What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there a more overrated player than..

Tommy Smith

Referee
Fittler is obviously a genius, nothing to do with the players or the timing of having a better squad.

Mal currently does not have a superior roster.
Yep.

Joey & Freddy retire and simultaneously the likes of Smith, Slater, GI, and Cooper hit the scene.

But no, that's all purely coincidental and it's Mal who is da real MVP.

Just in the same way that as soon as all those guys retire and NSW find a great crop of young players; but again, Freddy is the key.

Nothing to do with coming along at just the right time.

Just remember that Freddy dropped Maloney for game I. And was set to drop Klemmer in game III for Daniel freaking Saifiti and Tariq Sims lol

He's no coaching genius. He just doesn't have 3 or 4 Immortals on the other side ready to punish his selection mistakes.

And just on Mal, isn't he the Head of Culture up at the Gold Coast? How's that panning out.

If only Smith, Slater and Cronk joined the club at 21 he'd look like a genius again.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Meh Lockyer >>> Cronk.

The first five years could not make the run on side.

Still so awesome and such a winner.

I take Lockyer everyday.

Smith too, merkin has such influence.

But Mal, all about him, poor keevie.

Gets, Hunt, Evans etc.

wibble

Bench
It’s embarrassing that Mal “RL has given me nothing” Meninga is an immortal. He was barely tested best centre of his generation let alone the best player. He’s like the turd that won’t flush just sucking on the teat of TGG.

I don't want to hack on Mal too much, I always loved watching him play.

But he is surely as over rated as anyone, being an immortal of the game.

There were about half a dozen better players in his own team (which was, admittedly, one of the great teams we have seen).

Judging Origin wins, in a two team, best of 3 format, when you have the most talented and coachable players in the game, is a bit of a moot exercise. If Meninga can coach a club side to something like the success Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson have shown then he can be considered a great coach.

So I rate him: a fine centre and captain. Who coached a poor club side, and a stunning Origin side. If that is all it takes to be an immortal, Jarrod Croker should start prepping his coaching credentials....

gerg

Juniors
I don't want to hack on Mal too much, I always loved watching him play.

But he is surely as over rated as anyone, being an immortal of the game.

There were about half a dozen better players in his own team (which was, admittedly, one of the great teams we have seen).

Judging Origin wins, in a two team, best of 3 format, when you have the most talented and coachable players in the game, is a bit of a moot exercise. If Meninga can coach a club side to something like the success Bellamy, Bennett or Robinson have shown then he can be considered a great coach.

So I rate him: a fine centre and captain. Who coached a poor club side, and a stunning Origin side. If that is all it takes to be an immortal, Jarrod Croker should start prepping his coaching credentials....

You comparing Mal to Jarrod as far as playing ability?

Hutty1986

Immortal
This is just glib, thoughtless false equivalence. In other words pulled out of your arsehole.

Australian cricket was not at a completely low ebb when Buchanan came along. Meninga is largely responsible for bringing a culture of accountability and excellence to Queensland Origin. It turned around more than a decade of poor to middling results.

You thick roaches can't have it both ways. He can't be responsible for Australia's loss last night, and yet have had no influence on Queensland success.
Lol. Either that qlderp rubbish...or he happened to have a stacked side and coached against the Blues throughout probably their lowest, weakest era in Origin history...they didnt have a halfback ffs

adamkungl

Immortal
Cherry Evans is racking up some mighty fine achievements

Lost a GF to Mitchell Pearce
Lost an Origin series to Mitchell Pearce
Lost a Test match to a tier 2 nation

King hit

Coach
Tedesco is overrated.

He's a good, fast ball hog who can't pass.

giphy.gif

Zadar

Juniors
Foran, the gift that just keeps on giving, out for at least 6months with a shoulder injury.