What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Steve Price the best front rower in the world?

Is Steve Price the best front rower in the world?

• Yes

Votes: 43 38.4%
  • No

Votes: 69 61.6%

• Total voters

Godz Illa

Coach
Hard to say who is the best, Price is certainly up there with two or three others. For those who like stats, here is an interesting snapshot. Metres per game and tackles per game - two key prop duties - from the 2007 NRL Season Guide. 10 props chosen.

Metres per game

Price 155
Civoniceva 140.5
Kite 128.5
Ryles 128.4
Bailey 127.8
O’Meley 124.8
Clinton 123
Asotasi 116
Wiki 101.7
Kaufusi 76

Tackles per game

Bailey 29.3
Ryles 25.4
Civoniceva 25.2
Clinton 24.3
O’Meley 22.8
Kite 22
Wiki 21.1
Asotasi 20.9
Kaufusi 20.6
Price 17.2

el magic

Juniors
A great front rower for sure. IMO, Not the best but right up there with the elite.
He does have great leadership roles which makes him an even better prop which is something he does hold higher than most front row forwards.

Others in the top list IMO are Civionceva, OMeley, Mason, Bailey, Peac.ock, Fielden...;)

DeeGan

Bench
A 100% fit Luke Bailey I would have as the best prop in the game - I said this before he entertained the idea of moving north. See any Origin game for NSW where he is consistently amongst the best on the field.

Bull is a Webcke clone and I think he will consolidate the #1 position this season.

Roy Asotasi looks to be hampered a little by the knee injury from last season - he doesn't seem to be having the same impact he had when dominating at Canterbury in a team boasting Mason, Williams and O'Meley.

Brisbane's Petero Civoniceva was great last year in tandem with Webcke (Brisbane) and Price (QLD) - he is there abouts.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
DeeGan said:
A 100% fit Luke Bailey I would have as the best prop in the game - I said this before he entertained the idea of moving north. See any Origin game for NSW where he is consistently amongst the best on the field.

Bull is a Webcke clone and I think he will consolidate the #1 position this season.

Roy Asotasi looks to be hampered a little by the knee injury from last season - he doesn't seem to be having the same impact he had when dominating at Canterbury in a team boasting Mason, Williams and O'Meley.

Brisbane's Petero Civoniceva was great last year in tandem with Webcke (Brisbane) and Price (QLD) - he is there abouts.

The only problem with Bailey is when was the last time he was 100% fit in the last 2-3 years?

boonboon

Juniors
Yeah very close

Price
Civionoceva
Bailey
Asotasi

It depends on what your team needs really

Price makes a lot of meters which is great though and those 4 above along with Morley are the top 5

kooriguy

Juniors
1. petero civoneciva (run like a cement truck.. first run just as hard as last)
2. willie mason (his best pos is at prop, big game player)
3. roy asotasi (animal, pure brute strength)
4. stuart fielden (most athletic and agile front rower i have seen, same as mason)
5. steve price (workhorse)

ShineDog

Juniors
1. Asotasi (by A Country Mile)
2. Petro (one Of A Kind)
3. Mason
4. O'meley
5. Bailey
6. Price
7. Wiki
-------------
2nd Worst : Carlaw
Worst : Kahler
=======

most meters, 2nd in tryscoring for props (behind wiki) and does most work of all props off the balls as well (charge downs etc)

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Don't really see how Asotasi got ahead of Price, since he's just been doing what Price does, but for a much shorter time.

Godz Illa's stats show that Price is the best hit-up man in the game by a margin, even well into his 30s.

I'm actually a massive Asotasi fan but the OTT talk about him has got me a little miffed.

btw Brad, you sure proved me wrong by starting up a poll that I discredited before you even posted it, on a topic that I really don't give 2 sh*ts about :sarcasm:

JJ

Immortal
Price would be the one I'd take... just ahead of Asotasi, Bailey, and Civo.

Price just brings so much to a team - leadership, a lot more game time than most props, and does so many little things that the other props don't...

can't see how the likes of O'Meley, Mason and Wiki or anyone else except perhaps Fielden can even be mentioned in this discussion

Scott

Bench
I wouldn;t swap Price for anyone. Yardage, defense, leadership, mana... The list goes on.

-Dr.J-

Juniors
Price is fantastic. I think the aussies just don't get to see that much of him anymore as the Warriors is pretty much the NRL wilderness.

Latest posts