What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it time to go back to 1 referee?

Vaisey

Juniors
Do you think the Nrl needs to revert back to 1 referee?

In my opinion I don't think 2 referees is working, I don't see any positives apart from managing the wrestling taking place in tackles and even that isn't being accomplished. (don't even get me started on this hand on the ball crap)

What we currently have is 2 referees regularly contradicting each other, there is no 2 referees in the competition that are on the exact same page when it comes to how the game should be played.

I think if we want more consistency during the game then 1 referee is the way to go, give them back complete control over the game. Sure we are still going to get inconsistent decisions being made game to game but I would much rather that than it being presented in the one game when one ref is seeing the game differently to the other.

I've been a fan of league my entire life, but I find myself watching more and more Afl as I can't wrap my head around how bad our once beloved game has become. I truly believe that this will be a step in the right direction to bringing back the game we once knew as the greatest game of all...

No it works. I've seen it help the ruck, England want 2 refs, it's just a matter of them having enough refs. Regarding the hands on the ball, well IMO ppl should be tackling the player not the ball, trying to wrap up the ball should be illegal, it will lead to more off-loads, which is a good thing. Especially after watching Origin II, Origin I was overrated too IMO.

Snappy

Coach
Lol No.

You don't like the standard of refs so you go watch fumble ball ? Makes sense....

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Do you think the Nrl needs to revert back to 1 referee?

In my opinion I don't think 2 referees is working, I don't see any positives apart from managing the wrestling taking place in tackles and even that isn't being accomplished. (don't even get me started on this hand on the ball crap)

What we currently have is 2 referees regularly contradicting each other, there is no 2 referees in the competition that are on the exact same page when it comes to how the game should be played.

I think if we want more consistency during the game then 1 referee is the way to go, give them back complete control over the game. Sure we are still going to get inconsistent decisions being made game to game but I would much rather that than it being presented in the one game when one ref is seeing the game differently to the other.

I've been a fan of league my entire life, but I find myself watching more and more Afl as I can't wrap my head around how bad our once beloved game has become. I truly believe that this will be a step in the right direction to bringing back the game we once knew as the greatest game of all...
So you can't get your head around how bad our beloved game has become??? :lol:

So instead you watch the most geniused, Unco, clusterf**k of an abortion the world has ever seen. Yeah i too am upset with the refereeing standards, first thing i'm going to do is watch fumble ball :lol:

You are either demented, or you are a troll.

In my opinion the current standard of NRL refereeing is very poor, maybe the worst I have seen in my 30 plus years of watching. Will we be heading for another referees coach next year?

Going back to one referee won't help when there are so many biased, inept or just incompetent referees.

If Shayne Hayne referees first grade ever again after last night the NRL is a joke.

themacemaceman

Juniors
People have been bagging refs since 1908.
We here the same garbage every year about the refs.
Get over it people.
If you can do a better job step up and have a go yourself.
Yes they make a few obvious wrong decisions at times but with the assistance of the video these days there is definately a lower percentage of incorrect calls.

And another thing.... It pisses me off watching players argue with the ref every time he blows the whistle.
If there's one thing refs could do better its to start marching people 10m if they want to question a decision.
I thought the league was cracking down on this but it seems worse than ever.

Kiwi

First Grade
Why would having one ref be any better, especially when a lot of the mistakes are happening in the video refs box as well.

Vaisey

Juniors
So you can't get your head around how bad our beloved game has become??? :lol:

So instead you watch the most geniused, Unco, clusterf**k of an abortion the world has ever seen. Yeah i too am upset with the refereeing standards, first thing i'm going to do is watch fumble ball :lol:

You are either demented, or you are a troll.

Well "fumble ball" must be doing something right. They destroy the Nrl in ratings and get bums on seats week in week out. Even new expansions like the Gold Coast sun's pull in bigger crowds than most Nrl clubs.

The fact is I find it difficult to even watch a full game of league as a neutral supporter without getting frustrated due to the inability to referee the game correctly. Refereeing needs to be the utmost importance as new supporters will find it difficult to watch when half the time players and coaches have nfi about most decisions being made. When has the refereeing ever been this poor? And what has been the biggest recent changes made to refereeing? Adding an additional ref.. It's quite obvious it isn't working the way it was intended so why not change it back?

I've been a fan of league my whole life but the more I watch the more I get fed up with what the games become and that is a game with no substance.

We outlaw things that made our game unique and turned it into more of an abortion than Afl will ever become. People get fed up and will find other products to support and Afl being our direct competition it's only natural to at least give it a chance and who knows those people might like it and league will be left behind. Things certainly seem that way at the moment when you flick over the channel next time it's obvious to see that Afl is light years ahead in every aspect.

Kiwi

First Grade
People have been bagging refs since 1908.
We here the same garbage every year about the refs.
Get over it people.
If you can do a better job step up and have a go yourself.
Yes they make a few obvious wrong decisions at times but with the assistance of the video these days there is definately a lower percentage of incorrect calls.

And another thing.... It pisses me off watching players argue with the ref every time he blows the whistle.
If there's one thing refs could do better its to start marching people 10m if they want to question a decision.
I thought the league was cracking down on this but it seems worse than ever.

Get over the fact they are getting worse and deciding matches on a regular basis? A lower percentage of incorrect calls thanks to the video ref, how so when they f**k up on a regular basis, I've lost count the amount of times we hear commentators in disbelief when it comes to video ref calls this year alone. We see obvious biased in matches with penalty counts where sides win them easily at half time and then the square up happens after half time if the other side is lucky. Look at last night an obvious try not even checked then 4 penalties to the one side to give them a 16 point turn around, it was disgraceful. We are meant to accept that when it happens far to often?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Well "fumble ball" must be doing something right. They destroy the Nrl in ratings and get bums on seats week in week out. Even new expansions like the Gold Coast sun's pull in bigger crowds than most Nrl clubs.

The fact is I find it difficult to even watch a full game of league as a neutral supporter without getting frustrated due to the inability to referee the game correctly. Refereeing needs to be the utmost importance as new supporters will find it difficult to watch when half the time players and coaches have nfi about most decisions being made. When has the refereeing ever been this poor? And what has been the biggest recent changes made to refereeing? Adding an additional ref.. It's quite obvious it isn't working the way it was intended so why not change it back?

I've been a fan of league my whole life but the more I watch the more I get fed up with what the games become and that is a game with no substance.

We outlaw things that made our game unique and turned it into more of an abortion than Afl will ever become. People get fed up and will find other products to support and Afl being our direct competition it's only natural to at least give it a chance and who knows those people might like it and league will be left behind. Things certainly seem that way at the moment when you flick over the channel next time it's obvious to see that Afl is light years ahead in every aspect.
Welcome troll :lol:

But but but but but but but i am a life long RL fan :lol:

You cretins start off with the same routine, i am a life long RL fan. But now the game is no good, i now am now watching AFL more and more. it is light years ahead in all aspects and you should watch a game yourself and you will be hooked :lol:

So transparent and easy to see through, off to the fight club with you old son..........

Vaisey

Juniors
Welcome troll :lol:

But but but but but but but i am a life long RL fan :lol:

You cretins start off with the same routine, i am a life long RL fan. But now the game is no good, i now am now watching AFL more and more. it is light years ahead in all aspects and you should watch a game yourself and you will be hooked :lol:

So transparent and easy to see through, off to the fight club with you old son..........

You can't even add any input apart from labelling me as a troll and chucking a few sentences together from previous posts with a few smilies here and there. Great work, come back when you actually have something more meaningful to contribute.

POPEYE

Coach
You can't even add any input apart from labelling me as a troll and chucking a few sentences together from previous posts with a few smilies here and there. Great work, come back when you actually have something more meaningful to contribute.

If League was played without any meaningful rules as is AFL referees wouldn't be scrutinised so much, the best thing about Fumbleball is the lack of stoppages. I'd be prepared to see handling suffer slightly, not become non existent as you like it, in order to keep our game flowing.

All that is needed is for referees to see themselves as judges and not rulers, stop the game when one side is disadvantaged and let the players decide the outcome. AFL relies on the bounce of the ball and League relies on the skill of passing . . . whatever makes your hair blow back

kbw

Bench
In my opinion the current standard of NRL refereeing is very poor, maybe the worst I have seen in my 30 plus years of watching. Will we be heading for another referees coach next year?

Going back to one referee won't help when there are so many biased, inept or just incompetent referees.

If Shayne Hayne referees first grade ever again after last night the NRL is a joke.

Spot on. They do not control the game and do not get the respect on the field they are supposed to have.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If you had just stuck to RL talk and not even mentioned AFL you would have had some debate but why the need to tell us how much better AFL is and how it is destroying RL????

And then telling us we should watch AFL, Sure signs of a troll.

TheFrog

Coach
So when was this wonderful time when refereeing was fantastic and mistakes were never made? I don't remember it, and I've been following the game for over half a century. Even Darcy Lawler made the odd howler. Back in those days, though, fans accepted the decision. That is what has changed. The fans, not the refs.

Kiwi

First Grade
So when was this wonderful time when refereeing was fantastic and mistakes were never made? I don't remember it, and I've been following the game for over half a century. Even Darcy Lawler made the odd howler. Back in those days, though, fans accepted the decision. That is what has changed. The fans, not the refs.

The difference is they are making the mistakes despite having countless replays at their disposal. Take the video ref away and you can live with a few on field blunders, add the video ref who has a bad strike rate when you consider they get whatever replays they want and how ever they want them and you can't excuse that.

Latest posts