What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting Stat for Next Year

hardbaby

Coach
Melbourne errors - 13th
Bulldogs errors - 15th
Rabbits - errors 8th
Cowboys - errors - 14th

Yep, out of the top 4 teams last year, three of them came in the bottom 4 in terms of errors and one only just finished in the top half.

Just goes to show that it's hard to grind out wins Bennett-style. It's hard to defend your way to the title. Times are changing. It's about points now. We really need a drastic change next year. I hope Price is up to it. Guys like Drinkwater, King, Runciman, Chase, Beale, Cummins...they are the solution.

Mr Red

First Grade
are you sure that doesnt meant least amount of errors??
ie first on the list would be the team making the most errors....

pretty certain teams like the eels and panthers would have made way more errors then bulldogs

hardbaby

Coach
Nope. Have a look at the nrl part of the online telecrap. There is a report card on all teams that shows lots of stats. The best teams all made lots of errors. It's just that when they had the ball, they did a lot with it. They performed very well in all major attacking stats.

FYI, Parra were the 4th best teams in terms of errors but had dismal attacking stats and the Panthers were the 5th best team in terms of errors but scored very few tries. So when you compare the top teams to the bottom teams it just makes the observation more valid.

It is a very, very telling set of statistics and well worth the read. It also partially explains why the Dragons finished mid-table despite having the 3rd lowest error count.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Sometimes I guess it doesn't matter if you can put points on the board ;) I re watched the 2010 gf win and dragons made more errors and had a lower completion rate vs roosters but still smashed them!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Swings and roundabouts....

Flavour of the month is attacking footy, so teams switch to that style of play..

Until one coach for a against the grain and plays an awesome defensive style and throws the others off their game... (ala Bennett with us..)

Then teams start focussing on the grind... And then one coach starts playing extreme attack again and beats the others...

At the end of the day the most complete team should be able to defeat one of extreme attack or extreme defence.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Interesting stat is Saints came last in attack. If they finished mid table they would have probably made the 8. Who cares about any other stats the attack was the main issue Saints have and cost them a good solid season.

Ace-STi

Juniors
Interesting stat is Saints came last in attack. If they finished mid table they would have probably made the 8. Who cares about any other stats the attack was the main issue Saints have and cost them a good solid season.

Those two golden point games vs panthers and bunnies back to back cost us the top 8 berth!

Breathingfire

Juniors
We should start deliberately making some more mistakes and see if that improves our attack?!

If anything, the speed in which we went through our paces last year was really off...I think that was why we struggled to score points. Everything was on the back of excruciatingly slow play the balls and the shifts across the back line were pedestrian at best. We need to really up the tempo of our sets and with some younger guys coming into the grade, hopefully that happens. I love Young, Hornby, Fien and co. but there lack of speed was really noticeable last year.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Id be interested to see the Defensive Stats too.. Errors arent everything.

Even though the Dragons performed so well in 2009-2011, our attack was 'juuuuuuust' enough, games were tight, if things didnt bounce our way (ref especially), or we got behind, it was a 50/50 proposition who was in front on the final hooter.

The difference I guess if you watch a Cowboys in particular, but Dogs/Storm too, I mean they are attacking non-stop & going the length of the field to score.., they take a lot of chances with short passes to Bowen/Slater/Barba in particular, doesnt always come off.. but I guess its all about Points Scored exceeding ur Points Conceeded.

hardbaby

Coach
I think one of the key things is that there are just so many freakishly talented footy players out there, you just can't contain them for 80 minutes. Barba, Hayne, Inglis, Slater, Cronk etc. These guys are going to score points. Defence is obviously crucial. But fandamentally you need to score points and lots of them. That's why I would love Rangi Chase to come back. He is dangerous and players feed off him.

_Johnsy

Referee
Ball control and effective defence are the key to success. Has been for the last 100 years and will continue to be so.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Best Stat is if you chaet the salary cap you win the comp in 2 years. Storm and Dogs have proven that theory. So Doust should sign up all the players he can. Get caught early in the season and told he cannot compete for 2013 and in 2014 the comp will be ours.

Also the Media will have sympathy for you for cheating and getting caught and the NRL will let you get away with whatever you want so you don't disgrace them again. You all of a sudden become the most professional club and the pinacle of all clubs so other teams can follow.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Those two golden point games vs panthers and bunnies back to back cost us the top 8 berth!

Panthers were last at the time from memory and getting hammered by every team and the Saints struggled that game. Panthers were the better team for most of it.

They also scored 2 tries both games which is not enough most times to win games.