What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Injury-plagued Seage is sidelined again

northey

First Grade
JUST when David Seage's fortunes looked like they were starting to turn, Lady Luck looked him in the eye, turned and walked away, deserting him once again.
The injury-plagued Newcastle fullback suffered cruciate damage to his right knee last night and will require a knee reconstruction - his second in three seasons. Seage was at home by the end of the match, his season, and his off-season, in all likelihood, over.
"He's done his cruciate, I suspect," club doctor Peter McGeoch said. "We'll get some tests done but we expect he'll need a reconstruction. He's devastated. He's been through a fairly trying time.
"But hopefully things go well this time and he won't miss too much of next season."
Seage suffered the injury in somewhat innocuous circumstances. Bringing the ball back on a kick return after just six minutes, he was heading into a waiting Matt Orford. But before he even got to the Manly halfback, he grimaced and fell to the surface. As the realisation kicked in, he yelled: "No."
The 26-year-old had already been one of the unluckiest players to pull on a rugby league boot. Brett Papworth meets Paul Green meets David Woods.
In 2004, his was the forgotten injury of the Newcastle season. Against the Eels at Parramatta Stadium, he ruptured his ACL - in his left knee - and needed a reconstruction. It raised barely a ripple because a certain teammate by the name of Andrew Johns went down with a similar injury in the same game.
Just to rub salt into some fairly deep wounds, his rehabilitation was complicated twice - by infection, and then when he fell trying to get out of the shower.
This season, he has suffered a number of hamstring injuries, but he no doubt thought his luck was about to turn. Just nine days ago, as he started preparing to head back to Queensland, the backing of Johns led to him being re-signed for next season. Then he was called into the starting side for last night's first qualifying final when Milton Thaiday succumbed to his ankle injury.
This was just Seage's 16th first-grade game for the Knights in his three seasons. His appearances in the top grade have only just shaded the flu for regularity.
It was not a good half for the Knights, even forgetting the scoreboard.
Second-rower Steve Simpson, probably only just below Johns and Danny Buderus in terms of importance for this side, damaged his shoulder after 15 minutes as he charged into Sea Eagles front-rower Jason King.
He did return late in the first half, but still faces a battle to be fit for their next clash, with McGeoch confirming a grade-two AC joint injury.

www.smh.com.au/sport

Kazaf

Juniors
I feel really sorry for Seage, there is no doubt about his talent and is one of the best fullbacks in the club.

Hope he gets his knee fixed, or near 100%.

We'll see you back in the field again Seage.
Good luck with with the reconstruction and rehab.
May luck be on your side this time.

XXXX Cap

Juniors
In six seasons for Wynnum, he only had one injury - did his hamstring against Redcliffe at Dolphin Oval in 2003.

Broke my heart to see what happened last night.

keeney

First Grade
Me too, I'm proud to say in his limited experience, and probably because of the limits placed upon his career he is one of my favourite players. I was absolutely shattered for him last night. I hope things come good during his recovery, and he makes it back next year.

strewth_mate

Bench
Watching him yell out in dismay last night was almost traumatic. It was bad enough the first time he went down in 2004, but for him to this time know exactly what happened almost straight away was horrible.

In a strange way I'm happy it's not the same knee, because it means he didn't waste all his time healing badly from the previous injury. But that's far outweighed by the fact that once again he's been raped by luck.

roopy

Referee
On the positive side - it is the right time for him to get the operation and be back very early next season - and he doesn't have to travel to Qld for rehab because he has done it all before and the rehab guy is a Knights employee now.
A trouble free rehab and he will almost be good for round one next year.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Yeah, my heart sank for they guy when he first went down. It was his chance to shine in a finals series after all his trauma.
All the best to ya mate, and we'll see you on the paddock next season.

~bedsy~

First Grade
strewth_mate said:
Watching him yell out in dismay last night was almost traumatic.
It was horrible, I was at the game and didn't see his face. But when I watched the Sunday Footy Show I saw his pain, it was so sad.

Alex28

Coach
In todays Newcastle Herald there was an article about him - he said he was going to Brisbane to get the reconstruction and wants to play next year - aims to be back by March or April next year. Said that having Scott Dickinson at the club will make a heap of difference this time around and has learned plenty on how to deal with the injury this time around.

My heart broke on Friday night - the guy seems to have alot of talent and is easy good enough to play First Grade - his luck however is just awful...

strewth_mate

Bench
~bedsy~ said:
It was horrible, I was at the game and didn't see his face. But when I watched the Sunday Footy Show I saw his pain, it was so sad.

For mine it wasn't so much the pain he was in, what got me was he seemed to ignore the obvious pain and yell out of disbelief. Seems he shares our thoughts on his wretched luck...

antonius

Coach
I really thought he'd chuck it in after Friday, but all credit to the guy, I hope he can get the op, have a trouble free recovery and get back on field next season. The guy deserves a change of luck, and a big round of applause for showing such courage.

keeney

First Grade
strewth_mate said:
For mine it wasn't so much the pain he was in, what got me was he seemed to ignore the obvious pain and yell out of disbelief. Seems he shares our thoughts on his wretched luck...

Totally, he looked like he was so angry at his body, and who can blame him.