What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 2021 hanging by a thread?

Maddragon99

Juniors
After a pretty poor run of form when we’ve lost 4 out of our last 5 & clinging onto 7th place but tied for ninth I think it’s time for review. We actually have a very soft draw.

With rep season approaching & for once an unlikely Saints contribution to Origin (Hunt, Bird or Sims maybe) perhaps we can turn things around.

I don’t foresee us getting within 50 points of Penrith but Rorters have their own issues & Souths have already twice let in 50+ points this year.

12) Tigers away: possible Win
13) Broncos home possible Win
14) Bulldogs away possible Win
15) Raiders home possible Win
16) Warriors away probable loss
17) Bye
18) Manly away probable loss
19)Titans home possible win
20) Souths home possible Win
21) Canberra away probable loss
22) Penrith home definite loss
23) Roosters home probable loss
24) Cowboys home possible Win
25) Souths Away probable loss

if we win the Possible wins we’ll make the eighth.

redv13

Bench
After a pretty poor run of form when we’ve lost 4 out of our last 5 & clinging onto 7th place but tied for ninth I think it’s time for review. We actually have a very soft draw.

With rep season approaching & for once an unlikely Saints contribution to Origin (Hunt, Bird or Sims maybe) perhaps we can turn things around.

I don’t foresee us getting within 50 points of Penrith but Rorters have their own issues & Souths have already twice let in 50+ points this year.

12) Tigers away: possible Win
13) Broncos home possible Win
14) Bulldogs away possible Win
15) Raiders home possible Win
16) Warriors away probable loss
17) Bye
18) Manly away probable loss
19)Titans home possible win
20) Souths home possible Win
21) Canberra away probable loss
22) Penrith home definite loss
23) Roosters home probable loss
24) Cowboys home possible Win
25) Souths Away probable loss

if we win the Possible wins we’ll make the eighth.
I’d say Hunt is probably the only player that will make origin. Don’t think Bird will get picked and Sims unlikely. Trying to predict wins from now to round 25 is ludicrous. Under the current climate of suspension madness we probably won’t be able to name a team in 6 weeks time let alone play the win loss game

Maddragon99

Juniors
I’d say Hunt is probably the only player that will make origin. Don’t think Bird will get picked and Sims unlikely. Trying to predict wins from now to round 25 is ludicrous. Under the current climate of suspension madness we probably won’t be able to name a team in 6 weeks time let alone play the win loss game
Sure mate I agree. But it’s worth noting that we only have Penrith, Rorters, Manly & Souths twice who are above us but yet to play.

Reasonable chance for some opportunism that we can still make the 8

redv13

Bench
Sure mate I agree. But it’s worth noting that we only have Penrith, Rorters, Manly & Souths twice who are above us but yet to play.

Reasonable chance for some opportunism that we can still make the 8
The next 3 weeks is crucial. We’re down on troops but the effort over the last 2 weeks has definitely been there. They just need to scrap 3 wins ( WT, BRI, CBY) and be sitting on 16pts and hopefully the cavalry will be back on deck for a big push through origin

Sadly, the Dragons even at full strength won't get near a premiership. To draw an analogy, Penrith are like a lightening fast thoroughbred while the Dragons are a team of draught horses. The difference is like night and day. There are no prizes for finishing second. Looking to the future, Dragons should adopt a plan like Penrith, Promote young players and recruit wisely.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Sadly, the Dragons even at full strength won't get near a premiership. To draw an analogy, Penrith are like a lightening fast thoroughbred while the Dragons are a team of draught horses. The difference is like night and day. There are no prizes for finishing second. Looking to the future, Dragons should adopt a plan like Penrith, Promote young players and recruit wisely.
Shetland Pony’s we are

BLM01

First Grade
Are We hanging by a thread?
come back to us in round 22 and we may then give you the answer
You are sounding like Mary with your forward planning.
Speaking of Mary in the words of the great man himself
“We have been a Too 8 side for most of the year”..
Why would it change!

Morotti

Juniors
Injuries and suspensions have killed us.

We were massively down on troops vs sharkies and almost pull off a win.

If we can get our full strength team on the park, we can make the eight. Which for me would be a successful season.

I dont expect us to be able to trouble the top 4 at any stage but given where expectations were at the start of the year, as will as what we have had to endure the last 2 years, making the eight would be an accomplishment.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Any notion that we are/were a premiership chance this year and I'd say you were dreaming.
This was always going to be the actual rebuild year. We'vr cut the umbilical cord and rid ourselves of the professional excuse merchant and other hangers on.

If we did manage to scrape into the 8 at seasons end, well that's just an added bonus. Yes, the air of mediocracy remains, but it will so until we can overhaul our team, especially the spine.

Atm, we are 'A' for effort. We have changed our style of play, a distinct difference than previous years, but it will take some time, as we dont have the quality required to execute them on a regular and consistant basis.

Is our season hanging by a thread? For me no. Imo we are over-achieving and grasping opportunities if and when they arise.

I'm more curious as to what our squad looks like in 6 months time.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Actually did we really expect a top eight spot. We have recruited some has-beens and some second stringers but have performed well at times. Top this with poor handing at crucial times during the game mainly cwhen we're getting ourselves out of trouble then we cop all these penalties and some injuries. Well away from the wooden spoon and at least playing with some grit, pride and some flair will do me. We need to weed out under performers and rebuild as some say for next year. We want Hook to prove he is right for us.

Spazer

Juniors
I think we're ok, despite all the injuries and suspensions, there are some good signs from our team in these losses, as others have said the effort is there and our defence is good compared to the last few seasons.

Personally, I don't think we'll make the 8 but it certainly helps having teams like sharks, raiders and titans being way out of form giving us a small window despite being spoon favourites. This year to me is more or less setting up for next season and beyond so scraping into the 8 is a bonus.

blacksafake

First Grade
So far we’ve gone better than most predicted.
Injuries & suspension have put a huge dent in our season. I think the tigers will get us again & the broncos have played some good footy at times so I can see them getting us as well due to our lack of troops.
I would be happy if we finished the season well with an eye to the future.

we have had an easy draw and have easier games the next 5 weeks.
In saying that as soon as we lost to the Tigers we were done I think.
2 losses to the Sharks, plus Tigers and Warriors. We should have another easy 6 points.
We will be lucky to field 17 players each week the way it's going so the next few weeks of easy games are now probably 50/50.
Anyway go the Saints and let's hope somehow we get the roll of the green and get to win more than we loose.

Crush

Coach
From here on in its just sit back and enjoy with an eye to the future.
What happens around roster for 2022 is more important than this season, which unfortunately is gone.
Losing to the Warriors, Tigers, Sharks at home isn't acceptable for a top 8 team.
BUT, they are having a crack this year and that's promising.
They aren't giving up in defense which is a turn around from last season and they seem to care.

If Norman isn't let go next year it'll be hard to watch though.

Dragon David

First Grade
Before a ball was kicked to start the 2021 season, my brother (who is also a Dragons fanatic) and I wondered who would end up with the wooden spoon this year. We also wondered if we had the ability to win some games given the squad we had and how our trial games went.

We came to the conclusion that the Dragons could be the wooden spooners but having won some games and with the Bulldogs languishing at the bottom, we will thankfully escape that prediction.

In saying this though, we are hanging by a thread. These injuries and suspensions are killing us and unless we can put together a string of wins as redv13 said, we will drop out of the 8 and remain in the lower part of the ladder for the rest of the year.

That is my prediction and as such it is a matter of Hook to train up the young guys and get them into first grade games for experience, get rid of the waste and recruit extremely well for 2022 and onwards.

This year and at this point in time, rugby league has changed so dramatically that anything can happen and a lot has with the Dragons.