What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Widdop injured still? Or just tentative?

Dean Young and Hornby are and have always been part of the problem. I say sign a real coach and if we need an interim coach go for an outsider for the remainder of the season.
Blind leading the blind.
It's like in breeding.
Who is mentoring them...McGregor?
Really stupid set up.

possm

Coach
I had great hopes that the spine of Widdop, Norman, Hunt and McInnes would be a very exciting one. Unfortunately the experiment of selecting Widdop at fullback has not delivered to expectation however, I am pleased with Norman's progress to date.

In addition, the addition of Robson to the bench utility spot 14 would add some much needed rest for McInnes and also be a good backup for backrow positions.

I'd say, that we do not have a suitable solution for fullback and so this now can be confirmed by selecting Dufty and letting Widdop go - if he so desires. In my opinion it is clear that we do not have the talent in our outside backs and our backrow options to win the competition this year.

So what should we do?
Sack Mary and replace him with a first rate coach.
Let Widdop go if a suitable financial arrangement can be struck.
Select Dufty at fullback and let him prove he can do the complete job.
Select Pearson to the right wing spot.
Drop Aitken and select Lomax to the right centre spot.
Select Hunt and Norman as our halves and give them some plays that actually can make a difference.
Select T Sims, K Sims and Host as our edge forwards.
Select Lawrie as our lock forward
Select Vaughan, Graham, Kerr and Timm in our prop rotation.
Select McInnes and Robson in our hooker/lock rotatation.

Stick with the above 17 for at least 3 weeks to let them click.

Train Aitken as a backrow forward and if unsuitable for that role, let him go.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
All of the above - Possm

On Widdup - Shoulder or St. George - You can't have both.
He threw 1 too many hospital passes last night.
Kicked far too often (all the time)
Field play gone. Can't tackle. Can't run the ball.
A complete liability
Off you go - My tribe has spoken.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Gareth Widdop was signed and then extended on significant salary cap dollars as a half. Once he said he wanted out he should have been cut with a transfer fee negotiated with Warrington. Now we are bending over backwards trying to work a solution to incorporate various elements. Now given that the coach probably doesn't even get his pants off to take a dump; don't ask him to sort out the mess. So here's how it should go:

The best fullback in the club plays #1.
The best five-eight in the club plays #6.
The best hooker in the club plays #9.

I think we get the selection pattern from here don't we?

Inevitably that means that Widdop or Norman plays ISP. You do not waste a bench spot on a 80 kg fullback ESPECIALLY against monster packs like the Cowboys and Rabbits. Why do I have point this out?

The mess we are in is of our own making. Once Widdop cried poor; he should have been sent packing and not made captain again! The bloke is not going to fulfil his contractual obligations. For goodness sake, how hard is it?

A silver lining you ask? I know I am a broken record but the only way McGregor is sent packing is via us having a nightmare of a season. The next thing I am about to write should see me smacked around by my fellow Dragons tragics on this forum; and it is a beating I am willing to take. Here goes (helmet on and ducking the incoming grenades). I was happy we lost on Saturday and I want us to keep losing until the BOD moves this idiot on. Simple as that. Unless we catastrophically fail; this goose remains.
This Again. This Again. This Again....and now hopefully someone other than the good folk on this forum is listening.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
I had great hopes that the spine of Widdop, Norman, Hunt and McInnes would be a very exciting one. Unfortunately the experiment of selecting Widdop at fullback has not delivered to expectation however, I am pleased with Norman's progress to date.

In addition, the addition of Robson to the bench utility spot 14 would add some much needed rest for McInnes and also be a good backup for backrow positions.

I'd say, that we do not have a suitable solution for fullback and so this now can be confirmed by selecting Dufty and letting Widdop go - if he so desires. In my opinion it is clear that we do not have the talent in our outside backs and our backrow options to win the competition this year.

So what should we do?
Sack Mary and replace him with a first rate coach.
Let Widdop go if a suitable financial arrangement can be struck.
Select Dufty at fullback and let him prove he can do the complete job.
Select Pearson to the right wing spot.
Drop Aitken and select Lomax to the right centre spot.
Select Hunt and Norman as our halves and give them some plays that actually can make a difference.
Select T Sims, K Sims and Host as our edge forwards.
Select Lawrie as our lock forward
Select Vaughan, Graham, Kerr and Timm in our prop rotation.
Select McInnes and Robson in our hooker/lock rotatation.

Stick with the above 17 for at least 3 weeks to let them click.

Train Aitken as a backrow forward and if unsuitable for that role, let him go.
Possm, agree with most of your comments. I am with you that Widdop should be let go. Agree that Dufty and Norman should be #1 and #6. Quite like your prop rotation. Agree your comments about the outside backs. Not sure about Host yet. Really dislike the McInnes to lock strategy. Hated watching the poor bugger have to play lock and take the ball up into the monster Rabbits forwards late in the game. Don't like the Robson to the bench strategy. Play the best hooker. Also agree with you about Norman. He is silky with the ball in hand and creates good options. Really need Lomax and Pearson in the side. Not sure the Fijian boy on the wing is of 1st grade quality. Finally, Pereria isn't the worlds best winger, but he has that Nightingale quality of being able to find the line and his efforts to bring the ball out are commendable.