What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opinion Is Ricky Stuart the most overrated coach ever?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'll say two things.

First, Ricky normally acts like a petulant prick in press conferences, answering questions with one word answers or 'you tell me, you watched the game'. Yet here he gives this answer. I'm not sure what my point is but I had one when I started posting. He's a sore lose basically.

Second, if BunniesWank thinks its OK then it's wrong. Ricky was out of line and he's trying to back peddle out, his media mates will help him.

That's not remotely accurate. He left the parra job because the Raiders job opened up and that was his dream coaching job. Had nothing to do with the job being too tough, in fact the project situation pretty clearly shows he was very much up for that challenge, not that i think he'd have been successful mind you... but to paint it as him walking because the job was too hard is grossly inaccuate haha
Had his Parra project been progressing well and h oh s marquee signings agreeing to come, would he have left? Doubt it

Black Panther

Juniors
Eiso will have as much hand in those premierships as you and i.
It's the happy gilmore scene.... One problem, Matt. You're not any good!

Stuart absolutely racking up the wins here. You love to see it
Not racking up any wins versus Penrith though…

nick87

Coach
Had his Parra project been progressing well and h oh s marquee signings agreeing to come, would he have left? Doubt it

Absolutely, no doubt about it he'd have left
Again, coaching is a profession without any job security and in Canberra he gets to work with his mates and gets 3 year extensions when he's missing the finals 66% of his years
Why the f**k would he stick around at parra when that opportunity presents itself?

King-Gutho94

Coach
Absolutely, no doubt about it he'd have left
Again, coaching is a profession without any job security and in Canberra he gets to work with his mates and gets 3 year extensions when he's missing the finals 66% of his years
Why the f**k would he stick around at parra when that opportunity presents itself?
Why didn't he just stay coaching NSW for another couple of years. If he wanted the raiders job. Instead of signing with parramatta knowing he wasn't going to be there long term.

I can't recall how Canberra were going but was Dave Furner under pressure in 2012 and signs that he would have been getting axed in late 2013.

gerg

Juniors
Everyone seems to want to borrow the projector... let me tell you fellas something, i've watched the 2022 Canberra Raiders play and Stuart himself might not be done with it yet.

Somebody at the Raiders needs to deliver Ricky a mirror, not a projector.

nick87

Coach
Why didn't he just stay coaching NSW for another couple of years. If he wanted the raiders job. Instead of signing with parramatta knowing he wasn't going to be there long term.

I can't recall how Canberra were going but was Dave Furner under pressure in 2012 and signs that he would have been getting axed in late 2013.

The Raiders had Dave Furner as the HC at the time, his brother Don Furner Jr is the CEO and has been for decades, and there was no reason to think that job was opening any time
The chairman of the board famously said they wouldnt sack Furner even if he lost 30 games in a row

It took a player revolt and if you believe the rumours, assurances from Stuart that if Furner wasnt around he'd take the job in order to sack Furner.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
The Raiders had Dave Furner as the HC at the time, his brother Don Furner Jr is the CEO and has been for decades, and there was no reason to think that job was opening any time
The chairman of the board famously said they wouldnt sack Furner even if he lost 30 games in a row

It took a player revolt and if you believe the rumours, assurances from Stuart that if Furner wasnt around he'd take the job in order to sack Furner.
Was Furner that bad? I mean I know he wasn't Supercoach but that makes it sounds like he was Kearney levels of coach

BadnMean

Juniors
Everyone seems to want to borrow the projector... let me tell you fellas something, i've watched the 2022 Canberra Raiders play and Stuart himself might not be done with it yet.
But Ricky over corrected after Projector-Gate and decided he's a "players coach" which means handing out inflated contract extensions to his matey mates like Croker & Whitehead who both inexplicably have on the books until end 2024...

I'd LOVE to see a return of projector ricky and actually recruit again.

Saxon

Bench
Mummy and Daddy stepped in because as everyone keeps pointing out Ricky went back in time and insulted 11 year old Jaemon, so it is entirely appropriate Mummy & Daddy step into to protect 11 year old Jaemon from taunts 23 year old Jaemon is incapable of comprehending.
What a load of crap.
Journos rocked up to their doorstep, stuck microphones under their noses and asked questions. It's not like Mummy and Daddy called up the press and said "I wish to register a complaint!"

beave

Coach
How does he keep getting a job?

His only NRL GF win as a coach was thanks to

a)Graham Murray

and

b) Canterbury losing all their points

His win % at Cronulla was only 40%, and an abysmal 21% at Parra.

Blows my f**king mind Canberra wanted and still want him.

BadnMean

Juniors
What a load of crap.
Journos rocked up to their doorstep, stuck microphones under their noses and asked questions. It's not like Mummy and Daddy called up the press and said "I wish to register a complaint!"

Stuck microphones under their nose and received a pre-prepared statement they just blurted right out! Lucky!

I think if you read the context of the thread you'll see I was mocking the absurdity of the whole thing, using some of the language from other posters and the idea that Ricky had insulted an 11 year old. But anyway, carry on.

Last Week

Bench
Maybe so but he still used his poor daughter’s needs as an excuse for going to Canberra not that it was his dream job.
Another easily forgotten story of his year at Parra.

Parra sign Josh Papali who then changes his mind to stay in Canberra. Ricky then quits Parra and signs on as coach of Canberra. Lucky coincidence I'm sure.

Stuart is a merkin and his legacy should be the fact he has been carrying a grudge against a 12 year old for a decade.

bileduct

Coach

Dude at the time the club were saying Furner could win 100 spoons in a row and they'd still keep him.

You only need to look at the Matthew Elliott/Neil Henry/David Furner reign of error to see why Ricky is still in the job. The Raiderps were a team that had a repeating cycle of getting knocked out first week of the finals one year to being a legitimate wooden spoon contender the next.

Ricky has delivered a GF appearance and two PFs, and with the exception of 2014 where he inherited a flaming dumpster the worst the team has done on the ladder is 10th.

nick87

Coach
Was Furner that bad? I mean I know he wasn't Supercoach but that makes it sounds like he was Kearney levels of coach

He had some moments, he bet on the talent in the premiership winning u20's squad and found SOME success with it, but ultimately he wasnt very good. I dont think he was Kearney level bad, think he just took some bad bets on guys like Fergo and Dugan and the house came to collect.

The point of the post wasnt to talk about his quality as a coach but to speak to the level of job secruity he had, and what it took to get him to be fired, which is why Stuart would take a job at Parra, becasue there was no reason to think the Raiders job would open up

Rare circumstances occurred... what happened next is entirely up to people to believe... but me?
I dont think Furner would have been sacked unless the Chairman Les McIntyre had an iron clad agreement that Stuart would take the job. He was the prodigal son. The club always wanted him and he always wanted to coach the club.