What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this the worst suspension of all-time?

Perce

Juniors
You dont touch the ref...

Its that simple and theres no grey area. It doesnt matter if it was a joke or whatever, you cant set a presedent that allows anything like that to be argued as ok.

Exactly right. Don't touch the ref, don't have carry-overs and you won't get the suspension.

The Hodges ruling - don't miss a match whether you plead guilty or not after smashing a forearm into a bloke's face - was a joke, but just because that call was wrong doesn't mean the Moa one is incorrect.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Other players get suspended for it with no aggressive intent so this dill should too.

Uncle Nick's brown bags don't extend as far as the match review committee so he'll just have to wear it.

Danish

Referee
So Stranger from the Dragons touches the ref in the exact same manner that Moa did in the very next round after Moa being cited and suspended..... no charge.

It would be laughable if it weren't so predictable.

ek999

First Grade
Do you have video of it?

Also Ennis got charged (but no suspension because he didn't have any carry over points or loading like Moa) for tapping the ref on the shoulder to get his attention. So if L'estrange will be the exception to the rule not Moa

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Its mentioned in articles as having been reviewed by the MRC:

When it was pointed out L’Estrange had touched a match official on Monday night, Moa said: “I was told Heath touched the ref and nothing came out of that, so it’s a bit disappointing.”
Asked about the L’Estrange incident last night, the NRL said the wording of the rule left the discretion in the hands of the match review committee. In the case of L’Estrange, the committee felt the contact was only minor.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sub...tory-fnca0von-1227415214802&memtype=anonymous

So apparently the black and white "You simply cannot touch the referee" stance they took against Moa turned into a discretionary decision in a few days

Tommy Smith

Referee
Sydney Roosters prop Sam Moa felt hard done by when he was suspended for touching referee Gavin Reynolds. His sense of injustice only grew when he heard that St George Illawarra hooker Heath L’Estrange did the same thing last Monday and escaped censure.

“I was in violation of the rules and I will cop it on the chin,” Moa said. “But I was a bit disappointed it got cited in the first place. I am aware Gavin Reynolds was quoted saying he didn’t think anything of it.

“He didn’t feel intimidated at all by it. It is done now. I got a fair hearing. Just disappointed it even got cited. I think everyone who knows me knows there wasn’t any intent in the action.

“It was more of a natural reaction — I am familiar with the ref, I have met him a few times. I felt like I know him. I think they just want to send a message out there.
“It’s just disappointing I got charged.”

Reynolds has been a regular visitor to Roosters training in recent years, in the process building up a relationship with Moa.

“Gavin has been to a few of our training sessions throughout the year,” Moa said.
“I have had a running joke with him. There wasn’t any aggression in what I was saying to him or the way I approached him. I think they just wanted to make it clear you can’t have any contact with the ref.

“I just hope they’re consistent with that throughout the year.”

When it was pointed out L’Estrange had touched a match official on Monday night, Moa said: “I was told Heath touched the ref and nothing came out of that, so it’s a bit disappointing.”

Asked about the L’Estrange incident last night, the NRL said the wording of the rule left the discretion in the hands of the match review committee. In the case of L’Estrange, the committee felt the contact was only minor.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/sydney-roosters/roosters-prop-sam-moa-upset-at-inconsistencies-over-ref-contact-20150625-ghxwa2

ek999

First Grade
Without seeing it, it is hard to make any judgement on it. But Michael Buettner who is head of the MRC said there have been something like 5 players cited for 3 suspensions since the start of last year so Moa isn't the first to cop it and won't be the last

Pierced Soul

First Grade
So apparently the black and white "You simply cannot touch the referee" stance they took against Moa turned into a discretionary decision in a few days

come on Danish, you've been following the game long enough to know that the only consistency is inconsistency. i've seen other players touch the ref in the past 12 months without charge as well. i cant view the moa one at work so i dont know if it was much of anything but the whole MRC/Judiciary is a f**king lottery. i still dont know how reynolds keeps getting slaps on the wrist for tripping

betcats

Referee
MRC is a joke, we have known that for a long time. Its like they decide who to charge and what grading completely at random.

Tommy Smith

Referee
So what you're saying is the judiciary have it in for the Roosters?
Nope. They're just woefully incompetent and inconsistent.

The only people that get a free ride with the judicairy are the QLD goldenboys of Slater, Johnathan Tripper and Smith. And of course Josh Reynolds who only copped 1-2 weeks for the worst trip I've ever seen last year on Ben Barba.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Buettner "players need to understand that they are not to touch the referee and if they do so they will be charged accordingly"

Unless of course you just decide not to charge players for that exact scenario whenever you feel like it, including a mere week after the Moa incident. Pathetic.

gUt

Coach
I thought this was going to be about Jackson's spear tackle being downgraded

Danish

Referee
come on Danish, you've been following the game long enough to know that the only consistency is inconsistency. i've seen other players touch the ref in the past 12 months without charge as well. i cant view the moa one at work so i dont know if it was much of anything but the whole MRC/Judiciary is a f**king lottery. i still dont know how reynolds keeps getting slaps on the wrist for tripping

They are actually tremendously predictable.

NSW or QLD anywhere near origin = 0-1 weeks, no matter what

Thurston, Slater, Smith at any time of the year = no charges, or if charged never to miss a week

Kiwi player = throw the f**king book at the scum

Anything else = swallow some dice, shit them out, and whatever they land on is the charge

God-King Dean

Immortal
f6aee4ac-3c70-11e3-b283-dd988051129c_MK3_9604--646x363.jpg

firechild

First Grade
Tommy, still no comment on Matai's suspension earlier this year for exactly the same thing as Moa? You're a grade A whinger.

Latest posts