What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

is the steelers jersey a regular thing now?

redv13

Bench
Lol.. Nothing more childish than saying “no I’m not, you are”.

Anyway, to stop you yelling more, in the first 12 years of the club, our super club won a couple of minor premierships and a title. That was more than either St George or Illawarra had achieved in the previous 20 years.

That’s an impressive increase coming off nearly two decades of failure.

What would greedy sir have preferred? Another 11 premierships in a row?
Oh Stanley, 1992 must have been the best year of your life as a Steelers supporter. Not much doing besides making the ARL finals with the Gold Coast Chargers in 1997!!
17 seasons, 2 years of finals and 3 wooden spoons. Such a great club rich in history and winning :thumbsup_tone1:

Lol.. Nothing more childish than saying “no I’m not, you are”.

Anyway, to stop you yelling more, in the first 12 years of the club, our super club won a couple of minor premierships and a title. That was more than either St George or Illawarra had achieved in the previous 20 years.

That’s an impressive increase coming off nearly two decades of failure.

What would greedy sir have preferred? Another 11 premierships in a row?
Once again, simple question - Where is our promised Super Club?
Not yelling just highlighting so you can focus on what the real issue of this discussion is all about.
We are sitting second last on the ladder and I don't need to remind you of last year do I?
That is the current state of affairs.
Nothing childish about anything I have said to you but you seem to be squirming again.
Stay focused and answer the question.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You got your answer. It’s not the answer you wanted, but you got it.

The JV in it’s first 20 years is infinitely more successful than both the St George and Illawarra sides were in the previous 20 years.

That’s pretty super, even you’d have to agree with that..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Oh Stanley, 1992 must have been the best year of your life as a Steelers supporter. Not much doing besides making the ARL finals with the Gold Coast Chargers in 1997!!
17 seasons, 2 years of finals and 3 wooden spoons. Such a great club rich in history and winning :thumbsup_tone1:
Hi there fanboy..

Nothing against the Steelers, what upsets me and most St George supporters is this, if every team merged then we had nothing to complain about, but you get 4 teams to merge and the rest stay as they were, and 3 of the teams were nearly foundation teams, I honestly would be content if we stayed as St George and if we perished so be it, we might as well have perished because by been St george Illawarra we can't say we have such a great history and such legends like Langlands, Gasnier ,Smith, Chook, etc.....
when they were alive we would parade them around before games and announce them as St George greats, you yourself said St George is no longer,

Can you see were I am coming from, Mergers can't work, and mate I am not putting anyone down or arguing with anyone ,I am just saying what I feel and what a lot of people are thinking.

I think this discussion was well over due
You make some very valid points even though head in the sand, JV apologists like Muzby keep spruiking their brand of crazy.
Just forget about STI for a moment. West Tigers has been an abject failure as a JV and everyone tends to forget about the Norths/Manly debacle which culminated in poor old Norths being left out in the cold.
Yet clubs like Easts, Souths (who had to battle to stay alive and keep their identity), Parramatta and even Cronulla have stood alone and have prospered.
Why would you tamper with the identity of the most famous, iconic rugby league club in the history of the game? Why would you even contemplate such a move?
I don't believe for a moment that the reason was financial.
We just did not have enough staunch management who could have rejected this path to nowhere.
JV was consummated and sold to the public as a Super Club.
That hasn't happened by any stretch of the imagination and we are now worse off than we were before the JV.
Why is our history always down played and disrespected?
Why do we have to forget about that and focus on our latter day iteration of our club?
I'm with you champ.
These are not popular topics for debate but no one has yet to demonstrate to me what the JV has offered up to the current fan base regardless of whether they were ex-St.George or Illawarra supporters before the marriage.
I agree with you, we have no real identity or sense of belonging.
The results reflect that except for the 3 year Bennett oasis.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Whilst it’s nice you see me as the face of the JV Dennis, out of curiosity.... Had St George been stand alone, what would they have done differently in the past 20 years that they had not done in the previous 20 years?

You got your answer. It’s not the answer you wanted, but you got it.

The JV in it’s first 20 years is infinitely more successful than both the St George and Illawarra sides were in the previous 20 years.

That’s pretty super, even you’d have to agree with that..
Side step, deflect, squirm and avoid - I'll ask for the 3rd time.
Where is the Super Club we were promised?
What you describe is not a Super Club and lame comparisons are just red herrings.
The JV management is asking us to be members NOW, buy merchandise NOW support the club NOW.
Where is our Super Club? Serious question. Give me a serious answer not a fluffy deflection.
As a fan of the JV I accepted the idea that we would continue on from 1999 and become a powerhouse in the NRL for ever and a day.
I just want what we were promised.
It's not too much to ask.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Side step, deflect, squirm and avoid - I'll ask for the 3rd time.
Where is the Super Club we were promised?
What you describe is not a Super Club and lame comparisons are just red herrings.
The JV management is asking us to be members NOW, buy merchandise NOW support the club NOW.
Where is our Super Club? Serious question. Give me a serious answer not a fluffy deflection.
As a fan of the JV I accepted the idea that we would continue on from 1999 and become a powerhouse in the NRL for ever and a day.
I just want what we were promised.
It's not too much to ask.
I’m sorry, I can’t read your mind to see what your expectations of a super club are..

If you’re going to continue carrying on like a pork chop instead of potentially trying to engage in a conversation to help show me your point of view, then we’ll have to call it a day..

Long live St George Illawarra!

Latest posts