What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this worth it?

butchmcdick

Post Whore
I'd suggest this will prove to be the best WC ever.

Biggest Profit, Biggest crowds, Most even groupings etc

Lets face it what other RL tournament will ever be beamed to 125 countries?

Yeah I can see kiddies in bhutan and sri lanka grabbing the pigskin and really getting into league. When they look back on it they will all say that those tv broadcasts were the seed from which league sprang up from.

It's going to take more than tv broadcasts to make this a success.

bowes

Juniors
Hype & spin aside - how many teams do you really think can win a soccer world cup? There are an elite few at the top - that's what makes them elite.
Loads have the potential, just some are more likely to than others. While it's not the world cup Greece's win in the European Championship is a shock about far greater than anything RL could produce (or RU for that matter), given that they'd only qualified for two major tournaments before and lost every game at both

roopy

Referee
The point is, our format allows teams a chance to win the comp if they are good enough - for instance, if Ireland had found some way to turn out a team good enough to win the comp, they would win - but it is also the best way to make sure we don't have games that are complete rubbish.
I think the format could have been better if the winners of both pools got a game against the teams that came third and fourth in the super pool (as suggested last year on this forum) - in practice that would mean an extra week would be needed though - and next week we would be looking at fiji v PNG and Ireland V England for semi spots.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
The point is, our format allows teams a chance to win the comp if they are good enough - for instance, if Ireland had found some way to turn out a team good enough to win the comp, they would win - but it is also the best way to make sure we don't have games that are complete rubbish.
I think the format could have been better if the winners of both pools got a game against the teams that came third and fourth in the super pool (as suggested last year on this forum) - in practice that would mean an extra week would be needed though - and next week we would be looking at fiji v PNG and Ireland V England for semi spots.

Isn't it unfair though that england have lost twice yet they are in the semis but other teams have lost only once and are out of the tournament ?

bowes

Juniors
So you're honestly telling me that matches between the top teams and those ranked 6th to 9th would be complete rubbish, but matches between the top 3 and the 10th and worst team at the world cup are considered by many as a good idea for the 4 Nations and would be good matches?

If teams are considered complete rubbish then why are they in the world cup? If that is really the way they're treated it's unsurprising if they turn to RU where they're more likely to be welcomed. Though I think any team from 4th down to 12th should be able to beat any top team in a normal world cup group easily without any scores larger than you get in SL league matches, and noone wants a Super pool for that in fact we just expanded it

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
So you're honestly telling me that matches between the top teams and those ranked 6th to 9th would be complete rubbish, but matches between the top 3 and the 10th and worst team at the world cup are considered by many as a good idea for the 4 Nations and would be good matches?
I don't think i mentioned the quad nations.

If I had i would have repeated what i've been saying for 8 years, and that is that a combined PI team is what is needed to compete with the top 3 - at least for the next few years.