What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inu no certainty: Kearney

The Colonel

Immortal
STEVE MASCORD

November 3, 2009 - 12:24PM
NZPA
Parramatta star Krisnan Inu is no guarantee to be called up for New Zealand's Four Nations Test against England on Saturday, despite the eye injury to centre Steve Matai, Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney has admitted.
Inu, a Test regular for three years who played 21 times for the Eels this year, has been on the outer for the entire Kiwis campaign after being rested from the warm-up Test against Tonga, with Newcastle's Junior Sau stealing the march on him for matches against Australia and France.
But he was seen as the obvious choice to replace Matai who will undergo further tests on his injured left eye in Manchester on Tuesday.
"I know Krisnan would do a good job but I have to look at the opposition and what is best for the team," Kearney said.
"I thought Sia Soliola did a good job when he moved into that position for Steve on Saturday night so there are a few options there. We haven't really made up our minds."
Kearney conceded that Inu's continuing exclusion would raise eyebrows and disappoint the player but he said he had been clear from the beginning that reputations would count for little during the tournament.
"I've said all along that teams will be picked on form and we will go with the people we think are best for the job at hand," he said.
Asked if form at training was an important factor in such selections, he said: "Well, what you are looking for is the full package."
Kearney was delighted on Monday to see injured forwards Bronson Harrison and Jeff Lima (both calf) stretch out on a treadmill to make strong plays for selection - which will come on Wednesday or Thursday.
"We hope they pick up the intensity in the next few days."
He responded to the looming excitement about prop Fuifui Moimoi's clash with Englishman Sam Burgess by saying: "Fui is a completely different person to the one who came here two years ago.
"The training staff who were here in 2007 say that he has changed enormously. Perhaps in 2007, he didn't really grasp what he had to do to be successful.
"His form throughout the season in the NRL this year shows his preparation and application are right up there now.
"There are going to be collisions. You've only got to look at the way Fui plays. It may be Sam, it may be Adrian (Morley), it may be Jamie (Peacock) but it is going to happen.
"You saw him on Saturday - Fui likes to run at bodies. I won't be saying anything to him about it."
And the coach disputed claims by Australian rival Tim Sheens that the Kiwis and English had resorted to violent "garbage" in tackles so far in the tournament.
"Us?" he said. "It's not something that I've really noticed much."
The Kiwis train again in Leeds on Tuesday. England had no organised media opportunity on Monday but are expected to open up their camp earlier in the week.

© 2009 NZPA

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/inu-no-certainty-kearney-20091103-hubt.html

Phillips

Referee
i dont think he's done enough to warrent a place in the side after this years form.

Inu last 4 games for Parra were close to the best of his life, kearney is just a wanker who plays favorites IMO.

bartman

Immortal
I'd have been more surprised if Inu was considered a certainty to come into the NZ side, given this year's overall form.

Rogue.9

Juniors
If Kearney had no intention of playing Inu then why did he bother taking him to England

Stagger eel

Staff member
putting emotion aside, the K man just doesn't deserve to be on tour imo.

I'd still play Matai and Sia infront of him.

Inu last 4 games for Parra were close to the best of his life, kearney is just a wanker who plays favorites IMO.

One of our Parra boys doesn't get picked and so now the Coach is a wanker.

Pffft.

Inu has done jack all for the last two seasons. He doesn't deserve the chance.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Inu's last 3 or 4 games for Parra showed what he can do. Soliola has been sh*t all year if they leave Inu out it may hurt them. But he was probably lucky to make the tour but he is the sort of guy that could lift for the big games.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
STEVE MASCORD

November 3, 2009 - 12:24PM
NZPA
Parramatta star Krisnan Inu is no guarantee to be called up for New Zealand's Four Nations Test against England on Saturday, despite the eye injury to centre Steve Matai, Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney has admitted.
Inu, a Test regular for three years who played 21 times for the Eels this year, http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/inu-no-certainty-kearney-20091103-hubt.html

Since when is Inu a test regular? He's only played 2 tests for the Kiwis both in 2007.

Bigfella

Coach
Kiwi RL team has always reaped the rewards of picking the most natrually talented players despite form. They have the ability to be lifted by the experience of playing test footy, the recognition of their culture, and their patriotism and opportunity to represent their various Kiwi and Polynesian heritages.

If you want to take the hard line and say only consistent players deserve selection you don;t pick a lot of blokes in their current lineup- including Nuuasala, Harrison, Soiaola, Sa, Pritchard, even Marshall.

TBH if Matai doesn't play and they don't pick Inu it seem to me to be a big vote of no confidence by the coach.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Kiwi RL team has always reaped the rewards of picking the most natrually talented players despite form. They have the ability to be lifted by the experience of playing test footy, the recognition of their culture, and their patriotism and opportunity to represent their various Kiwi and Polynesian heritages.

If you want to take the hard line and say only consistent players deserve selection you don;t pick a lot of blokes in their current lineup- including Nuuasala, Harrison, Soiaola, Sa, Pritchard, even Marshall.

TBH if Matai doesn't play and they don't pick Inu it seem to me to be a big vote of no confidence by the coach.

Harrison was probably canberra best.
Marshall easily had his best season.

Pritchard, Soliola, Sa and FPN - played for the two worst coached teams in the comp.

Sa - was picked on talent not form. Same goes for Nuuasala.

Thing is you can picked based purely on form in the nrl just like in the 80's aussie clubs dont get the best out of the kiwis boys.
Kearney knows what is coached good and managed well bloke like nusuala and warea-hargreaves.

Inu - is a good bloke etc. Doesnt work hard enough on the training paddock and sometimes to nice not serious enough from what I here.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Inu - is a good bloke etc. Doesnt work hard enough on the training paddock and sometimes to nice not serious enough from what I here.

that's been common knowledge for a while however DA had finally made some progress on that this year and he'll be a better player because of it, the addition of Tahu will also bring the best out of him.

Bigfella

Coach
Harrison was probably canberra best.
Marshall easily had his best season.

Pritchard, Soliola, Sa and FPN - played for the two worst coached teams in the comp.

Sa - was picked on talent not form. Same goes for Nuuasala.

Thing is you can picked based purely on form in the nrl just like in the 80's aussie clubs dont get the best out of the kiwis boys.
Kearney knows what is coached good and managed well bloke like nusuala and warea-hargreaves.

TBH I can't really understand that mate

Gaffman

Juniors
Yeah can't help but think that Inu doesn't assert himself enough off the field. I can imagine Kearny coming up and asking Inu "so if i need you, are you ready to smash the poms this weekend" and Inu, in his typical softly spoken manner would shrug and say "i guess so"

If you weren't his club coach you'd have to wonder how much the bloke really wants to get out there and do his best.