What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International rules??????????

XXXX

Juniors
The matches are on the 18th and 25th October at Subiaco and MCG .
Subiaco sold out quietly as soon as it opened because they offered first dibs to eagles and Dockers members .

bucko

Juniors
The international game is known as Gaelic football isn't it?? I don't think the Irish know our rules..

No, there is a distinct set of rules for the game, combining elements of both sports. For the Aussies, they have to get used to a round ball. The Irish have to get used to tackling and the mark.

There are still four posts but the middle posts have a crossbar on them - you get six points under the bar, three points over the bar and one for a minor score. So that's a combination of the two games.

I think the idea of playing one Aussie Rules game and one gaelic game has been tried in the past but it's as pointless as the union vs league games that have been played - each side wins its own code comfortably.

There has been a huge home disadvantage in the last few years - probably because, being a different game to what the players are normally used to, the travelling side has more opportunity to gel as a team while in camp together.

Go the Irish!

grayham

Juniors
2 games this year in Australia - of International Rules. Hybrid. Biggest differences for Irish is tackling, Aussies is round ball, but tactically and flow very similar.

1st game is in Perth (first time Perth has hosted a game) is On October 18th (I think). 40,000 tickets sold, so will probably sell out.

2nd Game is in Melbourne on Oct 31st. The day before the Aus v Irel RU game in Melbourne, so an interesting double.

One thing that IR has over RU, is that the games are almost guaranteed to always be close.....simply because if one side starts to dominate, the rules will be tweaked/moved slightly in favour of the other code.

The Aussie squad for the International Rules series:

SQUAD: Leo Barry (Syd), Peter Bell (Frem), Mark Bickley (Adel), Clint Bizzell (Melb), Nathan Brown (Dogs), Peter Burgoyne (Port), Matthew Carr (Frem), Jared Crouch (Syd), Shane Crawford (Haw), Barry Hall (Syd), Brent Harvey (Roos), Paul Hasleby (Frem), Lenny Hayes (St K), Glen Jakovich (WC), Brad Johnson (Dogs), Chris Johnson (Bris), Brett Kirk (Syd), Robert Murphy (Dogs), Matthew Pavlich (Frem), Luke Power (Bris), Jade Rawlings (Haw), Matthew Scarlett (Geel), Adam Simpson (Roos), Rohan Smith (Dogs), Daniel Wells (Roos), David Wirrpunda (WC).

Looking forward to seeing Barry Hall square up in the games. The Irish team will be disappointed that there's no Aker - after he tried to mix it and came of second best last year. :lol:

XXXX

Juniors
It'll be interesting to see. Looking forward to it.
What type of jersey will they be using?
The series has come from nothing to packed houses in both countries .IR is faster than AR .Invariably the irish get a good start due to their superior use of the round ball and then the Aussies come storming back with superior fitness and strength .
The jerseys are gaelic style and Australia plays in it's now accepted colours of blue ,green and gold .

XXXX said:
The series has come from nothing to packed houses in both countries .IR is faster than AR .Invariably the irish get a good start due to their superior use of the round ball and then the Aussies come storming back with superior fitness and strength .

It will be interesting to see how the fitness and strength side of things pans out this year. The All-Ireland Championship has been dominated this year by teams from Ulster who play a more physical type of game than the rest of the country, and are correspondingly fitter.

Here's our squad:

Enda Murphy (Kildare)
Joe Bergin (Galway)
Declan Browne (Tipperary)
Graham Canty (Cork)
Kevin Cassidy (Donegal)
Paddy Christie (Dublin)
Colin Corkery (Cork)
Brendan Coulter (Down)
Gary Cox (Roscommon)
Cathal Daly (Offaly)
Brian Dooher (Tyrone)
Des Dolan (Westmeath)
Thomas Freeman (Monaghan)
Trevor Giles (Meath)
Joe Higgins (Laois)
Kevin Hughes (Tyrone)
Padraig Joyce (Galway)
Tomás Kelly (Laois)
Sean Martin Lockhart (Derry)
Anthony Lynch (Cork)
Cormac Mc Anallen (Tyrone)
Ciaran Mc Manus (Offaly)
Brian Mc Donald (Laois)
Steven Mc Donnell (Armagh)
Kieran Mc Geeney (Armagh)
Paul Mc Grane (Armagh)
Odhran O Dwyer (Clare)

A lot of newbies in there, so it's hard to say who will do well in the hybrid code. But I'd say look out for McGeeney, Lockhart and the veteran Giles. Colin Corkery, despite being a fat lad, is very skilful. And I'd have to mention Brendan Coulter as well.

The Observer

Staff member
The International Rules is bloody awesome - its really the only time I get interested in the AFL because the all Australian team is the best of the best and represents our country.

My question is, why didn't the AFL schedule a 3rd test to create a decider? Surely it would sell out in Adelaide as well? Alternatively, perhaps the Aboriginal All Stars could be included to create a 3 way series, considering that the All Stars play an annual game early evrey year and usually thump the AFL team they play against (this year Carlton were the targets). That would allow another AFL town e.g. Launceston/Hobart or Darwin to get an elite level game as well.

Surely the AFL could bring back their State of Origin post AFL season as a selection trial for the All Australian team to compete in this series?

XXXX

Juniors
Some good points there Joker .I've asked them myself .
Why not a tri-series agianst the US , Ny is big on Gaelic .

The Observer

Staff member
XXXX said:
Some good points there Joker .I've asked them myself .
Why not a tri-series agianst the US , Ny is big on Gaelic .

Do Ireland play any other country in Gaelic Football?

Joker said:
Do Ireland play any other country in Gaelic Football?

Not as such. London (and at various times New York) have teams in our All Ireland Championship. But an Irish rep team would just wipe the floor with any other nation in Gaelic football, just as Australia would in a pure Aussie Rules game.

I think there was an international rules game in New York recently between their gaelic players and aussie rules players. The gaelic boys won. :D Then again, we have a much bigger playing base there.

Are the IR sides chosen as the best players from their sport that year? Or do they select players with the hybrid rules in mind, players who'd be suited to the hybrid game itself?

Or, would it not make much difference?

A bit of both. Generally, you're going to pick the best players you've got available, but there are certain types of players who would be more suited to the hybrid game than others. From the gaelic point of view, we would tend to pick the bigger, more solidly built players who are going to be able to cope with the tackling. The Australians are going to pick the faster, more elusive players.

S2H

Juniors
Dean why is there no rep players from Kerry. They are always a strong county (about 35 championships) and did well again this year, but no reps (unless i'm blind)

I'm looking forward to this series as well. should be good. For some reason i thought kenelly would be playing fo the Irish like he did last year?

Latest posts