Brown in the back row and Roberts in the centres.

chrisD

Coach
He could get a bit more involved but ultimately I don't want Manu doing too much of the hard stuff, he's a strike weapon. His effectiveness depends on how well the ball player on the right, which is mainly Walsh, uses him. Get him the same sort of service Robinson has had the last few weeks and he'll look much better.

murraymob

Coach
the combination and rotation by cleary is right.Manu is better equiped to handle the early hard yards than robinson who bends the line better coming on after 20.Brown offers a lot in that he can play anywhere and will shift more back in the forwards as roberts comes up to full game status

Pomoz

Bench
He could get a bit more involved but ultimately I don't want Manu doing too much of the hard stuff, he's a strike weapon. His effectiveness depends on how well the ball player on the right, which is mainly Walsh, uses him. Get him the same sort of service Robinson has had the last few weeks and he'll look much better.
Fair point Chris. However, I still think he could lift his work rate and go looking for the ball.

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair point Chris. However, I still think he could lift his work rate and go looking for the ball.

What you have to consider is at Melb he was on the left we have him on the right. So he will need to get used to playing on that side.

Early on his was great since he went off early against the roosters he has been quiet so may still be injured.

He should have more impact no doubt though he is an impact player & if he does too much work will lose effect.

Though on the brightside he barely gives away penalties like Melbourne days.

marty65

Juniors

:lol:. Very true!

I hope his injury the other night isn't too serious.
I am happy for Roberts to get an opportunity to show what he can do.
But perhaps Cleary should think about putting Brown back into the centres to smash Idris when we play the Titans again in a few weeks time.