What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intentional penalties - do the refs need to crack down?

BranVan3000

Coach
Considering the refs are flat out getting professional fouls right and sin binning players accordingly, you wanna put another grey area into the game?

I'm suggesting a pretty black and white interpretation. Five individual penalties and you're gone

Kiwi

First Grade
Did the Roosters deliberately foul to halt attacking plays, yep, more that other teams, yep, but they were still good enough to keep holding on for back to back sets etc. There definitely needs to be more use of the sin bin. I am kinda over watching a team make a break only to watch the cover foul for a penalty with no sin bin. Certain try turns into a repeat set, I know which any team defending would take because the refs are too gutless to put a player in the bin. I guess the problem is so much pressure is put on the refs that they lack the confidence required to sin bin someone.

BranVan3000

Coach
Did the Roosters deliberately foul to halt attacking plays, yep, more that other teams, yep, but they were still good enough to keep holding on for back to back sets etc. There definitely needs to be more use of the sin bin. I am kinda over watching a team make a break only to watch the cover foul for a penalty with no sin bin. Certain try turns into a repeat set, I know which any team defending would take because the refs are too gutless to put a player in the bin. I guess the problem is so much pressure is put on the refs that they lack the confidence required to sin bin someone.

I blame Gould and the Newspapers. No other sport I follow has such an unprofessional attitude to the refs from the media. Frankly I'd prefer if the media took the side of the refs, instead they are constantly undermined. Fans can bitch all they want because thats what fans do but when the actual commentators are doing it then it can damage the game and the way officials operate.

chrisD

Coach
Teams last season got away with only being penalised for tackling support players before they got the ball in definite try scoring opportunities. The refs have to use the sin bin for this, it's too good a penalty to give away otherwise.

roosters-celebrate-grand-final-win.jpg

4986446-3x2-700x467.jpg

Danish

Referee
Can someone pick out anothe game besides a 3 penalty run against Newcastle (1 conceded during a turnover mind you) in round 20 that the Roosters were apparently employing this alleged tactic?

Howie

Juniors
The Roosters have long been the most ill disciplined side in the comp. I doubt it's deliberate

basically they're just stupid.

POPEYE

Coach
Ah, so that's why the quick tap has been reintroduced . . . trust the NRL to come up with a way of jeopardising a club's chances of back to back

Rosetta

Juniors
If anything the penalties kept the competition closer than it really was, rarely see a team dominate a majority of the key attacking and defensively stats in the same season which the Roosters did.

Lambretta

First Grade
Ah, so that's why the quick tap has been reintroduced . . . trust the NRL to come up with a way of jeopardising a club's chances of back to back

Yep pretty much - the NRL is super proud that different teams win each year

The last time the Roosters won the Premiership in 2002 the NRL introduced a crackdown on gang tackles (which Ricky got the Roosters doing to great success).

I can see the quick tap is designed to prevent teams giving away penalties to re-set their defensive line.

ek999

First Grade
The problem with the quick tap rule is that most of the intentional penalties (by all the top teams) were given away within 10m of their own try line. This will mean that the quick tap won't be available to the opposition. A sin bin or two in the early rounds (or preferably the trials to stop the early rounds having a lot of sin bins) will stop them from doing it quick smart.

Latest posts