What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this the best team in league?

gong_eagle

First Grade
Is this the best team in league?

Andrew Stevenson | September 15, 2007

THE ISLANDERS A

The concept has been talked about for a long time, but now we can finally present the Islanders team. No longer can the players who trace their roots to the islands of the South Pacific be considered the emerging force in rugby league - in many positions across the park they are already the best in the game.To emphasise the point, the Herald picked a nominal Polynesian team (Fiji is part of Melanesia, hence no Petero Civoniceva) based on current NRL form. Think of the players who get you out of your chair - most of them are here.

to read the rest http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/polynesian-mania/2007/09/14/1189276986330.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

THE TEAM
1 Jarryd Hayne (Parramatta)
2 Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers)
3 Israel Folau (Melbourne)
4 Timana Tahu (Parramatta)
5 Krisnan Inu (Parramatta)
6 Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
7 Karmichael Hunt (Brisbane)
8 Roy Asotasi (South Sydney)
9 David Faiumu (Cowboys)
10 Brent Kite (Manly)
11 Willie Mason (Bulldogs)
12 Sonny Bill Williams (B'dogs)
13 Feleti Mateo (Parramatta)
Bench:
14 Ruben Wiki (Warriors)
15 Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta)
16 Rangi Chase (Dragons)
17 Jeremy Smith (Melbourne)
http://leaguehq.com.au

miccle

Bench
Two halves named on the bench and they put a fullback into the #7 jersey. :lol: @ Melbourne "league" coverage.

Dutchy

Immortal
miccle said:
Two halves named on the bench and they put a fullback into the #7 jersey. :lol: @ Melbourne "league" coverage.

Only 1 half on that bench... That is Jeremy Smith from Melbourne not Souths.

Nook

Bench
Poor article.

Some of those blokes aren't even Polynesians (as far as I know, could be weong)

Marshall is Maori
Tahu is Aboriginal and Maori
Hayne is part Fijian

badav

Bench
Its not the best team in the league. Because if you put a team of white boys or non polynesians up against them it would probably be better, purely on the fact that they would have atleast 3 good halfbacks to choose from. Whereas the polynesian team is clearly struggling in that area.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Bobby DIGital said:
^ It's debatable. No one quite knows where Hawaiki is.
Maori are 100% certainly polynesian. While the exactly location of Hawaiki isn't certain, I have never seen any serious assertion that it was not somewhere deep withing the polynesian triangle, with the likely hood being somewhere around the Cook Islands or further east in french polynesia. Genetics pretty much prove it beyond all doubt too, Maori simply aren't melanesian or micronesian, they bear no physical or genetic resemblance to either group.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Wheeled Warrior said:
I thought Fiji is part of the pacific islands as well lol, well you learn something every day

Its part of the pacific islands, but not part of Polynesia as Fijians are Melanesians, meaning they're more closely related to Solomon Islanders and Papuans than they are to Tongans, Samoans or Maori ((all of whom are polynesian)

Phantom Poster

Juniors
SpaceMonkey said:
Maori are 100% certainly polynesian. While the exactly location of Hawaiki isn't certain, I have never seen any serious assertion that it was not somewhere deep withing the polynesian triangle, with the likely hood being somewhere around the Cook Islands or further east in french polynesia. Genetics pretty much prove it beyond all doubt too, Maori simply aren't melanesian or micronesian, they bear no physical or genetic resemblance to either group.

You're probably right, and I also think it's the case. However until someone can navigate back to Hawaiki and find it physically, (and we get it put on the world map) then it will always be up for debate.

I read somewhere that Hawaiki is actually in NZ! I also heard from someone that Maori's decended from native americans, like they were some lost tribe or something. Pretty far fetched, but there are other theories out there. Would be awesome if it could be tracked down, I'd certainly visit the place. However I highly doubt that will ever happen.

hutch

First Grade
Nook said:
Poor article.

Marshall is Maori
Hayne is part Fijian

and some are half poly! mason, kite, mateo, sbw.

hutch

First Grade
Nook said:
Poor article.

Marshall is Maori
Hayne is part Fijian

double post

Hari Kari

Juniors
Phantom Poster said:
I read somewhere that Hawaiki is actually in NZ! I also heard from someone that Maori's decended from native americans, like they were some lost tribe or something. Pretty far fetched, but there are other theories out there. Would be awesome if it could be tracked down, I'd certainly visit the place. However I highly doubt that will ever happen.

Maybe, maybe not, but it's believable.

They look like a lot like Hawaiians to me.

Latest posts