What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is channel nine running/ruining the game?

Mick_63

Juniors
Their sydney sport section had no mention of monday night football.
Its beyond belief that they cant show some highlights,there were plenty.
So it must be because it was melbourne vs canberra.

Dont get me started about the commentary shennanigans/gee ups,the cross promotion,the ad breaks instead of replay.
I'm sure i'm not alone.

Pay tv chits all over it,but if you dont have pay and you rely on the FTA broadcaster for your info they are piss poor.

Frustrated Fan

Juniors
I totally agree with you Mick.

Compared with what Channel 7 did with the 2003 Rugby World Cup, Channel Nine have not got a clue. I was living in Adelaide at the time and on the back of 7's promotion the Aust' v Namibia match packed out the Adelaide oval.
When Penrith took a game to Hindmarsh stadium the crowd was about 500. In Adelaide Channel nine hardly ever broadcasts a rugby league match any earlier than midnight INCLUDING STATE OF ORIGIN.

After being spoilt with the live Fox Sports coverage, I really begrudge having to watch delayed telecast packed full with adverts. Phil Gould makes the spectacle even more painful with his self indulgent and critical analysis of the game.

Ray Warren however is a terrific caller of the game and i thoroughly enjoy his commentary.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Do you think Ch10 would do a better job than Ch9, if they got the rights back?

Yes I do. They not only broadcast the game but also build it's image. They do an excellent job with the AFL. They use to show the Sunday match of the day live into Melbourne along with late night league.

adamkungl

Immortal
News is worse...for half owners you would think their main intent would be to promote rather than to have their army of hack journos rubbish it constantly and talk up the competition

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Tells you there is a hidden agenda doesn't it?

League fans need to stop thinking News are going to put RL before themselves, we need to be healthily cynical about these corporate leeches.

Connie Kreski

Juniors
9 are more interested in promoting AFL when they don't even have the rights

pathetic

It's true...you might almost understand it in Melbourne, I was just down there and League remains as laughed at as it always has been, no thanks to the rights holder. But it seems true elsewhere as well.

What I don't get is....why?

Television coverage of Rugby League in general is an absolute disgrace at all levels. It is the highest rating sport on Foxtel and the public had to fight tooth and nail to have it moved from FS3 to FS2. The Channel Nine coverage on Sunday is a disgrace and the two game friday night thing is not much better. News coverage in general across 7, 9 and 10 of the game is horrific and even the shows that are dedicated to League coverage, i.e. Footy Show and NRL on Fox are pathetic. One only has to watch any of the morning news shows in Sydney to see which sport is the darling of the media. The Today show rarely if ever talks about League and I nearly throw up everytime I see the AFL love fest that is the Sunrise coverage of Sport.

The heads of media need to wake up and realise that this is Sydney and not Melbourne. Sports coverage of any type needs to deal with the number one sport in Sydney that is the NRL and forget about AFL. Media heads are so keen to impress the Melbourne public that it makes me ill and I can't understand why? As the NRL watching public, we need to make the networks and the NRL aware of this otherwise AFL will just keep getting the lions share of media coverage in Sydney.

Knight87

Juniors
I think that Ch10 would do a good job, if they had the FTA rights. I mean, look at the amount of exposure they give the Sydney Swans in the AFL (something Ch7 didn't do before Ch10 got the rights with Ch9 in 2002). If it wasn't for Ch10, Sydney people on a Sat Night would still be waiting till close to midnight to watch the Swans play.

At least Ch10 could show their Sunday game leading into their news, which would mean that it would be live (since it'd start at 3pm, Ten News at 5pm) and we wouldn't have to put up with 50 or so ads.

Problem is, which ppl would Ch10 choose as commentators for their coverage and also if they had a Footy show (not like the current one in Ch9)?

Shorty

Staff member
Channel 10 are devoted to AFL,it's a channel I watch frequently and the adverts always make me sad considering what League would be like had it had that sort of marketing.
Channel 9 are disgraceful - They have a rival code 'footy show' on their channel when they don't even own the rights ffs!!
9 take League for granted,the amount of advertising they do for the sport is disgusting,even SOO the pinnacle of football is advertised rarely as much as the AFL.

It really is disappointing.

mark123

Juniors
Nine have screwed league for years. TV wise the game was at it's best when 10 had it.

Full-on.

Bang.

They paid 15 million per year for RL for a long time. Do you know how much they made from the game during that period through advertising during games? 250million + per year. That figure may be wrong, but believe me, the disparity will be close anyway...

Maybe rl has itself to blame for letting them pay us so little?

Its a stroke of genius that packer could pay so little and earn so much - AND keep RL in his hip pocket.

Disgusting too. But he was allowed.

Murdoch is another Aussie who knows money back to front.

I want RL to know money back-to-front. And I want us to weild it powerfully.

So in my view, they screwed the game.

I don't care how it happens. We must do this: take the power off the clubs and into the hands of the board. Take the power off news ltd/etc and hand it to the NRL/ARL who should be combined into one.

Then with clear minds, go and conquer.

RL has been a disappointing business (for us).

I can't believe everyone is not p!ssed off. MOST OF OUR CLUBS are broke, yet nine and news and telstra make MILLIONS OFF OF LEAGUE.

And people get upset when you discuss 'change' in rl administration, new teams, rationalization of sydney, etc.

Do you fkers want to live or die? huh?
You can't expect to have the same old crap-cake in rl and have it taste good. You must change the recipe.

Knight87

Juniors
Channel 10 are devoted to AFL,it's a channel I watch frequently and the adverts always make me sad considering what League would be like had it had that sort of marketing.
Channel 9 are disgraceful - They have a rival code 'footy show' on their channel when they don't even own the rights ffs!!
9 take League for granted,the amount of advertising they do for the sport is disgusting,even SOO the pinnacle of football is advertised rarely as much as the AFL.

It really is disappointing.

Yeah, can you imagine if Ch10 got the League rights, and promoted League in the same manner that they currently do with the AFL?

Also, in regards to the AFL Footy Show, it's been on Ch9 way before Ch9 got the AFL rights. It's been around since '94 I believe. But, I know what you mean. That'd be like if currently, Ch7 or 10 had a NRL Footy Show.

Knight87

Juniors
I guess you can blame Eddie McGuire for that. Seriously, Channel Eddie can buzz off to another channel for all I care.

However, it is interesting to note howcome 7 or 10 haven't offered Eddie a role on their networks.

Latest posts