What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Kev gone?

yobbo84

Coach
Look at Madge's record.

At Souths.

Gordie's Neurons firing at full capacity.

Madge is perfect for this squad. They will burn out on him after a few years but they will absolutely get a shot at some titles.
A ridiculously talented squad, full of super athletes, not quite reaching their potential?

A couple of old heads to tell the younger ones to STFU and this is what you need to a win a comp?

Madge is perfect for them right now.

They'll be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years, but in that time, if they listen and put in - he'll win them a comp.

t-ba

Post Whore
A ridiculously talented squad, full of super athletes, not quite reaching their potential?

A couple of old heads to tell the younger ones to STFU and this is what you need to a win a comp?

Madge is perfect for them right now.

They'll be looking for a new coach in 3-4 years, but in that time, if they listen and put in - he'll win them a comp.

Look if he was a soccer manager I reckon he could secure Tottenham the Carabao cup in a few seasons before crashing out.

The highest praise imaginable.

yobbo84

Coach
Look if he was a soccer manager I reckon he could secure Tottenham the Carabao cup in a few seasons before crashing out.

The highest praise imaginable.
The biggest thing Madge needs to look for is my 2nd point.. old heads to tell the players who want to complain to shut up and work hard.

He had that at Souths with GI and Sam.

Once he lost that at Souths, he lost the playing group.

Scootsie

Juniors
Hard to see Walters coaching elsewhere in the NRL, especially after the way it has all been handled. I mean, there‘s Lots of innuendo about his coaching and no real specific explanation for letting him go. That’s stuff about him always being an ambassador is just rubbish, sort of claiming ownership over him but at the same time the not so subtle message is ‘he’s not a coach’.
I hope he gets a coaching gig at another club, and I hope he gets a chance to redeem his reputation.

Trifili13

Juniors
While no one wants to see anyone loose their job, coaching at the elite level in any sport is ruthless. Would any of the top teams go anywhere near Kevvie? Unlikely even any of the lower teams would go near him given his lack of achievement at the senior coaching level apart from a couple of assistant roles. Then again TBaz keeps on getting roles so there still might be hope for Kevvie.

Wb1234

Immortal
Madge reuniting with his 2014 prem winning half back

Was funny seeing people say his time in club land was done literally after he won the pacific cup with nz and origin against slater (made slater look hopeless tbh)

King hit

Coach
Tallis questioned whether the current NSW Blues mentor was the right man for the job.

"Do a review on him at Souths and Tigers, then you'd have your answer," he said.

"This is one thing that I do know - coaching NSW against Queensland without Tino, Flegler, Gilbert and Munster - they are two different coaches. A rep coach is not a club coach … it's a massive difference.

"The best candidate has been sacked by his last two clubs."

What a drop kick he is. No doubt whatsoever if it was anyone else Tallis would be raging calling them useless and begging Walters to take over. McGuire has also won a premiership and had the tigers competing for the 8.

Just listening to Tallis talk makes me feel like I lose a year of my life expectancy.

Scootsie

Juniors
While no one wants to see anyone loose their job, coaching at the elite level in any sport is ruthless. Would any of the top teams go anywhere near Kevvie? Unlikely even any of the lower teams would go near him given his lack of achievement at the senior coaching level apart from a couple of assistant roles. Then again TBaz keeps on getting roles so there still might be hope for Kevvie.
But that’s where the debate lays. Did he really under achieve. Apart from going from Grand Finalists to nowhere this season, some are arguing he got the Broncos club into pretty good shape compared to where it was.

Woody90

Juniors
Madge is only a good option in a very narrow set of circumstances (very short-term deal, team that’s got the personnel to win a comp immediately before he burns the players out) - I think the Broncos are in that place though and it’s a good appointment. Only would have done 2 years though.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Gorden Tallis has fiercely defended Kevin Walters, as well as himself
Wow, so he claims to be an independent media professional. Called for the Sheenius to be sacked, called out Wobbo for not winning a premiership recently, but when Kevvie was sacked "the next day, myself and my wife went and had lunch on the Friday and then I popped around his place and I think it’s a weight lifted off his shoulders."

no name

Referee
So good hearing Gordy’s impartial view on a topic which he has no skin in.

Claiming Walters is a better coach than Madge. Says why didn’t the Broncos get Trent Robinson or Cameron Ciraldo. If it is about Origin wins, why not get Mal because he won 8. Then when it gets suggested that the Broncos should get him in to inspire the players of today, ‘lose my number, I’m a Titan’
The meltdown has been hilarious.

Munky

Coach
So good hearing Gordy’s impartial view on a topic which he has no skin in.

Claiming Walters is a better coach than Madge. Says why didn’t the Broncos get Trent Robinson or Cameron Ciraldo. If it is about Origin wins, why not get Mal because he won 8. Then when it gets suggested that the Broncos should get him in to inspire the players of today, ‘lose my number, I’m a Titan’
The meltdown has been hilarious.

The Broncos have the same issue that the Tigers do.

Letting their golden era players have influence on the club.

The Broncos just are much better resourced and were able to ride pure talent to near success in 2023. Kev never got the blame he deserved for how bad the Broncos were in the first half of the GF. Deer in headlights until individual plays blew the game apart.

PENRITH thank f**k don't take advice from Craig Gower.

Chimp

Bench
The biggest thing Madge needs to look for is my 2nd point.. old heads to tell the players who want to complain to shut up and work hard.

He had that at Souths with GI and Sam.

Once he lost that at Souths, he lost the playing group.

Agree… I said ages ago that McGuire is the sort of coach the Broncos need, but…… I don’t see egos in that team buying in. I reckon he’ll struggle to get respect from certain players unless he can get in a couple of ‘winners’. He could really do with a couple of Dale Finucane/Cam McInnes type players who will live, train and play at the highest level of professionalism and intensity, and will force teammates to come along with them.
If the players ‘buy in’ to what Madge is offering, they’ll win comps, if they don’t, it’ll go horribly wrong, and quickly.

Wb1234

Immortal
Souths players didn’t want to train hard after the grand final

Thats why their form slumped

Even Bennett couldn’t win a comp at Souths