What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this the worst suspension of all-time?

Danish

Referee
You should be upset that he got himself charged in the past then.

When do refs touch players?

608776-matt-cecchin-nrl-referee.jpg

The Rosco

Bench
Come on take off your Rooster hating glassses for a minute.. Yes you shouldn't touch a ref but this is ridiculous, how can Moa get suspended while Justin hodges,swinging arm to the head of Hoffman, is let off? And I agree Paulo did not deserve 8 weeks. There is no consistency in any rulings

. . . So you agree that the rule says you can't touch the ref.
Your player touches the ref, breaking the rule.
You suggest it is ridiculous to suspend your player for breaking the rule.
And then you plead for consistency.
:lol:

The Rosco

Bench
He is missing a week. That's the bullshit of it.

And if they want to enforce a strict no touching rule with the refs, they had better instruct refs to stop f**king touching players like they do every bloody game. Can't have it both ways

Well unless there is another rule that says a ref can't touch a player, then sorry but yes they can have it both ways.

Surely he knew the rule.

Lambretta

First Grade
Last edited:
You can't touch a ref!

That said, given the context, missing a week is sufficient or, might even be a bit harsh.

The issue here is the ambiguity of the "contray conduct" charge. The judiciary is afforded too much discretionary power.

There needs to be clear cut rules for this sort of thing although, I'm not sure that it will happen very many more times. After this intance and others, meaningful discussion on the topic probably means that it will now be in the forefront of the player's minds.

eozsmiles

Bench
When Hodges can give a good old fashioned stiff arm straight to the head of a player and not miss a week, then this is pretty laughable

That was origin. It's different rules. Remember when O'Donnell got 3 weeks for trying to kill Darius? Or when JT got nothing for kicking Wolfman in the Face?

Origin. The games jewel.

firechild

First Grade
Or Steve Matai in Round 8 this year ?

Roosters fans seem to have conveniently missed this post. Moa's punishment was fair as far as consistency but they'll continue to whinge as loud as they have done for the past few years.

_Johnsy

Referee
Were these Roosters fans outraged when Sam Thaiday missed a week for the exact same thing last year ?

& will the same Bronco fans voice their outrage at the same suspension that has now been given to Moa?

RWB

Bench
Last week it was Mitchell Moses swearing, this week it's Sam Moa having a laugh with the ref.

Remember when the game didn't take itself too seriously? When we weren't so preoccupied with political correctness?

In the quest for sporting supremacy in Australia we've lost track of what our game is all about. Whether he broke a rule or not is not the question that needs to be asked, the question that needs to be asked was is there any harm in what he did. That's what the Match Review Committee is there for.

I know people struggle to empathise because it's the Roosters but geez if our game isn't slowly deteriorating into an over-governed, over-policed ball of frustration I don't know what people are watching every week. The love is still real for our great game and the new Administration have done a great job at the governing level, better than great, superb job. But our game has suffered in the last few years and there's no doubt in my mind that they wont continue to stop sanitising it to the point where ridiculous rulings like this become a weekly occurrence and then people might finally start to care.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Come on take off your Rooster hating glassses for a minute.. Yes you shouldn't touch a ref but this is ridiculous, how can Moa get suspended while Justin hodges,swinging arm to the head of Hoffman, is let off? And I agree Paulo did not deserve 8 weeks. There is no consistency in any rulings

You dont touch the ref...

Its that simple and theres no grey area. It doesnt matter if it was a joke or whatever, you cant set a presedent that allows anything like that to be argued as ok.

Does anyone know if the match review committee picked up the incident themselves or was there a formal complaint made by the ref? Fair enough, you can't touch the refs but there was nothing remotely aggressive in the incident.

Latest posts