What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it time for MES Magic?

Bezant

Juniors
Good suggestion made in earlier response that can be developed further.

Why dont we have a NRL Expansion Round!

So if there are 4 areas that want to have a team in the NRL why not make them work for it!

We could argue for ages about the merits of Perth vs the Central Coast or Central QLD vs Wellington in NZ or how Adelaide is a lost cause in coparision to a second Brisbane side but words aren't worth a lot.

Ask for bidders to host one of 4 double headers in their city, guaranteeing a minimum gate taking plus travel for the teams involved so that they can then prove that they have the crowd, corporate and government support to make an NRL team in their city a reality. The four double headers would be played on the same round so as to harness the media attention to expansion and to show how progressive the NRL is. Also because of the expansion areas are playing at the same time they would all be trying to outdo each other for the benefit of Rugby League. What would be the downside of this???

The NRL expansion weekend. 4 separate double headers hosted in expansion areas across Australia or NZ. Why not give it a go?

I guess the only problem would be that this would require the NRL to be proactive...oh wait I see the potential problem now.....

Dogs Of War

Coach
It would be of more value by having 4 games over 4 weekends. At least then you are offering a product that is accessible over that period to most people who are interested, and also offers a sustained promotion of the product, rather than the hit and run approach of the MES "Magic" weekend.

Good suggestion made in earlier response that can be developed further.

Why dont we have a NRL Expansion Round!

So if there are 4 areas that want to have a team in the NRL why not make them work for it!

We could argue for ages about the merits of Perth vs the Central Coast or Central QLD vs Wellington in NZ or how Adelaide is a lost cause in coparision to a second Brisbane side but words aren't worth a lot.

Ask for bidders to host one of 4 double headers in their city, guaranteeing a minimum gate taking plus travel for the teams involved so that they can then prove that they have the crowd, corporate and government support to make an NRL team in their city a reality. The four double headers would be played on the same round so as to harness the media attention to expansion and to show how progressive the NRL is. Also because of the expansion areas are playing at the same time they would all be trying to outdo each other for the benefit of Rugby League. What would be the downside of this???

The NRL expansion weekend. 4 separate double headers hosted in expansion areas across Australia or NZ. Why not give it a go?

I guess the only problem would be that this would require the NRL to be proactive...oh wait I see the potential problem now.....

The NRL is run by News Ltd Cronies who couldn't be more happy to see the Sydney Clubs start falling by the Hour(considering their ruthless plan in the 90's to turn the home of Rugby League into a 3 team pile of sh*t). So that would explain why we feel that the NRL never does anything for the good worth of the game and fans because they are "infected" by a bug which owns 50% of its profits.

redvscotty

First Grade
I don't think the populations would have been big enough. What about Melbourne though? I realise they already have a team, but surely creating (more) interest in a (almost) full on AFL town, can't hurt?

The Observer

Staff member
Manly CEO Grant Mayer (formerly CEO of Super league's French club Catalan Dragons) proposed an NRL Magic weekend in Brisbane. The NRL and other clubs didn't supprot the idea though. I think if the ANZAC Test was held on ANZAC Day, and a bye weekend given before or after it, that could be a good opportunity to hold a Magic weekend (be it 13s or 7s).

magpie_man

Juniors
some great ideas in this thread.
i don't think adelaide and perth are ready for a whole round yet, double headers might be the go.
melbourne, brisbane, auckland and wellington magic could be good though...

The only way I could see this working is if a whole round was played in areas with:

1\ Expansion possibilities

2\ Adequate Stadia

3\ Interest from local supporters

After the debacle in Adelaide, this could be tough to sell to the NRL. The places where a game could be held are limited to Perth (WAR Zone / Subiaco / WACA), Adelaide (Hindmarsh Stadium / Adelaide Oval), Hobart (Bellereive Oval), and Gosford (Blue Tongue Stadium) in Australia, with Christchurch (Lancaster Park), and Wellington (Cake Tin) being available in NZ.

Latest posts