What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Islanders ready to shock league world

roopy

Referee
Cup-bound Knights ready to shock league world

BY JOSH LEESON
8/10/2008 10:15:00 PM
NEWCASTLE Knights Tongan winger Cooper Vuna expects Pacific Islander teams to surprise the rugby league world and knock off one of the big three Australia, England and New Zealand in the World Cup.

Vuna and Knights prop Richard Fa'aoso were selected yesterday to represent Tonga, and Newcastle backs Wes Naiqama and Akuila Uate were named for Fiji.

The NRL has experienced an influx of Pacific Islanders in recent years and many have made a huge impact on the game.

Vuna said the explosion of Islander talent in league meant pundits could be in for a shock during the World Cup.

"I reckon that all the Islander teams are the underdogs, but one will probably come out of nowhere to beat one of the top teams like England, New Zealand and Australia," Vuna said. "Hopefully one of the Islander teams can get up there and make the Islanders proud."

Vuna's parents were born in Tonga, but he was born in Auckland, which enabled the 97-kilogram speedster to qualify for either nation.

Vuna has spent the past month training with the Kiwi preliminary squad but was overlooked for the final 24-man squad.

"But I'm grateful for Tonga to approach me and give me the opportunity to play in the World Cup it's a big honour," Vuna said.

Tonga will play the Kiwis in a warm-up match next week in New Zealand.

Vuna makes up part of a strong backline featuring Penrith centre Michael Jennings and Parramatta five-eighth Feleti Mateo.

Naiqama's World Cup will be extra special because he will captain the Fijians.

Fiji lack the NRL credentials of Samoa and Tonga, but Naiqama is confident his side can progress beyond the pool stage.

"We've got France and Scotland in our pool, so I reckon with our experienced players in the squad, there's no reason why we can't win those two games," he said.

"We're a real chance of going through to the semis."

Uate's selection for Fiji could not have come at a better time. The flying winger turned 21 on Monday.

Uate moved to Woy Woy from Fiji four years ago with his father and stepmother and is looking forward to returning home to prepare for the World Cup.

"Everyone in the islands is really proud of everyone playing overseas, so I can't wait to play against other teams like Australia and New Zealand," Uate said.

"I can't wait to get back home and do some training and get to know the other guys."
Naiqama and Uate will travel to Fiji on Tuesday and go into camp for a week before setting up base at Gosford.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...ghts-ready-to-shock-league-world/1328802.aspx

roopy

Referee
The Islander boys don't seem to know they are unlikely to get a shot at the big three, but i love all that talk of earning pride and how they think they can beat anyone.
I've said all along that these guys don't want to just make up the numbers.
These guys are going to kick arse or die trying.

The Tongan team especially looks good but we need to remember these are mainly guys that were not good enough to make the Aust and NZ teams. Sure, they will do alright against each other and France, Ireland etc, and they will be very physical but they will not beat any of the big 3.

All that said, I'm still really looking forward to seeing them play and maybe even proving me wrong.

dubby

Bench
I love the style of the Island teams; flamboyant, physical and entertaining.

They will lack the mental strength of the GB teams but their physical talent adds a different strength

I fully expect Tonga to beat NZ in a semi if that how it pans out, especially if Kearney persists with Leuleuai, sorry to harp on about it but c'mon Steve what are you thinking!

I fully expect Tonga to beat NZ in a semi if that how it pans out, especially if Kearney persists with Leuleuai, sorry to harp on about it but c'mon Steve what are you thinking!

I believe they are on course to strike Aust in the semi, if all goes according to plan for both teams. The only way they can possibly play NZ at the WC is if NZ win the super group or they both make the final.

brendothejet

First Grade
don't worry...NZ wont even make the semis.

Aus, England, PNG from the super: Fiji and Tonga in play off

It's going to be very interesting seing kiwi tongans and aussie tongans in the same side. Same thing with Samoa.

NZ Will do just fine, we still have class players like Marshall, Luke & Inu.

screeny

Bench
Geez, didn't Wales beat PNG a few months ago? PNG will do well to get within 30 of the others, no?

I wouldn't say that. Firstly I wouldn't read too much into that Wales/PNG game and secondly this is a different team in a different hemisphere and in a different tournament. PNG probably won't win a game but hopefully they will perform well just the same.

IMO the NRL scouts should be at all of the Tonga and Samoa games...potential future NRL players will definitely be on show.

IMO the NRL scouts should be at all of the Tonga and Samoa games...potential future NRL players will definitely be on show.
Where? In the crowd? All of the players in both squads are already signed to NRL or SL clubs bar the two Samoan domestis players. If NRL clubs want to unearth some takent at the WC they need to look at teams like PNG and Fiji.

marv

Juniors
Geez, didn't Wales beat PNG a few months ago? PNG will do well to get within 30 of the others, no?

I was there, PNG were very poor, but I dont think they had much prep and had no Stanley Gene or Makali Azaui in fairness to them and it was bloody cold that day!

And Wales had a side that beat Scotland a week later and they probably played better against PNG than they did against Scotland too. PNG will be a lot better.

screeny

Bench
I hope you lads are right for PNG's sake. I would hate for those proud lads to be humiliated three times - or even once.

Latest posts