What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Melbourne Storm a waste of money?

ozjet1

i really think Russell Crowe made a good point re shifting Origin to the end of the season.....wasnt too keen on extending the length of the NRL season tho, if fact, it im of the opinion it should be reduced to 22 rounds but that's not the point here.

the season seems to start gangbusters every year......and this is expected as we've all been jerking ourselves over summer (well, february for me once the NFL ends) as there's nothing else to do sports-wise. then the excitement escalates with the rep season, i.e., Origin. during origin and once it ends, the momentum in the club game really fades away from the halfway of the regular season until september.

the reason for this is due to Origin being marketed as the ultimate rugby league event and the club competition regarded as 2nd -class to it. this is exacerbated by clubs losing rep players for 3-4 games each year. melbournians have their AFL which is the event in that game....the club competition. Rugby League really needs to look at ways in bringing more people thru the gates in that city as well as Sydney, and to do this, it needs to elevate the club competition to a level which is on par with rep football. shifting the rep season to the end of the year can aid this.

many melbournians know that they will never be able to fully appreciate the ultimate league experience, because they dont have an affiliation to either team in it. losing their own players inseason to the game compounds this. this belief needs to be reversed for the game to make any inroad down mexico way.

Last edited:

AILD

Bench
dragqueens fans are a bitter bunch...

Yeah the scummy grapplers still cant get over 99.

200_benkennedy.jpg

Bluebags1908

Juniors
Kicking out the Storm would have to be one of the dumbest ideas I have heard in a long, long, time. Although it would be nice if they were owned by their members or a private consortium and not News Limited.

And Olympic Park is holding back their potential. You watch their attendances grow in the new stadium next year.

Billy2Slater

Juniors
Thanks to everyone who responded to the question on its merits. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH to all the haters who can only abuse. Oh and I picked Billy Slater for my name cos he is great player and of course a Queenslander. :D

MsStorm

Bench
Hmmm. Why join the forum as the star player of a team you bag? Yes, Charlie Saab set a precedent - but not a good role model choice, sunshine.

To suggest Melbourne should be punted is utterly ludicrous. Even though 98% of their fans want to decimate Sydney. The truth is, Melbourne is a fort holding an advanced position for our code, and provide a very competetive team for the locals. Anyone suggesting they should be punted should be shot.

Geez Loudy you always surprise:D

That's not true about 98% of Storm fans want to decimate Sydney.
They just want the fans of all those Sydney clubs go to games and make NRL the No.1 Footy Code in Australia.

MsStorm

Bench
Thanks to everyone who responded to the question on its merits. HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH to all the haters who can only abuse. Oh and I picked Billy Slater for my name cos he is great player and of course a Queenslander. :D

You only posted this thread for want of attention...silly boy:lol:

Loudstrat

Coach
Geez Loudy you always surprise:D

That's not true about 98% of Storm fans want to decimate Sydney.
They just want the fans of all those Sydney clubs go to games and make NRL the No.1 Footy Code in Australia.

It already is!!!!!!!

drake

First Grade
I think I've exhausted myself with Anti-Melbourne tirades over the years. I don't think that the Melbourne franchise entered the League under correct circumstances. I'd love to see the local League in Melbourne take off, and then come into the League as a football club.

But that is just not going to happen. Melbourne will stay as long as News does. They are just an unfortunate symptom of a larger disease.