What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this what it has come down to?

seaeagle sam

http://www.news.com.au/national/bob...nior-league-refs/story-e6frfkvr-1225884030935

Bodyguards to protect junior league refs
PART-TIME "bodyguards" and undercover cameramen will be deployed to junior rugby league matches to protect referees.
The radical move comes as it can be revealed dozens of teenage footy players are being sent off across NSW every weekend for abusing referees and fighting.
Junior clubs are introducing extreme measures to curb the violence, including "naughty chairs" for coaches.
Other techniques include "silent Saturdays", where parents will be ejected if they cheer too loudly, and crowd controllers to protect referees.
Senior rugby league officials held a crisis meeting at Homebush, in Sydney, yesterday morning to discuss stricter disciplinary action against individual players and the possibility of stripping teams of points.
The drastic action comes after seven referees were assaulted in a nine-week period in Sydney's Parramatta junior rugby league district.
Figures obtained from rugby league bosses revealed an average 13 junior players were sent off every weekend in the Penrith, Cronulla and Parramatta districts.
Penrith Panthers chairman and junior judiciary boss Don Feltis said under a proposed scheme, players who abused refs faced six-game bans and teams would lose a minimum of three competition points.
"It's a matter of making sure we put in as many deterrents as possible," Mr Feltis, who chaired yesterday's crisis meeting, said.
He said parents and relatives had become triggers for violent brawls.
"We have to identify these troublemakers and keep them away," he said.
In other measures, if teams in Balmain don't have a crowd controller from Under-6's to A-grade, referees will cancel games. St George, Balmain and Canterbury-Bankstown districts have also implemented a coach's chair and soccer-style box to stop managers inciting players.
Parramatta junior rugby league boss Terry Rose said they had hired a covert cameraman to film games, involving "troublemaking" teams.
After a series of run-ins with referees and a giant brawl earlier this month, the Under 17 Cabramatta division two team was this week banned from competition.
The team had been placed under camera surveillance.

Crowd control for under 6 games. Have people become too sensitive or are players and their supporters i.e parents, becoming bigger trouble makers?

Johns Magic

Referee
The radical move comes as it can be revealed dozens of teenage footy players are being sent off across NSW every weekend for abusing referees and fighting.

Something so full of wank that only the Telegraph could have written it.

Thanks for "revealing" that to us Daily Telegraph. I'm so glad we have you to give us the inside mail on all things rugby league, no one could possibly have known that without you. I've read Mintie wrappers more informative than that.

I'm surprised they didn't write "Daily Telegraph Exclusive" before it.

Brutus

Referee
Something so full of wank that only the Telegraph could have written it.

Thanks for "revealing" that to us Daily Telegraph. I'm so glad we have you to give us the inside mail on all things rugby league, no one could possibly have known that without you. I've read Mintie wrappers more informative than that.

I'm surprised they didn't write "Daily Telegraph Exclusive" before it.

Yep, they're a joke. I'm surprised Danny "I can reveal" Weidler has never worked for them before. He'd be perfect.

Perth Red

Post Whore
abusing refs is not on, but sending off for fighting is hardly a new thing to a high contact male sport!

fourplay

Juniors
To be fair Danny Weidler has actually been pretty good the last few years.

Throughout all the scandals he has provided more of a balanced opinion typical of the SMH.

Scorpio30

Bench
Rugby league referees need lesson in culture

By Geoff Chambers From: The Daily Telegraph June 25, 2010 4:51PM

RUGBY league referees should take compulsory culture lessons to learn how to deal with Polynesian and Lebanese footy players.

Pacific islanders have been blamed by some refs for an increase in junior footy violence.

But Sydney Samoan Council representative Richard David, a former Western Suburbs district player, said caucasian referees did not know how to handle other cultural groups.

"When they walk out on to the pitch some of them don't realise that comments they make to the players could be hurtful to them," Mr David said.

"They also don't realise some of the islander boys don't have respect for them from kick-off and that sometimes manifests in violence."

Mr David said it was difficult for some islanders to control their emotions: "The Polynesian instinct is very different to a European's. Our nature is not to speak and talk through our feelings, it's about the physical emotion and sometimes that can manifest in different ways.

"I think it's unfair to pinpoint the Pacific Islander community but I admit there is a problem when it comes to communication."

Parramatta Referees Association president and NRL referee Alan Shortall said he was holding talks with Parramatta district junior rugby league president Terry Rose and Parramatta seniors boss Paul Osborne after previously threatening strike action.

"Our members have been the victims of a number of serious and unsavoury incidents," he said.

s"Any incident that impacts on the recruitment will place in jeopardy the ability to provide competent and confident referees whose aim is to ensure the safe participation for all concerned."

Mr Shortall said he was hopeful that the ARL and Parramatta district would implement fresh measures to limit the number of assaults on his referees.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...esson-in-culture/story-e6freuy9-1225884409255

It would be too much to ask the Polynesian and Lebanese footy players to get a culture lesson wouldnt it.

innsaneink

Referee
Balmain recently banned a player for 50 years

Balmain’s Behaviour Management Tribunal has issued a 50 year ban to a player who assaulted a referee at Airey Park on 9th May. The player comes from Canterbury Bankstown and Canterbury Bankstown has confirmed they have withdrawn that player’s registration and support our District’s stance in handing down such a strong penalty. Balmain and our Combined Partners, Canterbury Bankstown, South Sydney and St George will continue to work tirelessly to ensure the safety of ALL of our officials and create an atmosphere of enjoyment for players’ spectators and the officials without the tensions created by people who just can’t watch a game without being critical and out of control.

Last Modified on 25/06/2010 12:21

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_i...ask=DETAIL&articleID=12483932&sectionID=22030

elie76

Juniors
My son plays in penrith comp junior league and this note did go out to all club managers etc... I was told today by the team manager not to cheer to loudly (all of us were..I actually sound like a 10 year old when yelling) but we were so annoyed by this...not to cheer loudly at a game where our kids are playing??

That is insane!! We only ever cheer for our team...dont yell out anything negative about the other team or the ref (thats all said under the breath) but we want to cheer loudly for our boys. At the game today we did notice a Penrith official sitting close by watching the entire game and he did keep looking at us..so I guess if our team is named as "trouble makers" for yelling to loud... we will know why!

I mean Silent Saturday?? really ... its all about cheering them on and having fun! Soon it will be like ballet classes where u have to drop them off and come back after it is over..if that happens we are moving to another sport!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...arged-with-lying/story-e6freuy9-1225885452300

Teenage woman referee who claimed assault at Cabramatta charged with lying

* June 29, 2010 3:08AM

A WOMAN who said she was assaulted whilst refereeing an under 9s football match has been charged with lying.

Police from the Cabramatta local area command charged the 19-year-old woman with knowingly making a false statement, NSW Police Force said in a statement at 2.55am.

The woman, aged 19, was refereeing an under 9’s football game in Cabramatta on Saturday, June 19, when she claimed to have been struck on the back of the head by a trainer assisting the Mounties' under 9's team.

Detectives obtained a statement from the woman and conducted a full investigation.

The woman went to Cabramatta police station about 5pm yesterday where she was interviewed by detectives.

She was later charged with knowingly make a false statement, and false representation resulting in a police investigation.

She was given bail and will appear in Liverpool Local Court on 16 July.

simostorm

Bench
My son plays in penrith comp junior league and this note did go out to all club managers etc... I was told today by the team manager not to cheer to loudly (all of us were..I actually sound like a 10 year old when yelling) but we were so annoyed by this...not to cheer loudly at a game where our kids are playing??

That is insane!! We only ever cheer for our team...dont yell out anything negative about the other team or the ref (thats all said under the breath) but we want to cheer loudly for our boys. At the game today we did notice a Penrith official sitting close by watching the entire game and he did keep looking at us..so I guess if our team is named as "trouble makers" for yelling to loud... we will know why!

I mean Silent Saturday?? really ... its all about cheering them on and having fun! Soon it will be like ballet classes where u have to drop them off and come back after it is over..if that happens we are moving to another sport!

Ellie, you are the mother of the boy from the indcident at Parramatta.

How did it all end up? You have any more dealings from either club since then?

ratsack2

Juniors
well I am not surprised, all these kids are doing is emulating one Johnathin Thurston, they see the NRL stars getting away with it and they try it on a weekend themselves.
I think the NRL has a lot to answer for, I also expect the number of head butt incidents to increase as well

Lego_Man

First Grade
Rugby league referees need lesson in culture

By Geoff Chambers From: The Daily Telegraph June 25, 2010 4:51PM

RUGBY league referees should take compulsory culture lessons to learn how to deal with Polynesian and Lebanese footy players.

Pacific islanders have been blamed by some refs for an increase in junior footy violence.

But Sydney Samoan Council representative Richard David, a former Western Suburbs district player, said caucasian referees did not know how to handle other cultural groups.

"When they walk out on to the pitch some of them don't realise that comments they make to the players could be hurtful to them," Mr David said.

"They also don't realise some of the islander boys don't have respect for them from kick-off and that sometimes manifests in violence."

Mr David said it was difficult for some islanders to control their emotions: "The Polynesian instinct is very different to a European's. Our nature is not to speak and talk through our feelings, it's about the physical emotion and sometimes that can manifest in different ways.

"I think it's unfair to pinpoint the Pacific Islander community but I admit there is a problem when it comes to communication."

Parramatta Referees Association president and NRL referee Alan Shortall said he was holding talks with Parramatta district junior rugby league president Terry Rose and Parramatta seniors boss Paul Osborne after previously threatening strike action.

"Our members have been the victims of a number of serious and unsavoury incidents," he said.

s"Any incident that impacts on the recruitment will place in jeopardy the ability to provide competent and confident referees whose aim is to ensure the safe participation for all concerned."

Mr Shortall said he was hopeful that the ARL and Parramatta district would implement fresh measures to limit the number of assaults on his referees.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...esson-in-culture/story-e6freuy9-1225884409255

So straight from the horses mouth, we have a Polynesian saying that his race are violent and irrational?