What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the Swannies media coverage in Sydney justified?

Is the Swannies current media coverage in Sydney justified?

• Yes

Votes: 83 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 82 45.6%
  • No real opinion

Votes: 15 8.3%

• Total voters

iggy plop

First Grade
ucantseeme said:
i wish i could post the front pages for the Daily Telegraph this week and the ones last week to show the comparison in coverage between afl and NRL grand final week.

i went to the telegraph website but couldnt find any front pages other than todays.

but i know it will show afl getting full page coverage and the tigers getting half a page or less. i know the afl pays the media for the coverage but really this is beyond a joke.

I think it's the NRL's fault that the hype surrounding the G.F is not what it should be. They certainly do it much better down south. Mike Coleman wrote a good article about that issue in the Courier Mail yesterday.

wittyfan

Referee
Front page of today's Telegraph:

0,10114,5054433,00.jpg

ucantseeme

Juniors
You wouldnt even know it was grand final week going by that cover.

How does a wasted bogan & a political has-been take precedence over the NRL GF.

Brutus

Referee
Dutch Oven said:
Hello peoples, it's grand final week and the bloods are in the big one. But what I wanna know is the coverage they are getting in Sydney this week and last in proportion with the support for AFL and the Swans in Sydney. Are the Sydney papers going over the top and neglecting the NRL.

This is not a troll poll, I am genuinely interested and I don't mind rugby league. That's the good thing about Australia you see, we like a lot of footy codes, depsite what some people may say about Melbournians being insular. They would give the Storm fair coverage if they made the grand final I think.

The Swans aren't getting enough coverage according to some silly old South Melbourne bastard.

The Melbourne Storm get heaps more in Melbourne.:lol:

iggy plop

First Grade
0,10114,5054918,00.jpg

And people say the Telegraph favours league because the NRL is half-owned by News LTD. Two days out from a grand final and all they can come up with is a predictable photo of children in the jerseys of the competing teams. League hasn't owned the front page all grand final week.

This is woeful compared to what it used to be. I long for the days when when News LTD didn't own half the game.

wittyfan

Referee
It will be interesting to see tomorrow's front page.

It's almost as if the Telegraph don't want us to get excited about the game.

gaterooze

Bench
It's totally bizarre. The Sans had front page every day in their build-up, even though less people watched their Prelim Final than a regular Friday Night League game.

There must be some money changing hands for this disparity.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
iggy plop said:
0,10114,5054918,00.jpg

And people say the Telegraph favours league because the NRL is half-owned by News LTD. Two days out from a grand final and all they can come up with is a predictable photo of children in the jerseys of the competing teams. League hasn't owned the front page all grand final week.

This is woeful compared to what it used to be. I long for the days when when News LTD didn't own half the game.

But I thought AFL was no threat in Sydney?

Make up your mind iggy slop.

Moving along, the Grand Final shouldn't dominate the front page until the day. So what if NL half owns the game?

News Limited is a f**king news outlet not a sports promotion tool - it would be a travesty for it to take up more than half of the front page on any day during the eek when far more newsworthy events are happening in our world.

Wake up and smell the current affairs morons. Personally, I care a bit more for how my hip pocket is being eaten out of and what can be done about it than a grand final that is three days away. Sport doesn't rule the back page for no reason. For those uninformed listening to the likes of iggy plop's cynicism - there's a 20 page MainGame liftout on the Grand Final (including a "Go Cowboys" poster), and about 5 or 6 pages of coverage inside the sport section, as well as nothing else being on the back page but league. Not to mention the one or two pages devoted each day at the front of the paper with the suburban rivalry story, plus half the front page with the "predictable shot".

There's 2 pages in sport for the Swanlettes, and an 8 page liftout inside MainGame tracking their 2005 fortunes.

So Close to 30 plays around 10. Out of a 120 page paper. Don't let the facts get in the way of a good argument though.

Self-importance is a sign of insecurity you know...

B-dos

Referee
I have to say, i agree with pretty much everything you said there dodge. Good call.

gaterooze

Bench
dodge said:
Moving along, the Grand Final shouldn't dominate the front page until the day.

Then why in the lead-up to the AFL Grand Final every day's front page was about Barry Hall's moronic tribual appeal?

Timmah

Staff member
gaterooze said:
Then why in the lead-up to the AFL Grand Final every day's front page was about Barry Hall's moronic tribual appeal?

The entire front page, every day, all week?

Get a life mate. And try a total response next time, instead of singling out the one area of my argument you think might have a fault.

Timmah

Staff member
A sample. :roll:

Two out of the six days. The NRL Grand Final is on todays front page. It will be tomorrow and definitely will be Sunday - so what's the problem? Read my post again.

Have a nice weekend.

Plonker.

B-dos

Referee
And to be fair, those headlines are referring to an actual story in the Barry Hall incident, not purely the Grand Final itself.

Im sure if Benji Marshall or any other player was in a similar predicament to Hall, then the story would have made front page news.

Green Machine

First Grade
dodge said:
Moving along, the Grand Final shouldn't dominate the front page until the day. So what if NL half owns the game?

News Limited is a f**king news outlet not a sports promotion tool - it would be a travesty for it to take up more than half of the front page on any day during the eek when far more newsworthy events are happening in our world.

Wake up and smell the current affairs morons. Personally, I care a bit more for how my hip pocket is being eaten out of and what can be done about it than a grand final that is three days away.
Oh no it isn’t. News Ltd is a corporation that uses its papers to cross promote certain sports (which it has an interest in), for TV, in particular Pay TV. Creating (or manufacturing) headlines is nothing like reporting newsworthy stories, which would be news to News Ltd's Telegraph,

Green Machine

First Grade
B-dos said:
And to be fair, those headlines are referring to an actual story in the Barry Hall incident, not purely the Grand Final itself.

Im sure if Benji Marshall or any other player was in a similar predicament to Hall, then the story would have made front page news.
I wonder why Pat Richards injury is not on the front of the Telegraph this week?