What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there such a thing as bad publicity?

FamilyFirst

Juniors
Just you and some bitter Parra/merge fans

I am surprised by your position Adam. The only premiership Easts have won since 75 was tainted by a salary cap breach by the bulldogs. It is not and never will be a real premiership!

Easts have tried to buy a premiership my entire lifetime and they managed it via salary cap breach.

I am not anti Easts by any stretch but they have been spectacularly unsuccessful at buying premierships! If you had an ounce of sense you would be outraged by the storm. They have inadvertently made a mockery of 2002.

FF

bobmar28

Bench
The problem is that everyone reading it is having a good laugh at the Storm and waiting for their demise.

Perth, this is your dream come true. Melbourne should be stuffed! They are a laughing stock (have made RL a laughing stock) and if News has any sense they will pull out of Melbourne, possibly making way for Perth. Personally, I think News is dumb enough to continue to sink good money after bad into the Storm under the illusion that everyone else is stupid enough to think the NRL is a national competition. After all, Straya did have the benson and hedges word series for however long!

The imminent death of the storm could be WA rugby leagues saviour!

FF

You can't seriously be suggesting we pull out of Melbourne, Australias second largest city.

adamkungl

Immortal
I am surprised by your position Adam. The only premiership Easts have won since 75 was tainted by a salary cap breach by the bulldogs. It is not and never will be a real premiership!

Easts have tried to buy a premiership my entire lifetime and they managed it via salary cap breach.

I am not anti Easts by any stretch but they have been spectacularly unsuccessful at buying premierships! If you had an ounce of sense you would be outraged by the storm. They have inadvertently made a mockery of 2002.

FF

:lol: taint shmaint. The best team that wasn't cheating won in 02. The only taint is on 04.

As for outrage, it is a massive slap in the face for all NRL fans, but its not like my team had any hope of winning in the years the Storm cheated. I feel sorry for their fans and I'm worried for the future of the club.

Mader45

Juniors
I've seen a lot of points raised about how this is dreadful for the game. Has anyone raised the point about bandwagon supporters? Considering Melbourne were the most successful team of the last 4 years any newish supporters would generally go for them, like they do in most codes, before establishing their allegiance to local teams or becoming hard core Melbourne supporters for life. NRL might have just thrown away thousands of newly energized league supporters to other codes through this. Considering the difference a lifetime supporter will make to a game....how many other codes would be stupid enough to lose 4 years of new fans to a new team for their game.

Bad publicity? The NRL isn't a celebrity read about in gossip magazines by housewives. What about 'is there such a thing as bad business moves'?

Of course there is such a thing as bad publicity, which is why there is whole industry dedicated to preserving images. I get what you're saying, and in some cases any publicity, including bad, is welcome. This is not one of them. Perhaps most importantly, sponsors have abandoned the Storm, and the sheer magnitude of this story probably won't be inviting any new sponsors any time soon. For Melbourne as a club, there is absolutely such a thing as bad publicity.

Watching soccer that must be bad publicity for victory (bunch of androtops)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well, if Melbourne end up folding, then yes, there is such a thing as bad publicity. But nothing brings people together like adversity. Lets see how it effects Melbourne.

mightybears

Bench
yes and no re TEAM sports

Sex & drugs, to some extent yes-violence esp against women-rape, misogyny definitely yes because mum and dad don't want the kids playing or watching, and therefore the sponsors wander too.

but financial scandal like this, no because it doesn't strike at the heart of why people turn off.