What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Kev gone?

simmo05

Bench
I have never heard a former staff member come out & bag a head coach so publicly 2 days after their season finished. Is this Brisbane leaking to soften the blow when they sack golden boy Kev?

Somehow I don’t think tears at a presser will help Kev, the offensive has begun. This smells a bit like Brisbane starting the PR war to soften the blow of sacking the golden boy.

My way or the highway

'His way or the highway': Former Broncos trainer slams Kevvie, accuses players of being '110 per cent' too pampered.​

A former Broncos trainer has accused Kevin Walters of lining the club with ‘yes men’, as pressure mounts on the embattled coach.

Fresh off a 2023 grand final appearance, the Broncos have fallen spectacularly from grace in 2024, slumping to 12th on the ladder with a 10-14 record and finishing the year with a disastrous 50-12 loss to minor premiers the Storm.

Speaking on 4BC Radio, Mark ‘Chopper’ Burgess, who was part of the club’s high performance team in 2022 and previously worked under Wayne Bennett at the Broncos between 1998 and 2004, compared Walters unfavourably to the master coach, saying he doesn’t like to be challenged by staffers.

“You just don’t argue with the boss,” Burgess said of his time under Walters.

“I’ve had so many arguments with Wayne Bennett, Michael Maguire, Ricky Stuart and Steve Kearney, all great coaches. “They want to have a different perspective. They want a trainer in their crew to say, ‘Listen, that might not be right. Can we do it this way?’

“Whereas with Kevvie’s crew, it was his way or the highway.

“I love Kev. He’s a great bloke. He’s a terrific guy. I know his wife and his kids, but the key is leadership.

“The key is this is the boss, this is what we do, they delegate when they have to.

“If the Broncos don’t get some honesty, then you’re going to get the same results.

“Kevvie’s got big problems with the people around him. I don’t know that that’s very supportive for Kevvie, he hasn’t had great support.

Burgess was also scathing of the Broncos’ set-up off-field, claiming players are overly pampered with excessive staff and immaculate facilities a far cry from what the premiership-winning teams of yesteryear worked with.

“Two biggest things that shocked me [while working at the Broncos in 2022]… one, there were way too many mirrors in the gym; and two, you weren’t allowed to sweat, and if you did, you carried a towel with you.

“This palatial gymnasium they have looks more like a hairdressing salon.

“Wayne Bennett won many titles in a rusted old gym beside the bowls club. I walked into the Broncos in 2022 and there’s a trainer per player doing something that justified their existence and position there.

“I asked that quite regularly and was mowed down for my comments. It was a bit of a power trip for a lot of their staff.

“They have this high-performance centre worth millions and millions of dollars, it’s the benchmark in the competition… clearly it’s not showing on the field.”
Sherlock Holmes over here!

simmo05

Bench
Extra salty today?
You realise that quoting an article almost a month ago doesn’t qualify for detective work, well for those with an iq above 80 anyway.

It appears the ex-employee was spot on. Good times.
I was giving ya a complement ya donut, I'm not a donkey supporter

Last Week

Bench
‘I call BS’: Legend’s lashing for critics as Walters ‘witch-hunt’ declared a ‘hatchet job’

Gorden Tallis has fiercely defended Kevin Walters, as well as himself, following Walters’ shock sacking by the Broncos which one pundit labelled a “witch-hunt and hatchet job”.

Walters was given his marching orders on Thursday, with CEO Dave Donaghy providing input into the decision the following day, with Blues coach Michael Maguire reportedly the No. 1 target for the now vacant coaching position.

Throughout the season, NRL360 co-host Tallis has defended his former Broncos teammate Walters, believing he’s the right man for the job.

However, the steadfast defence of Walters this season from Tallis and several former Brisbane players has led to criticism, which centred on the Broncos ‘old boys’ as trying to protect one of their own.

On Sunday, Tallis lashed out at that criticism on Triple M.

“I’m going to call BS on everyone who says old boys. I’ve got a job in the media. I’m not an old boy. I work at the Titans... I’m paid for my opinion and that’s what I give,” Tallis said.

“When I said Tim Sheens should have been sacked at the West Tigers, no one said anything. When I said Robbo needs to win a grand final, no one said anything. But because it’s the Broncos and I say something, or Wayne Bennett, they say old boys. It’s got nothing to do with it. It actually has nothing to do with it. It’s just me talking about a situation in the game that I love. I’m not a Bronco. I haven’t been a Bronco for 20 years.”

Tallis also spoke about his initial reaction to the Walters news, saying he was “shocked”, while also revealing he never believed Walters was ever supported fully at the Broncos.

“My first reaction, I was shocked. I was sitting at the airport, we finished 360, and I’m there and then my phone lit up and it lit up (with) like 20 (texts) ‘Is it true? Is it true?’” Tallis said.

“So I rang and spoke to Kevvie and he was like, ‘Yeah mate, it’s true’... he seemed to be in a really good headspace and then the next day, myself and my wife went and had lunch on the Friday and then I popped around his place and I think it’s a weight lifted off his shoulders.

“I don’t think he ever felt like he got the support that he wanted. From day one, he had to go buy his own shirt to do his own press conference. I felt like he was doing it all alone.

“But he said he’s really proud that he got to captain the club, so proud that he was three minutes away of winning one as a coach, and that was his dream.”

It has been reported by The Courier Mail that Walters was sacked following an end-of-season review from the Broncos. spearheaded by Donaghy and chairman Karl Morris.

The Broncos released a statement which claimed it was Walters’ decision to quit the club.

Fox League’s James Hooper said that he doesn’t like the way it’s been handled from the Broncos, believing Walters has been betrayed, while doubting whether a “review” actually took place.

“I think it’s been a witch-hunt and a hatchet job that’s been six to eight weeks in the making. I don’t think anybody’s buying the fairytale that they just all of a sudden did a review last week and then the conclusion was reached on Wednesday where they decided to part ways with Kevin,” Hooper said on Triple M.

“The Broncos chairman, Karl Morris, has been openly telling people that Kevin was in all likelihood going to be sacked for the last couple of months. I don’t like the way that it’s been handled. I don’t like the way that Kevvie was forced in front of the cameras on Thursday, and I thought Dave Donaghy came across as insincere.

“He’s just knifed the bloke and yet he’s then going to stand there and pretend that he’s going to support him. I think it left a bad taste in a lot of people’s mouths.

“The review is clearly just a facade. They had already made this decision. I think it’s Karl Morris, who’s the chairman. I think it’s Dave Donaghy, who’s the CEO. They’ve clearly done a lot of background due diligence, they’re in there every day, and they had made the decision then.

“They’ve just gone through the process of the review to tick all the boxes and make sure that everything looks as though it’s got a bow on it, but I think it’s actually come across as the opposite.”

Tallis then doubled down with a lashing of his former club.

“I’ve rang some real powerful guys in our game to talk about reviews and guys that have done reviews at clubs and all that, and basically they say it’s a coward’s way because the CEO and the chairman don’t want to make the decision,” Tallis said.

“But is it (the review) on the whole club? Is it on the CEO? Is it on the recruitment? Is it on the board whether they’re making the right decision? That’s a proper review, not just on the coach... if it keeps on being the coaches, they’re going to sack this next coach, which is Madge by the way, because they were talking to him in August.

“Something needs to change at the organisation.”

www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2024-gorden-tallis-blasts-critics-after-brisbane-broncos-sack-kevin-walters-who-will-replace-walters-michael-maguire-dave-donaghy-rugby-league-news/news-story/2ef830bc30355ffc823e16f891a6dc6c

Last Week

Bench
Tallis questioned whether the current NSW Blues mentor was the right man for the job.

"Do a review on him at Souths and Tigers, then you'd have your answer," he said.

"This is one thing that I do know - coaching NSW against Queensland without Tino, Flegler, Gilbert and Munster - they are two different coaches. A rep coach is not a club coach … it's a massive difference.

"The best candidate has been sacked by his last two clubs."

Latest posts