What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 1999 the biggest grand final choke?

Ah so that was before half time, thought it was in the 2nd half.

Yeah at the end of the day i have seen 4 GF wins live... seen 3 losses too but that is a decent strike rate.

I'm 1 win and 5 losses. I was a pup in 1979, remember a street party when we won but that's about it so doesn't count.

In the 2 Dragons GF's i've been to, I'm 1 and 1 ('99 and 2010). I'll take that average.

In all the GF's I've been to..
1990 - Canberra > Penrith
1999 - Melbourne > Saints
2003 - Penrith > "Sydney" (aka Roosters)
2004 - Canterbury > Sydney
2005 - Wests > Nth Qld
2010 - Saints > Sydney

Taking away my team.

Best = Tigers v Cowboys (apart from Pete Murray as the pre-match entertainment... wtf?!?!). And even though they beat us the week before, I was happy for the Tigers fans.
Worst = Penrith v Sydney. Prob coz I was in cheap seats in the rain all game down the Southern End. I've heard from many it was a great game to watch on Telly, but I've never seen the full replay.

You can throw 1999 in there as well just for good measure.

You referring to Brian Smith at the Dragons?

If so - we had him up to 1995. In 99 we had Farrar/Waite.

As a side note - I'd mentioned before I thought the loss in 93 was worse than 99. Probably less spectacular but that's the worst GF performance I'd seen from any team until the Storm got their hoops snapped by Manly. And we were favourites going in against the Broncos. Smith was in charge back then.

I actually feel a bit for Brian Smith. Geez he got a lot of teams to the top of the comp, but for whatever reasons none were able to win the chocolates.

T.S Quint

Coach
You referring to Brian Smith at the Dragons?

If so - we had him up to 1995. In 99 we had Farrar/Waite.

As a side note - I'd mentioned before I thought the loss in 93 was worse than 99. Probably less spectacular but that's the worst GF performance I'd seen from any team until the Storm got their hoops snapped by Manly. And we were favourites going in against the Broncos. Smith was in charge back then.

I actually feel a bit for Brian Smith. Geez he got a lot of teams to the top of the comp, but for whatever reasons none were able to win the chocolates.

Nah was referring to Eels blowing a 10 point lead in the ‘99 PF against the Storm.

I always liked Brian Smith. Our club was shithouse before he came along and it was pretty much shithouse after he left. Can put a club together, build it from the bottom up, has great game plans...but in the end just didn’t have what it takes to get the big win in the end.

Nah was referring to Eels blowing a 10 point lead in the ‘99 PF against the Storm.

I always liked Brian Smith. Our club was shithouse before he came along and it was pretty much shithouse after he left. Can put a club together, build it from the bottom up, has great game plans...but in the end just didn’t have what it takes to get the big win in the end.

Ah right - I couldnt remember who played the Storm in the PF that year. And yes I agree with what you're saying about him.

Slackboy72

Coach
Not even close when you look at Melbourne's roster. Sure, Mundine lost them the match but I wouldn't say it was a choke.
This thing that most people seem to want to forget is that both melbourne and the Dragons were both (legally) over the cap by a large amount due to merging and being a new club.
No team other than those two had a chance of making the GF.

This Year?

Immortal
I have to say yes. In 1999 Saints had the best of two teams and still couldn't get it done against a Storm side which were pretty much rejects from other clubs plus a couple of stars. It was tragic on so many levels and was pretty much the perfect storm of chokes.

Now let me get back into the fetal position and try once again to repress the memories of that horrible day.

Parra did so much choking under Brian Smith that we made Riley Reid look like an amateur.
I looked her up and I have to say I was quite impressed.

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I have to say yes. In 1999 Saints had the best of two teams and still couldn't get it done against a Storm side which were pretty much rejects from other clubs plus a couple of stars. It was tragic on so many levels and was pretty much the perfect storm of chokes.

Now let me get back into the fetal position and try once again to repress the memories of that horrible day.

I looked her up and I have to say I was quite impressed.
A very talented and enthusiastic young woman :sunglasses:

Valheru

Coach
South Africa 1999 semi final waves hello.

Yeah true thats a good contender

But 28-3 in the 3rd quarter with the ball on the offensive 30 yard line. All they had to do on 3rd down was run the ball, they dont get first down it is a field goal and they go up 31-3 with all the momentum.

Instead they go pass and fumble the ball and from there they have the greatest capitulation i have ever seen in sports.

This thing that most people seem to want to forget is that both melbourne and the Dragons were both (legally) over the cap by a large amount due to merging and being a new club.

So the two teams who finished above Melbourne in the regular season, and the other two who finished above Saints... never had a chance of making the GF? Interesting claim.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/seasons/nrl-1999/summary.html

And no, people don’t want to seem to forget anything apart from the match if you’re a saints fan.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
I'd put us and Manly 1995 as similar losses.

Both dominant throughout the season, premiership favourites got to the Grand Final, celebrated the fact it was the first GF for a while as it was an achievement pre-season but werent mentally switched on game day.

With Manly, Mark Carroll said in an interview once how most the players spoke about getting the GF and doing really well, but mentally they were nervous on game day and they were up against a Canterbury side that looked pumped up having lost the GF the year before and had that momentum going into the game.

With Parramatta, there were plenty of nerves. It was a fairly young forward pack that for a few years in a row just missed the GF. Once they got there it was a sigh of relieve but still shouldve been mentally prepared. There were some signs of nerves in the Brisbane game, I remember they had an ordinary start and just beat them in the Preliminary final. It shouldve been a wake up call but instead people were saying in the GF breakfast, the players looked nervous. And when they sung national anthems, you compare the two teams' body language.

Newcastle looked pumped and fired up, having lost the prelim the year before, all embraced each other before the game.

Parramatta very quiet, no-one singing the anthem. I thought ah oh, hopefully they'll be switched on. Unfortunately they weren't.

Newcastle came out of the blocks early with Johns running the show. Even though he got Clive Churchill Medal, I feel Kennedy and Buderus were unlucky not to win it, they were simply unstoppable on the night.

And whilst Manly came back a year later to win the title, Parramatta didnt recover from that loss.

Whether it was Smith's coaching that helped them turn into zombies, who's knows.
Somebody made a lot-O'-money on that game. To me a choke consists of one side dominating for the entire game so as to thwart any progression from the other side. GFs like the 1997,1999 and the Cows GF win cannot be labelled as "chokes" because they were contested right to the bitter end.

But that Parra loss 2001 has to go down as the biggest first half choke of all time, but on the other hand, credit must go to Parra for that 2nd half comeback.

But my overall choke for an entire GF must go to the 1975 St George side which got decimated 38-0. Would have been 38-2 except Henry Tatana missed a penalty kick at goal.

horrie hastings

First Grade
The Roosters were TAB faves for this game. All week I was shitting myself and hoping it would be pissing down by game day. Now 17 years later, I've never complain when it's raining.

I remember waiting for the train at Redfern station to go to Olympic Park and the rain was tumbling down and I thought this is not good . Two of the Roosters GFs I've been to when they lost it has rained, the 2003 against the Panthers and 2010 against Saints.

blue bags

First Grade
rubbish, storm finished in minor premierships, 3rd, dragons 6th, so a few other teams had a good chance

Latest posts