What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I heard Hodgson had a go at Ricky because everything discussed at a team meeting had already been leaked to NRL 360 the night before.

Sticky places his media mates before his team.
Ehh the stuff quoted in the article has been said on forums for years now. Its a stretch to say Rickys responsible for journalists saying what fans have for 2 seasons now.

shear_joy9

Coach
I don't think there's many canberra fans that would prefer to keep ricky over tapine at this point in time.

won't take much for canberra to be premiership contender next season. Medically retire croker and let him wash the jerseys each week, ship Hodgson off to anyone that wants him, use that money to sign some backs that can actually make some metres and break a tackle, give tapine a cuddle and fly over william's missus' parents to keep her happy. Surely even simple Don can see that.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Stick has done a lot right here but if he can't keep the players onside what's the point of him

Because he's not exactly coaching structure.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
While I'm having a whinge I will continue

Papalii and Tapine have played better footy in their careers but they have still been above average for the side. So he's dropped them to make them play better???

It's like dropping Steve Smith for averaging 45 in a summer our bowlers get carted. Yeah that's below what he's capable of but it's not bad and it's not our main problem anyway

How is dropping two elite players for performing as good as any other forward in the team sensible.

BadnMean

Juniors
I don't think there's many canberra fans that would prefer to keep ricky over tapine at this point in time.

won't take much for canberra to be premiership contender next season. Medically retire croker and let him wash the jerseys each week, ship Hodgson off to anyone that wants him, use that money to sign some backs that can actually make some metres and break a tackle, give tapine a cuddle and fly over william's missus' parents to keep her happy. Surely even simple Don can see that.

Probably the simplest solution.
If it involves Ricky leaving- never happen while his best childhood mate Don is at the club. And honestly what kind of culture does it leave behind?

Best outcome is hope moving Croker & Hodgo's big money underpermance along sweetens the rest of the club up enough to move forward with, so I agree with you there. (and from similar sample sizes of the last 2 years, we won a fair bit more with Starling than we did with Hodgo, and only one of those guys is <30 with zero knee recos & also just happens to come for 2/3- 3/4 the cap space even with an upgrade...)

GongPanther

Referee
If Canberra lose to the hopeless knights it’ll be time to put the binoculars down on this one

giphy.gif
The Knights of Niii!

shear_joy9

Coach
Probably the simplest solution.
If it involves Ricky leaving- never happen while his best childhood mate Don is at the club. And honestly what kind of culture does it leave behind?

Best outcome is hope moving Croker & Hodgo's big money underpermance along sweetens the rest of the club up enough to move forward with, so I agree with you there. (and from similar sample sizes of the last 2 years, we won a fair bit more with Starling than we did with Hodgo, and only one of those guys is <30 with zero knee recos & also just happens to come for 2/3- 3/4 the cap space even with an upgrade...)

let go croker, hodgson, soliola, lui and possibly rapana; give George Willy a nice new contract and pay rise and there is still almost $2 million to go shopping with. Replace lui, soliola and hodgson with u20's players and canberra can make a play for some stud backs such as daniel tupou or semi radradra

Last edited:

nick87

Coach
Clearing the decks to make a bold play at a superstar winger...
A tried and true path to premiership success!

BadnMean

Juniors
Clearing the decks to make a bold play at a superstar winger...
A tried and true path to premiership success!

All the dead wood is fair enough.

Our back 5 is putrid. You make the play at a FB (CNK to centre) like Hynes or Dufty or at least a good winger = affordable with Savage or Semi on the other wing on peanuts. There are perhaps only 2 or 3 back 5s collectively worse than ours at present. It's a killer in the current game.

The other option if Georgey goes is to play at a half like Reynolds or...