What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is anybody there?

Timbo

Staff member
The tennis, badminton, netball and swimming are all being played in empty stadia today.

Looks really good on TV. :|

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I hear D'Arcy will be watching the swimming.

I am sure there will be more at the evening venues.

skeepe

Immortal
They're having all sorts of technological problems at the tennis... Hawkeye not working properly from what I can gather

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The boxing scales were not working either

Boxing weigh-in farce at Games

Ian McCullough

October 4, 2010 - 3:44PM
Chaos and confusion reigned supreme at the official weigh-in for the Commonwealth Games boxing competition on Monday with the scales recording incorrect readings.
Amid farcical scenes, boxers from around the world were left sweating - literally - after being wrongly measured as overweight - with many having to run around the athletes' village or jump into a sauna to shed the kilos.
"I have never seen nothing like it," said Australia's assistant coach Don Abnett.

"Our boys were really down and worried they are going to get a real telling off from the coach for going overweight, when all along they are fine.
"We have brought our own calipers from the AIS and have been monitoring all of our boys and they are absolutely spot-on so we were very surprised by the readings.
"Two of them went on and the scales said they were 700 grams overweight so they had go and sweat it off.
"But when they got back it then said they were two kilos heavier than before!
"It is ridiculous and now we have boys who have lost too much weight which is not good."
Games officials realised something was amiss when a large number of fighters were overweight, and decided to act after irate coaches demanded to have the scales checked.
A 50kg weight then was brought up from the gym at the athletes' village and, when placed on the scales, measured at 51.4kg.
A second weigh-in will now take place tomorrow morning, just hours before the competition starts, something Abnett said is not ideal.
"It is a farce, but there is not a lot more we can do, I have never seen this before.
"I thought last year when I witnessed a bloke in Victoria win a fight with one arm I had seen it all, but this even tops that.

http://www.smh.com.au/commonwealth-...ng-weighin-farce-at-games-20101004-163to.html

The offical website sucks dogs balls too.

IanG

Coach
Yeah watching the netball at the moment. Looks like only players family and friends in attendance.

Probably cause ticket prices are out of reach of most Indians

roopy

Referee
apparently 200k tickets have been sold, nearly half of them to the hockey where India are favourites.

IanG

Coach
Yeah well I'd say the Delhicatessen chances of hosting the Olympics are shot to buggery

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
no different to the cricket where the Aussies are playing in India atm

no one there

skeepe

Immortal
:lol:

The mens 4x100 metre freestyle relay was delayed due to dead moths in the pool.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Timbo I stand corrected.

Empty everywhere.

Got a laugh from the gymnast commentators.......the crowd are behind the Indians....yeh all 6 of them.

4 of them were security.

I saw that too skeepe.....had to get the long pole out after the first attempt failed.....and Nicole saying it is the English lane leave 'em there.....lol

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I witnessed a bloke in Victoria win a fight with one arm
Obviously fought a kiwi.........seriously how bad would you feel losing to bloke with one arm.

lol

COMMONWEALTH GAMES: MONKEYS HIRED TO GUARD ATHLETES

29th September 2010
By Paul Robins

THE crisis-hit Commonwealth Games turned into a circus yesterday after organisers hired monkeys as security guards.
The large langur monkeys will be used to stop their smaller cousins breaking into athletes’ rooms and terrorising VIP areas.

Plagues of wild rhesus monkeys have been raiding buildings and stealing supplies from the athletes’ village in Delhi.

One official said: “They will scare the smaller monkeys away because they are real pests and are very destructive.”

But it is not just thieving primates that have caused chaos at the Games in India.

British athletes have been warned of a rabies threat after stray dogs were spotted running wild on the athletics track.

Expert dog-catchers have been rounding up the mongrels, but admit they have been unable to secure the area where stars train.

One doctor warned: “These dogs can become rabid at any time. If athletes see the dogs they should be careful to stay away as they could easily get bitten.”

More than 180 strays have been caught, but sources say a further 280,000 are still running wild.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/155940/Commonwealth-Games-Monkeys-hired-to-guard-athletes/

Chook Herron

Juniors
All across New Delhi, brightly-coloured posters plead 'Come out and play', but on Monday this teeming city opted to stay home instead as a wave of indifference greeted the Commonwealth Games.

The opening day witnessed matches played out at eerily empty venues, a worrying sight for besieged organisers hoping that Sunday's widely-applauded opening ceremony had finally laid to rest the problem-plagued build-up.

"Australia 76 Spectators 58" reported The Sydney Morning Herald after the opening match of the netball competition at the Thyagaraj Sports Complex which can hold 4,500 people.

"Australia's netballers scored more goals than there were spectators watching them, getting their Commonwealth Games off to the perfect start with a comfortable 37-goal win over Samoa on Monday," the newspaper said.

"In front of a crowd which would have fitted in a bus - just 58 legitimate spectators - the Diamonds scored more than a goal per fan in a 76-39 cruise past Samoa."
Despite the withering cynicism, fans and officials were convinced the situation will improve as the 11-day event progresses.

Manoj Harjani, 47, a garment factory manager from Delhi, took his two teenage daughters to watch the men's gymnastics team event at the 14,400-seater Indira Ghandi Complex.

The majority of the few spectators which were present tended to be accredited volunteers or team-mates.

"The crowd is very small, but this is just the first day. We bought tickets for 150 rupees ($3.48) each on the Internet without any problems. It is easy and cheap," Harjani said.

"Delhi people are more interested in hockey - especially India against Pakistan - and also wrestling and tennis perhaps. Of course, Indians really love cricket more than anything.

"In truth the gymnastics standard is lower than I thought. This is far below any Olympic competition.

"I think Indians will come to more events as the Games progress.

"Perhaps people have been put off by all the bad stories, but things are fine here.
"We also have tickets for the rugby and netball and are really looking forward to them."

Things were just as bleak at the 3,500-capacity Siri Fort Sports Complex, where the first round of the squash tournament was taking place.

"Today is the first round and we expect that not only will squash enthusiasts from India be coming along in greater numbers as the competition intensifies, but I would expect overseas viewers, family and friends and just general spectators to come to the venue, as they have done at previous Games," said Andrew Shelley, the international technical delegate.

"One very positive factor is that the tickets are very affordable so that - as well as the chances of Indian players doing well - it should encourage (Indian) nationals to come here."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/10/05/3029489.htm?section=justin

CMUX

WHAT if they held a Commonwealth Games and no one turned up?
The sporting action at the Commonwealth Games has opened to diminishing levels of controversy but a big lack of fans.
Australia's netballers began their Delhi campaign with a win over Samoa attended by fewer than 100 people.
The official attendance at the vacant Thyagaraj Sports Complex was 58, with only a similar number of supporters and officials boosting the attendance into triple figures.
Organisers hope crowds will begin to warm to the event, but netball star Cath Cox isn't fussed either way.
"Netball's not that huge in India so I can't imagine the crowd improving much, but we don't care," she said.
"If we win a gold medal in front of a man and a dog, that's fine with me."
Australian tennis player Greg Jones won his first-round match over Bermuda's Gavin Manders at the RK Khanna Tennis Stadium with barely a dozen spectators.
There were similar scenes at the badminton, squash and hockey, with even the swimming heats sparsely populated.
The contrast with Melbourne's Commonwealth Games was stark, with a raft of sold-out venues full of rapturous supporters four years ago.
Delhi's Opening Ceremony at the Jawaharlal Stadium was a full house of 60,000 supporters but those fans were nowhere to be seen on Day 1 of the action

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/commonwealth-games/poor-crowds/story-fn65mzk7-1225934012137

Lol 58!!!

You would think they would just give the tickets away to at least make it look good on TV.

Latest posts