What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irwin may be axed, Dobson hard to keep

raidersforme

Juniors
Axe may still fall on Irwin: Raiders
Chris Wilson
space.gif

Canberra Raiders general manager Don Furner said the club was entitled to apply double standards when it decided the fate of centre Steve Irwin this week. In a day of startling admissions, Furner said the Raiders would likely face an NRL salary cap breach this week and the club had a potential fight on its hands to retain halfback Michael Dobson.
The Raiders have offered a lifeline to wayward star Todd Carney, who returned to training with the Premier League squad yesterday, 10 days after he was involved in an alleged police pursuit in Bruce.
Police charged Carney, 20, with three driving offences and he faces a possible jail term when he appears in the ACT Magistrates Court on June 12. Carney has twice been guilty of drink-driving in NSW.
But the Raiders are still considering whether to sack Irwin, who was Carney's passenger in the alleged pursuit. Police did not charge Irwin for his involvement.
Irwin, 23, joined the Raiders this season from the Queensland Cup but he has not played a game for the club.
He had a knee reconstruction in September last year, but his recovery was stalled when he had arthroscopic surgery on the same knee about three weeks ago.
It may be another four weeks before Irwin is fit to play for the Raiders, if he gets the chance at all.
Furner admitted people would accuse the Raiders of double standards if the club sacked Irwin, who is serving an indefinite suspension. But he said the Raiders would make the best business decision, as early as tomorrow.
"Sometimes there are double standards and sometimes there are different qualities of players," Furner said. "Sometimes exceptions are made for better players or players that have been at a club longer. That's the fact of life.
"I could understand people would say that [the Raiders have double standards] if it happened [Irwin was sacked] but the reality is we're running a business that has to win football games."
Furner said management had talked with Irwin but had not made a decision. "We've got nothing to say, we're still working through a few things."
Furner defended the club's support for Carney, who is a Raiders junior and joined the full-time NRL squad as a 17-year-old.
He said Raiders fans had bombarded the club with emails, the majority supporting the club's decision.
"There's always 10 per cent that say 'listen, he's had enough chances why give him more chances than the others?'. They're fair questions, but at the end of the day they're not running the organisation."
The Raiders management met with Carney's manager David Riolo on Sunday and used the opportunity to also discuss the future of another young half, Dobson.
Furner said Dobson was a priority re-signing for the Raiders, but he anticipated other NRL clubs would fight for the former Australian Schoolboys representative.
A contractual dispute with his previous manager Cameron Day has delayed Dobson's contract talks.
Dobson, who turns 21 today, has now committed to Riolo and wants to resolve his future quickly.
"I'll look elsewhere if I have to," Dobson said. "I'll have to weigh up my options when the Raiders put an offer to me or when they let me know what's going on."
The Raiders could have another problem on their hands later this week. Furner expected the NRL would fine the Raiders for a salary cap breach, which he described as a minor and innocent mistake.
The breach would relate to the 2006 season. It is understood the breach related to unexpected bonuses paid to State of Origin representatives Adam Mogg and Clinton Schifcofske.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=589740&category=Rugby League

Please sign up dobson quickly, I think irwin should not be the scape goat fined yes but he didn't put a gun to carney's head.

badav

Bench
Waltflannigan and Victortheviking

As i said to you guys before in the other thread. If todd carney was a fringe first grader, he would have been punted ages ago. If you need anymore proof other than whats written above then you guys are even dumber than i though.

Pretty weak from the raiders club. And im also sure thats not the last time Carney will get himself into sh*t.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
Looking more and more evident that we will struggle to retain Dobson. May I suggest the immediate release of Dunneman, Howell and Best in an effort to retain him. Throw in Jason Williams and Alan Rothery if necessary.

raidersforme

Juniors
now that frawley is signed to bronco's are we still paying for him that cash could be used for dobson, also i agree the club needs to release some others, hell it seems to be the fashionable thing to do.

Lewis and soward from roosters, Mcdougall from st george, hannay,seymour and greenshields at sharks, rod jenson cowboys and clint newton from newcastle

All in one week

We should do the same

Best, howell, dunneman, rothery, williams, look for other places if they can find then we release early i would even throw in bickerstaff and turner if they don't start playing well or at all.

We have already this year released Frawley, Lomu and Pamatangi all where picked up surely we have got back some if not all there contract money for this year.

mongoose

Coach
Obviously other clubs are showing a lot of interest in Dobson. How much is Best on? i'm sure he could free up some cash because he is a complete waste of money.

Macko8

Juniors
It really doesnt seem fair to release Irwin but i can understand why raiders management want to axe him, it will possibly free up some cash for dobsons offer and like people have said.

All these fringe players such as rothery,howell and dunemann, offer very little and it will free up some cash for dobbo again

Bottom line is we NEED to keep dobson.

Chachi

Bench
That's right. I think the Irwin/Dobson situations are somewhat linked (and I know who I'd prefer to keep).

I also think management are dawning on the fact that we don't need too many additions to the current first grade squad for us to be competitive in the future. With the 20's comp starting up next season there will be quite a few fringe first graders cut - and giving management an excuse to cut you early without penalty (like Irwin has) is really quite dumb for the players involved.

As for double standards - well, Irwin hasn't even played a game for us. So far he has been paid to sit on the sidelines and has therefore earnt absolutely no credit points. The fact he has also been drinking during rehab for surgery wouldn't make him too many friends with the guys who pay his wages.

If Thats your Club Policy, than its rather predjudiced against sh*t players, wasnt carney the one driving ???, if anyone should get sacked its the driver, good player or not

If we lose Dobson it will be an abslolute disgrace. With the uncertainty of Carneys future, we MUST keep Dobson.

There are absolutley no excuses not to keep him

Stuart

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 said:
If Thats your Club Policy, than its rather predjudiced against sh*t players, wasnt carney the one driving ???, if anyone should get sacked its the driver, good player or not

Its all well and good to get high and mighty but you would be stupid to think clubs dont have double standards when it comes to these type of things. The fact is that in the real world, if your not essential and majorly f**k up you get fired no matter what buisness your in. If you are you get lots of chances.

I feel sorry for Steve if he does get the boot but those are the realities of the real world...

dubby

Bench
I would think that Dobson is commited to the club. If only for his development, chance, and the way the club has looked after him in the past.

Surely his recent demotion to PL wont play a part; other clubs dump players when they dont perform (Dogs and Sherwin).

Dobbo comes from Junee which is not far from the ACT, he is a Raiders junior and is great mates with Carney and Goodwin.

The only way he would leave is if another club offers massive $$$, and I bet the Roosters or the Sharks just do that.

I don't see what leg the club would have to stand on if Irwin took them to Court for unfair dismissal.

He was never charged with anything by the Police. Is it an offence to be a passenger in a vehicle driven by an unlicensed driver??

You can hardly blame him for the Police chase, as he may have stopped if he were the driver.

Strange decision by the club.

Macko8

Juniors
It would be strange if the raiders do sack Irwin.
Thats why i think the irwin saga and dobbos future at the club are related.

It sounds as if dobson has said he will be moving on if he doesnt get his asking price, which is fair enough but sacking irwin wont accomplish this.
It almost sounds as if management have sh*t there pants over the matter.

With frawleys exit surely we have a bit of free cash for the calibre of mick dobson, without sacking players who havent even shown there potential.
If Irwin goes it is only fair to sack Bickerstaff as well,seeing he hasnt played a game this year either.

paulquinn49

Bench
I nominate Edabomb to start a petition to save Steve Irwin. Ed has a history with successful online petitions, ask Bay56.

legend

Coach
Penrith and Newcastle may well have a crack at Dobson though.

Saints and the Roosters are out of the running but I think we need to dump the dead wood from the club starting with Howell and Best.