What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Darius Boyd at Dragons yet?

Godz Illa

Coach
Darius article on the back page of the Leader today...

Boyd ready to make history

BY MICHAEL CARAYANNIS
14/01/2009 4:00:00 AM

WHEN Darius Boyd walks on to the field for St George Illawarra, he will make history.

The speedy outside back will become the first current Australian player to join the club since the joint venture in 1999.

Since the merger, the club have relied on local products rather than signing players from other clubs.

Of the Dragons' nine Australian internationals Luke Bailey, Trent Barrett, Nathan Blacklock, Matt Cooper, Ben Creagh, Mark Gasnier, Ben Hornby, Jason Ryles and Shaun Timmins only Blacklock was not a local junior. With international experience comes expectation, but at the moment Boyd is happy easing into life in Wollongong.

Although he has moved to a new club in a new state, the transition of having played under coach Wayne Bennett and high performance manager Jeremy Hickmans in Brisbane has made the move less daunting.

``Having Wayne and Jeremy has made it easier to settle in,'' Boyd said.

``Wayne has been the only coach I've had. We are doing a lot of the same drills and the way training is structured is similar to what it was in Brisbane.''

As a born and bred Queenslander from the Gold Coast, Boyd had grown up admiring Bennett and wanting to play first grade for Brisbane. Even he took time in getting used to Bennett in Dragons attire.

``I remember being at home when I had time off and watching the news of his first training session,'' Boyd said.

``Seeing him in Dragons gear is a bit different from what I've been used to.''

At just 21, Boyd has achieved more than what some players do in a decade.

In 2006 his debut year he won a premiership and last year he represented Queensland and Australia.

``[The premiership] probably came so quick that I didn't cherish it like I would if i won one now,'' Boyd said.

``To get a premiership was lucky but it was an awesome thing to happen.''
Boyd, who has played 73 first grade games, switched between centre and wing last year. He also can play fullback.

With the departure of Mark Gasnier and Josh Morris, Boyd, Chase Stanley and Nick Emmett are in a battle to partner Matt Cooper in the centres.

``I'd like to play centre or fullback, but I don't have a preferred position,'' Boyd said.

``Even if I'm on the wing it doesn't bother me as long as I'm in the team.''

Boyd said it was always hard leaving family at home, but at the same time ``it is a new challenge''.

At his first official Dragons appearance just before Christmas, Boyd and his new teammates had to endure three days of torture as part of a boot camp at Nowra.

Players had to carry logs, pull trailers and were sleep deprived.
``It was really tough, but it was the best thing for me to get to know everyone and see what they were like,'' Boyd said.

http://stgeorge.yourguide.com.au/ne...eady-to-make-history/1406210.aspx?storypage=1

Latest posts