What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Nicho Hynes overrated?

As thread title

• Yes

Votes: 29 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 11 27.5%

• Total voters
Seems like a nice bloke. Good footy player.

As a clutch halfback he ranks somewhere around Ben Hunt and Mitchell Pearce.

Pearce though was the starting fullback in an NRL Premiership winning team, and a NSW series winning side (even though he was in many losing origin sides). Hunt can't claim that in terms of the NRL, nor being a starting halfback in a winning Origin side :)

Munky

Coach
I’m happy for you to end this debate by providing one example of Hunt making a clutch play to win a big game while playing halfback.

There was that time in a GF where he single-handedly achieved field position for the game winning play

Also the semi where he ran on the last to provide the field position to decide the game.

SBD82

Coach
There was that time in a GF where he single-handedly achieved field position for the game winning play

Also the semi where he ran on the last to provide the field position to decide the game.
See this? This is how LU should be done.

SBD82

Coach
Pearce though was the starting fullback in an NRL Premiership winning team, and a NSW series winning side (even though he was in many losing origin sides). Hunt can't claim that in terms of the NRL, nor being a starting halfback in a winning Origin side :)
Pearce was a very good club halfback. I’d have loved to have him at his peak.

But he had about as much clutch as the some of the paddock bashers that I learned to drive in.

Lets be real Golden Point to decide a GF was a joke, shouldn't have taken a game to be decided in that manner to change the rules.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Statistically he gets more Try Assists and LB Assists then the lot you mentioned.

Try Assists 2023
Hynes - 26
Hughes - 21
DCE - 18
Cleary - 17

Try Assists 2024
Hynes - 12
Hughes - 8
DCE - 6
Cleary - 5

LB Assists 2023
Hynes - 31
Hughes - 24
DCE - 19
Cleary - 15

LB Assists 2024
Hynes - 13
DCE - 9
Hughes - 9
Cleary - 4

I do think the sharks traditionally easy draw plays a part in these stats. As said he’s clearly a good player, the Knock is what he does in big games. Would you take him over any of those halves in a grand final?

I do think the sharks traditionally easy draw plays a part in these stats. As said he’s clearly a good player, the Knock is what he does in big games. Would you take him over any of those halves in a grand final?

At the moment no but you also have to remember both DCE and Cleary had the same flag on them early and over come it with performances.. Cronk, Smith, Slater and co didn't even want to know DCE early on, pretty much got banned from rep footy because the senior players didn't think much of him now his in the conversation of the best rep player around.

Bazal

Post Whore

It's also probably an indication they rely on him more than the other sides rely on their 7 as an individual.

Cleary is a great example. How often does he throw the last pass for a try and record an assist as against how often he throws the important pass earlier in the movement (for example). Sometimes the assist isn't the important stat.

It's also probably an indication they rely on him more than the other sides rely on their 7 as an individual.

Cleary is a great example. How often does he throw the last pass for a try and record an assist as against how often he throws the important pass earlier in the movement (for example). Sometimes the assist isn't the important stat.

DCE gets raps left right and centre although Manly never make the finals and I wouldn't say his 6 or 9 are preventing him getting try assists or line break assists because they both suck.

Bazal

Post Whore
DCE gets raps left right and centre although Manly never make the finals and I wouldn't say his 6 or 9 are preventing him getting try assists or line break assists because they both suck.

I don't rate DCE as highly as others here for that reason tbh. He's very good at getting the side around though. If Hynes was half as good he'd be a top tier 7.

He does have Turbo, when the hamstring gods allow.

Latest posts