What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it time for MES Magic?

Evil Borad

Juniors
I think it is time we adopt something that the European Super League has done for a few years now. This is to play an entire round of footy at one ground in an expansion area over two or three days.

Before the Celtic Crusaders were welcomed into the Super League, the ESL played an entire round of fixtures in Cardiff. This, year it is in Scotland.

Perhaps we can do the same thing. We can play a round of footy at MES Stadium in Perth. If Perth don't get a team before the new TV contract is negotiated, 2012 could be the year to make this happen.

We could also play games in the Central Coast (although I hope they have a team by 2012), Adelaide and Wellington.

This would certainly generate buzz in these cities, and can only be good for the NRL. Hopefully, all the days of the event would be sellouts, with most of the profits being shared among the 16 clubs, and the rest going to develop a club in the area.

This is only my opinion and if I have missed some possible expansion areas, don't shoot me down.

Cheers,

EB

Eels Dude

Coach
Why not? Because we'd get a grand total of 60,000 or so for 8 games... what the hell does that achieve? It's not like Perth are crying poor for rugby league games... There's not enough fans there to jusify people attending 8 games in a weekend. You'd lose revenue to achieve what exactly?

Why not? Because we'd get a grand total of 60,000 or so for 8 games... what the hell does that achieve? It's not like Perth are crying poor for rugby league games... There's not enough fans there to jusify people attending 8 games in a weekend. You'd lose revenue to achieve what exactly?

what if the WA government guaranteed the amount of revenue would be the same as a normal round?

what you would achieve by the way is shining a pretty big light on our code in an expansion city.

maybe we could do half a round? either way its ideas like this that are needed to take on our rivals.

aussie_q_factor

Juniors
How dare you come onto this board and come up with such a good idea of promoting our game in a potential expansion area!

This is Rugby League. Such thoughts of expansion and development have no place within our game. How dare you raise such a notion!

sting

Bench
How dare you come onto this board and come up with such a good idea of promoting our game in a potential expansion area!

This is Rugby League. Such thoughts of expansion and development have no place within our game. How dare you raise such a notion!

it's actually a sh*t idea. Perth or wherever don't want a whole round of league. The whole round would get less than one afl game.

maybe somewhere like suncorp, but nah... sh*t idea

Brutus

Referee

:lol:

Paullyboy

Coach
I understand where you are coming from - but it wouldn't help. What is the benefit of playing a full round there? It would achieve exactly the same (if not less) than playing just one game there. THe reason I say it may even have less effect is that the few die-hards that would go would surely just be over it by the end of the weekend.

I know I love league and I wouldn't ever go and watch 8 games, 2 or 3 would be my absolute maximum and I'm a footy tragic.

thommo4pm

Coach
Love the idea.

I think the ESL are on a winner when they do it each year.

How can it hurt to take 1 round to a new place and try and entice new supporters to the game.

I'd possibly go half the round in Perth and half in Adelaide.
Split it up over 2 cities if people are worried about saturating these cities who aren't League friendly as yet.
By going half the round in each city, we can avoid scheduling clashes with the AFL, and promote the hell out of it.

We need to crack into these 2 cities to get an even better TV deal next time around.
Better TV deal means more $$$ in the game, which can only be a good thing for development at all levels.

Didgi

2 Games at each venue, so there would be 2 games played at Perth, 2 in Adelaide, 2 in Wellington and 2 in CC or CQ. Then, make sure there are at least 2 of these rounds every year, so each of the 'Major' expansion areas would get 4 games a year, plus smaller areas would get trials.

But all of this would need to be backed by proper T.V. coverage in all these areas all year round.

gallagher

Juniors
You'd be better off playing the 8 games over the whole year. Roughly a game every 3 weeks would create a lot more interest in the competition rather than just one round.

westie

Bench
If you could get a total of 50-70k over the weekend then it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Otherwise, giving up a round of football with 8 games drawing between 10-40k on an average weekend would be ridiculously stupid.

The other option would be to stage another round all together - but we all know the problems with this. Why not give them a Kangaroos game which would probably get similar crowds. MES is too small and oval grounds are sh*t.

If you could get a total of 50-70k over the weekend then it wouldn't be such a bad idea. Otherwise, giving up a round of football with 8 games drawing between 10-40k on an average weekend would be ridiculously stupid.

The other option would be to stage another round all together - but we all know the problems with this. Why not give them a Kangaroos game which would probably get similar crowds. MES is too small and oval grounds are sh*t.

Ofcourse. Howver, if this idea was ever implemented(which it never will be) then it will end up just like the Double-Header: Empty and Unwanted.