What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iSelect Gold Coast Titans granted new license

BunniesMan

Immortal
Thank god we have Rothfi- sorry BunniesMan posting on here to keep us all up to date.
Instead of responding like a wanker how about you actually criticize something in the article specifically because that would be a lot more productive.

A lot of what the DT writes is rubbish. But occassionally they produce actual quotes from people that give their names, they confirm police investigations and talk about something that isn't cooked up in Rothfields head.

This seems to be one of those.

Try using some critical analysis instead of acting like an idiot.

beave

Coach
Instead of responding like a wanker how about you actually criticize something in the article specifically because that would be a lot more productive.

A lot of what the DT writes is rubbish. But occassionally they produce actual quotes from people that give their names, they confirm police investigations and talk about something that isn't cooked up in Rothfields head.

This seems to be one of those.

Try using some critical analysis instead of acting like an idiot.

Oh no you diiiiiiidnnnnt!!!!!!!!

El Diablo

Post Whore
wouldn't believe the DT

they had quotes last year when accusing them of cheating

it all ended up being bullshit

Canard

Immortal
Either the guy is lying or the Titans are just very very stupid, in this day and age of private building certification, its a piece of piss to get someone to certify something. (Basically pony up some $$ and it will be rubber stamped)

Some of the dodgy stuff Ive seen, I can believe got certified.

applesauce

Bench
The irony about that story is in a tiny column next to it in today Sunday Mail, the bloke who is trying to buy the CoE is adamant he will have finance finalised within the next 10days...Sort of contradicts the negative story about the sale falling though.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Either the guy is lying or the Titans are just very very stupid, in this day and age of private building certification, its a piece of piss to get someone to certify something. (Basically pony up some $$ and it will be rubber stamped)

Some of the dodgy stuff Ive seen, I can believe got certified.
From the above article:

Fredericks has submitted a statutory declaration to the BSA and police
"Whoever lodged the document couldn't even get my name right," he said.
"They called me Fredrickson, yet signed it off as Fredericks, and listed a company that's not mine. It's embarrassing."
If he's lying he'll be the one in trouble. As he's brought this to the media he would open himself to being sued by the Titans as well as criminal consequences for signing a false stat dec.

And risking all that for what? Is he an angry Bears fan mad at the Titans for getting into the comp in 2007?

It just wouldn't make sense for him to be lying.

El Diablo

Post Whore
hey Bunniesderp why did you leave out this part of the article?'

The building is owned and operated independently of the Titans football arm by the Gold Coast Titans (Property) Pty Ltd.

Detectives are set to interview several parties - including Centre of Excellence builders Reed Constructions.

The investigation will establish who lodged the alleged forged document to allow the Centre of Excellence to pass a building inspection.

There is no suggestion the Titans porperty arm was aware of, or complicit in, the alleged fraud.

Canard

Immortal
He claims they photocopied his signature, then states they signed it of Fredicks(i.e. incorrectly spelled his name)???

Whatever happened its all a bit amateur hour by all involved.

DC_fan

Coach
If it doesn't have a legal building inspection then how can the Titans sell the building?

BunniesMan

Immortal
hey Bunniesderp why did you leave out this part of the article?'
That has nothing to do with what I was saying. I never even suggested they were responsible for the fraud.

But the problem is what the fraud, if it's true and whoever is responsible if it is, could mean for the club.

From an inability to sell the building, to a reduction in the buildings value which makes the debt worse in comparison to even the worst case scenario of them being forced out of the building while still having it as a lead weight around their neck.

A private certifier acts in the interest of neither the building contractor nor the building owner. He acts in the interest of the publics safety by ensuring standards are met.

The private certifier would have been the contractual responsibility of the builder (Reed Constructions) and not the client (Titans).

If there was a fraudulent certification submitted (as implied in the article) then the certifier and the builder have questions that require answering.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ARLC should buy the building and use to to really drive RL in the area and take the fight back to the Suns.

beave

Coach
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ion-to-employees/story-e6frep7o-1226474827549

THE Titans are embroiled in a fresh scandal following revelations the club owes an estimated $310,000 in unpaid superannuation to its employees, including Gold Coast players.

The Sunday Mail can reveal the Titans have breached federal statutory laws by failing to consistently meet compulsory superannuation payments to office staff and NRL-contracted players over the past two years.

Titans chief executive David May yesterday confirmed the club was in arrears on payments.

The ARL Commission last night condemned the Titans, with inquiries prompting May to issue an email circular on Friday to the club's players and staff pledging to meet all payments.

The superannuation saga raised the ire of the ARL Commission with interim boss Shane Mattiske issuing a stern warning to the Titans, saying: "It is a negative look for the club without question and one that won't be allowed to continue."

The Gold Coast are battling the Australian Tax Office on dual fronts, with the football club arm of the Titans empire trying to settle an outstanding tax bill that stood at about $2.11 million last year.

May pledged to address the superannuation issue urgently. The Titans boss is currently in talks with the ATO and has requested a detailed reconciliation statement after notifying the tax office the club has not fully met superannuation payments.

May says the club intends to clear the outstanding debts this week, but the ARL Commission will come under increasing pressure to strip the Titans of their licence following the latest ructions to hit the club.

An investigation by The Sunday Mail can also reveal:

Many Titans players and office staff have received irregular superannuation payments, or none at all;

One staffer has not been paid superannuation for 17 months;

Disgraced majority owner Michael Searle left for a United States holiday on Thursday - only 10 days after returning from a $27,000 trip to Cuba and the Cayman Islands;

A Titans player with Origin experience recently had his outstanding super contributions settled after his management complained to the club;

The Titans have four separate debts owing to the ATO, including superannuation, pay-as-you-go (PAYG) tax, payroll tax and GST. The collective amount was more than $2 million in unpaid tax last October, the end of the Titans' financial year.

The Titans are in breach of the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act. Under Australian government laws, an employer is legally required to pay a minimum 9 per cent of an employee's ordinary earnings to a nominated super fund if they earn more than $450 a month.

May last night assured Titans players and staff they would receive every cent due as part of his charter to make the club debt free.

"There are people owed superannuation by the club and that needs to be fixed, we are working on it right this second," May said.

"We are trying to move forward and fix the problems and be the club that our staff and our community can be proud of.

"I sent all our staff and players an email (on Friday afternoon) that the contributions will be brought up to date next week.

"It is absolutely the intention of the Titans, with the new investors on board, to solve all of the issues that are outstanding."

Mattiske made it clear the Titans could not avoid paying compulsory superannuation. "The player entitlements have to be paid and we have already taken steps to ensure this happens," he said.

"This is an absolute requirement and ensuring these payments will be made has been addressed.

"We have been monitoring the status of the club closely. From the moment we became aware of the non-payment of some player entitlements, we provided a guarantee from the game that these entitlements would be funded, should they not be paid directly."

Mattiske would not be drawn on whether the Gold Coast are at risk of having their licence revoked, but said: "We will continue to strictly monitor the Titans."

A former Titans employee told The Sunday Mail he received irregular super payments for 18 months, but said staff were reluctant to speak out in fear of being sacked.

"In my case, I checked with my financial adviser and he found irregular superannuation payments (from the Titans) over a number of years," the ex-employee said.

"Some times I would get the correct amount, then another month I'd get nothing, then I'd get a lesser amount, then there'd be nothing for a few months and then there'd be a big lump sum."

May said the debts would be wiped out by existing cash flow and fresh funds from new investment triumvirate Darryl Kelly, Graeme Connor and Anshuman Magazine.

"The people investing in the club are people of high regard with a reputation for doing things in the right way," he said.

"All of us are interested in closing the book on the past in an honest, equitable and decent fashion."

beave

Coach
Jesus, to think I was in the chorus of people who were blowing wind up their ass in their first few years. Hopefully they are true to their word and come through with $$$ for the players super.

beads6

First Grade
Gee Michael Searle has done a job on this club. I know he started them and all that but he has made so many mistakes they are lucky to still be in the NRL .

BunniesMan

Immortal
Very concerning. That could potentially be bringing in federal law issues. The first thing a business can't mess with is paying taxes and paying super. The fact that they could be hundreds of thousands of dollars behind in these crucial areas is a problem.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Michael Searle.
Typical CEO behavior.
Go on a $30,000 holiday while the workers aren't being paid.

Lowest form of scum known to earth.