What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intimidation is sometimes relative, says Ian Hindmarsh

The Colonel

Immortal
Intimidation is sometimes relative, says Hindmarsh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parramatta second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh may terrorise most teams but he holds few fears for his older brother, Ian, when the pair clash for the first time in this Saturday's Raiders-Eels match at Canberra Stadium.

Ian, who turned 27 yesterday, was not expecting any gifts from his strapping 107kg baby brother until well after the dust settles on what shapes as the most bruising match of round four. Despite Ian just nudging 100kg, he warned Nathan, 24, can expect no favours from him either.

"I'm the older brother so I've always got the wood on him," Hindmarsh quipped.

"It's going to be a bit funny but I've played him plenty of times at home in the backyard and I know what I have to do.

"It wasn't ever too nasty in our backyard until someone got the shits. It was usually one-on-one or two-on-two with the sisters involved.

"But I'm not going to worry about him too much and just take on Parramatta on as a team. You can't just focus on him and I need to worry more about their whole team in general. I may not even get to tackle him."

But Hindmarsh conceded his brother looms as one of the dangermen of the Eels pack that the Raiders must stop to finish on top.

"Nathan played well at the end of last year and helped get them back on track," he said. "He's probably their main man to watch, so I'll have a lot of respect for him."

Hindmarsh admitted his relationship with Nathan was not as close as some brothers.

"Not really - we never have spoken a lot and we haven't got many common interests," he said.

"We don't fight or anything like that, but we are not as lovey-dovey as a few of the other boys I know are with their brothers. We talk about once a fortnight or month.

"Sometimes Nathan rings me up when he wants to know something or wants something done for him. It's a funny one and we are probably closer than we think because when it comes down to the crunch when there is a major decision in our lives, we tend to talk a fair bit then."

Hindmarsh was happy with his decision to leave Parramatta in 2002 after 71 first-grade appearances.

"Definitely no regrets," he said.

"At the Raiders, we have started off reasonably well this year and we had a great season last year. I'm enjoying my footy in Canberra.

"It was hard to leave a good bunch of blokes up there that I had been with for a long time such as my brother and Nathan Cayless, but I have made some good mates down here."

Hindmarsh said the Eels had bounced back well from their first round shellacking by the Bulldogs.

"It's hard for them to have too many bad days like that one against the Bulldogs, I expect them to be really tough this weekend," he said.

But he warned that the Raiders' forwards were the equal of the much vaunted Eels.

"Our pack hasn't changed and must be one of the strongest and more aggressive packs in the competition, so we are laughing and just have look after ourselves, not worry much about too many other people.

"Ruben Wiki has to be one of the greatest players that I've ever played with. You sit back and think that you've played with some of the greats at Parra, such as Jarrod McCracken, Dean Pay and Nathan Cayless but the guys down here are on par with them.

"I probably feel that we are a little bit more aggressive and more dominant team than the Parra side I used to play with," he said.

"I don't quite know why but we can really we go out and bash sides and that gives you some confidence when you see that each week.

"Size isn't really an issue for us. You look at Alan Tongue - he's probably one of the toughest blokes in the competition and he's only about 87kg. Size might cost you some mobility and it all works out equal in the end - it just depends on what your mentality is like."

Tongue said the Hindmarsh brothers are a handy pair of footballers.

"Both brothers are very hard-working forwards," Tongue said.

"I've been lucky to play with Ian and he's a great player to have in your side. He tackles his heart out and always runs as hard as he can - a great player.

"On his day, he's a great off-loader of the ball too. He's just one of those forwards that every side needs with all the work he does. He's always back there to take that first carry and to put the pressure on the opposition. He does a lot things that aren't always noticed.

"He leads more by actions than words."

half

Coach
ian sounds like my older brother, in denial his younger brother is better than him in every regard

Latest posts