What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it really that good?

Wigan Warrior

Juniors
Been reading through a few reviews and i have to say that im not that impressed with the comments and enthusiasm.

The hype has been huge for the last year but i sense that people cannot make up their minds wether the game is good or not.Ive seen some comments saying the game rules but for everyone that compliments it theres another that takes the gloss off it.One comment thats worrying is the fact that people are already mentioning the next version and what should be altered.

So my question is,just how good is it out of 10? Realistic answers.

Is it as good as you expected?

Was it worth the wait and all the days of feeling fed up because it was delayed again?

How much better than the demo is it?

Whats the best thing about it?

Whats the worst?

And lastly,the main question: Does it feel like you are in a RL game or is it too arcadey?

Erhan

Juniors

Maybe not as good, but I'm still getting used to the controls and the things that bug me in general play may be because Ive only played a handfull of games.

Was it worth the wait and all the days of feeling fed up because it was delayed again?

Yeah, I guess so..I'm just glad i've got it and can play it at my own pace and get better at it. I think it'll be one of those game where the more you play it the better you will get and hence more enjoyable it will be

A fair bit, the passing is very similar, except it's alot more responsive ofcourse and the ability to offload in tackles makes a HUGE difference in the way the game is played

The kicking in general play is the best ive seen in any League & Union games. Offloads are generally quite good too

Whats the worst?
Passes go back way too far than intended and usually the player that receive it is very flatfooted. I'm still trying to work out how to get around this because it can be very annoying with a player in a better position not recieving the ball every now and then.

And lastly,the main question: Does it feel like you are in a RL game or is it too arcadey?

It's not too arcadey.

leaguerules

Juniors
it will do for a first game but the makers better start thinking how to majorly improve the game esp game playing and the facets of the game eg the wingers are never on the wing

best thing its a rugby league game

worst thing i just fill arl 96 had a better structure and the play mode was more rugby league.

But u will enjoy it just keep your expectations low and enjoy are league game with league names

Noonster

Juniors

Yes, I wasn't expecting it to be perfect in it's first release

Yes, Playing as your favourite team at their home ground is just awesome

A lot better

Its League

Whats the worst?

Trying to play structured league, hit it up with the forwards, then go wide. Doesn't seem to work for me at the moment, I just keep throwing the ball around. Also tackling is harder than I thought and when you change the player sometimes it doesn't go closest to the ball carrier. On a small TV the players can be very small.

The atmosphere is great and the comentary is awesome, it really feels like Rugby League

[furrycat]

Coach
I know I'm gonna love it, it's just people have waited so long and it was too much of a hype. The expectation by everyone that it would be 'perfect' and have no problems would have been a prevailing thought, but you won't find a game that is 'perfect'. Rugby League is definately not 'perfect' but is sure as hell worth it!

leaguerules

Juniors
i playe for a few hours now i did have a problem with the game freezing

the game has really grown on me i still agree with what i said about the game play.

if i gad a choice between arl 96 game with this games graphics( graphics arnt the best)
or this game i would chose the first game just my opinion

Paullyboy

Coach
Its a lot of fun to play but I have severe doubts on its longevity, something that really worries me :( . It is fun but things like multiple seasons, a more in depth customisation and tighter gameplay would make this game a lot better, but having said this it is fun to play.

Probably id give it 7 outta 10

supersoniceagle

Juniors
When I first played it, I didn't like it much. But I've played a few games since and it is great fun. I'd give it about 7/10, a great game, but there's still plenty of room for improvement which is a good thing. My favourite feature is the agressive tackle. It's great fun launching yourself at the opposition :)

Anonymous

Juniors
I love it, it's at least as good as I expected. All you Aussies should come back tomorrow or Saturday and see what you think then, because it will grow on you.

At first I was annoyed that all you could do was pass side to side and "structured" league didn't work, but you will soon realise that there is a lot to be gained by taking a few solid hit ups or just attacking one or two wide of the ruck, and looking for offloads.

Razor

Coach

Yes.

Yes it was worth the wait.

A lot better

The passing & kicking systems.
The AI is actually good unlike ARL 96 where you could score off every play.

Whats the worst?

Goal kicking is to easy, and it's to easy to recover the ball from a kick.

And lastly,the main question:

Does it feel like you are in a RL game or is it too arcadey?

It's not to arcadey

TripleM

Juniors
I will be as realistic as possible.

Yes, though of course there are always things that will disappoint you.

Yeah.

The demo? wow, that brings back memories.. lol. The game is nothing like the demo, apart from the fact that there is a lot of running with the ball and excitement.

The best thing about it is that theres 5 difficulty levels and they're not all ridiculously simple.

Whats the worst?

The worst bit is that the AI do not kick well, if at all.

Both. You feel like you are playing league, but, as you would really have expected, the game is definitely arcade - style. The game is designed for attack, and though it is possible to defend well, most of the game will be spent attacking in your opponents half, not trying to get solid sets of six and get a kick away.

[furrycat]

Coach

Definately I had low expectations since it was by a company I had never heard of

Yes well worth it :D

A lot!

The AI being fairly good, and the matrix kicking.

Whats the worst?
How easy it is to break tackles sometimes.

It is a bit arcadey, but a super realistic game = super boring game.

maxpower3000

Juniors
One thing that I found a little dissapointing also was the fact that you could not view the full replay of your try's.

The offloads are great and you can score some pretty dazzling try's but on the replay they only show the try scorer running towards the line

Anonymous

Juniors
http://rlgamer.cjb.net

There are links to reviews (or snippets of reviews) there on the right hand side from sources of varying authority.

This clearly isn't an official site but I personally think it's all genuine.

Scores either 8/10 or 9/10, fairly glowing reviews :D

[furrycat]

Coach
Thierry Henry said:
http://rlgamer.cjb.net

There are links to reviews (or snippets of reviews) there on the right hand side from sources of varying authority.

This clearly isn't an official site but I personally think it's all genuine.

Scores either 8/10 or 9/10, fairly glowing reviews :D

Don't ever advertise that site again...

Priddo

Juniors
the game is great.

someone said the wingers are never on the wing..and thats just bullshit i've scored abouut 30 tries in a season with rooney purely because he was either backing up or on the wing when i throw the pass when i have an overlap.

also i love how the fullback is more involved...i got about 20 tries for rhys wesser the expressor.