What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iSelect Gold Coast Titans granted new license

BunniesMan

Immortal
So does the bank just cop that loss? Surely they'd have done a better job of protecting the money they loaned away...

Teddyboy

First Grade
WTF is the problem with the Gold Coast as when I was there back in 1999/2000 and there was no NRL team the majority of young beach folks always had a Rugby ball or/and played Touch ?.

applesauce

Bench
The GC is up shit creek right now in relation to the economy. The Titans charge through the nose and the COE pissed off a lot of GC blue collar construction companies which had a flow on effect. The Suns were giving out free tickets with Big Mac and still couldn't get a decent crowd in. The whole area is the Las Vegas of Australia.

clutch

so the CBA lost $7M , why do i care??

Didnt they make $7B last year... they could write off 1000 centres of exceleencesss

you should care because the Titans are awarded a license by the NRL/ARLC, and so it's a reflection on the due diligence processes of the NRL/ARLC.

it affects the business reputation of all the clubs aligned with the league, as well as the ARLC.

Perth Red

Post Whore
WTF is the problem with the Gold Coast as when I was there back in 1999/2000 and there was no NRL team the majority of young beach folks always had a Rugby ball or/and played Touch ?.

Perpetual myth that GC doesn't follow sport. Despite being less than avg on and off the field and charging the highest ticket prices in the NRL they are by no means the least supported club. Not sure of the corporate support but they seem to have some decent sized companies sponsoring them.

clutch

It's not a problem with GC.

The business model hurt. A training facility that was built too soon, which required higher ticket prices to fund it. The QLD stadiums deal didn't help either.

It would've been a better decision to gain management rights of Robina stadium rather than spend the millions on the CofE.

AtholSmith

Juniors
I think the NRL can afford to let the GC go, and concentrate on Gosford and Perth. In any case, they should take a 12-24 month break to freshen up on the GC and let the media move on before a new club is formed.

Billythekid

First Grade
I think the NRL can afford to let the GC go, and concentrate on Gosford and Perth. In any case, they should take a 12-24 month break to freshen up on the GC and let the media move on before a new club is formed.

This is a terrible idea and you should feel bad for having made it.

GAZF

First Grade

You spelt your name with a lisp.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
With respect, I don't think your Xmas hols in 1999 to the Gold Coast gives you enough insight into how much it is a RL city.

And it would have been a Rugby League ball, but thanks for acknowledging that League is the preferred Rugby code of football on the Gold Coast.
The GC is up shit creek right now in relation to the economy. The Titans charge through the nose and the COE pissed off a lot of GC blue collar construction companies which had a flow on effect. The Suns were giving out free tickets with Big Mac and still couldn't get a decent crowd in. The whole area is the Las Vegas of Australia.
You got one part right, the stadium prices could be more competitively priced. And the AFL is struggling (although they have a big war chest). But you posted nonsense or contradicted yourself in between.
The place is an economic basketcase.
lol. Times could be better, granted. But basket case? Talk about reaching for the tea and scones.
Perpetual myth that GC doesn't follow sport. Despite being less than avg on and off the field and charging the highest ticket prices in the NRL they are by no means the least supported club. Not sure of the corporate support but they seem to have some decent sized companies sponsoring them.
Absolutely correct.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2012/10/12/439709_gold-coast-titans.html

Interesting.

Every player on their books could have a chance to do a runner. Not often you get that chance. Interesting to see if some don't want to be there.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...+dailytelegraphnrlndm+(Daily+Telegraph+|+NRL)

ARLC start clean slate with Gold Coast Titans

Peter Badel
The Courier-Mail
October 12, 2012 4:49PM

Paul Kent and Paul Crawley take a look at the Gold Coast's year of 2012 and discuss what 2013 holds for them.

MORE than $5 million worth of Titans playing contracts are set to be transferred to a new entity under the ARL Commission's plan to start with a clean slate on the Gold Coast.

Titans will operate under a new company name and structure next season as the club's new investment consortium moves to sever ties with the complex web of companies that amassed $25 million in debt under former managing director Michael Searle.

Lawyers from the NRL and the Titans have been in negotiations over the proposed restructure. The NRL licence is expected to be formally transferred from the existing Titans club to the new company by November 1.

While the Titans brand will be retained, it is understood the ARL Commission will have strict conditions in place and wants the new entity to be a more streamlined and transparent operation than the convoluted set-up under Searle which almost sent the Titans broke.

Under the restructure, every Titans employee - including star quintet Scott Prince, Nate Myles, Luke Bailey, Ashley Harrison and Souths import Dave Taylor - will have their contracts novated.

Titans players have been informed of the development. There is no risk of the new entity failing to honour contracts, with the ARL Commission making it clear all existing conditions must be met for the licence transfer to be formalised.

Interim ARL Commission chief executive Shane Mattiske today confirmed the move to transfer the Titans licence, and all existing employee contracts, to a new organisation.

"We have certainly talked with the Titans about issuing the license to a new business entity but on the basis of a number of conditions including the need to meet all existing obligations," Mattiske said.

"There are still a number of steps to complete that process.

"While player contracts would transfer to another entity there has been no suggestions of re-negotiations and that would be contrary to the conditions."

Businessman Graeme Connor, one of the club's new investment triumvirate with Darryl Kelly and Anshuman Magazine, broke his silence today to assure Titans players their current contracts would not be voided.

"We will honour all existing contracts, of course," he said.

"My understanding is that the contracts will be signed over to the new entity in their existing format as required by the ARL Commission.

"The Commission wanted this set-up to ensure the old debts are cleared up and that the players and sponsorship agreements are transferred to the new entity controlled by the new investors.

"It will be a new entity acquiring the assets of the Titans club."

Asked about the existing debts at the Titans football arm, which had amounted to about $5 million, Connor said: "A lot of them have been paid out, there is still a few to go, but most of them have been done.

"There has been no financial help from the (ARL) Commission, none whatsoever."

It is understood the three new investors have been asked to provide $2m each to make the Titans debt-free.

Now free of Searle's administrative autocracy, Connor said the new entity would ensure the Titans can start afresh, bolstered by beefed-up governance, next season.

"I'm very confident about the future of the club," he said.

"There is a lot of work to be done, no question, but I'm very excited about the Titans moving forward."

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
And the article I linked to has a quote that does mention renegotiation.

And I didn't say the Titans wouldn't honour the contracts. The NRL will ensure the Titans pay every single cent they've promised. That is not in doubt. But if any players want to, they might have a chance to do a runner.