What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP

Dragonslayer

First Grade
On a side note:
We will have all 3 grades playing finals football this year.

Jersey Flegg: Finished 8th and will play either the Roosters or Eels in their elimination final next week. Great effort seeing our squad is mostly HM and SG Ball graduates.

ISP: Finished 2nd and will play the Jets next week in the qualifying final. People wrote them off but they have come home strong. Have played several JF players and part-timers and had some injuries so credit where credits due.

NRL: Will play finals but unknown from which position on the top 8. Huge game tomorrow could see them jump into 3rd. Again credit where credit is due.

Great results for our club.

Drakon

Juniors
On a side note:
We will have all 3 grades playing finals football this year.

Jersey Flegg: Finished 8th and will play either the Roosters or Eels in their elimination final next week. Great effort seeing our squad is mostly HM and SG Ball graduates.

ISP: Finished 2nd and will play the Jets next week in the qualifying final. People wrote them off but they have come home strong. Have played several JF players and part-timers and had some injuries so credit where credits due.

NRL: Will play finals but unknown from which position on the top 8. Huge game tomorrow could see them jump into 3rd. Again credit where credit is due.

Great results for our club.

We'd have to win by 30 to be 3rd.

Most likely we'll still be 4th but if we lose and the Sharks win, we'll be 5th.

That would really hurt to see the Sharks go ahead of us!

ouryears

Bench
Mate, careful.
Some of us are called apologists for that sort of appreciation.
Apologists because you are happy with just making the 8.

Apologist because you defended losing to Storm, Souths, Panthers, Warriors, Parramatta, and Roosters.

Currently being 4th means little when we know we can’t beat the top teams. We haven’t beaten and top team since May. And we won’t.

ouryears

Bench
Mate I just want the team I’ve supported for 40 years to win.

I have no agendas. I think Mary is an arrogant ponce but if he can lead us to a comp, I’ll still be overjoyed.

I certainly take no pleasure in seeing my team lose In the hope the coach gets sacked like some on here.
Of course I want us to win, Mary can get a 5 yr extension, I would be happy with that. Winning equals reward.

However, Mary has taken us all on his unsuccessful ride Since day 1, he is not up to it. If you think that’s not right, go check where we finished in 2014, 15,16, and 2017.

Losing more than we win is the reason we want him out.
But if he snags this one, I am happy to change my mind.

Touch base in October for the final outcome.

Currently his coaching record with us is 55 wins and 53 losses.
Currently his finals record is 1 game 1 loss and finals footy 2 years out of 5.
No other club would have tolerated those results.
Having said that, he has his big chance to prove all the doubters wrong this year.
An extension awaits

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Just a bit of an individual player wrap (on our most notable players) for those who missed the game:

Herbert: Quality player. Has just come along in leaps and bounds since moving back to fullback. It's good to know that if Dufty needs an arse kicking, Herbert is in line to replace him. Plenty of pace, great passing game and seems pretty safe under the high ball. Tackle busting machine too. Not sure about his defence, haven't seen a lot of it, but he definitely has a bigger body than Duff.
Lomax: Get him in. Now. He is just absolutely everywhere. Always puts his hand up for hit-ups around the middle, has good pace on him... But it's the footwork and ball-skills that set him apart from the rest. Whoever plays right wing outside him when he hits first grade is going to score A LOT of tries. He's got a killer right handed flick pass. Even though he had a bad day with the boot yesterday (windy day), you could tell he has a good goal-kicking technique. I think his greatest asset is his ability under the high ball. He just gets so high in the air, kinda like an AFL player. He should be a shoe-in for 2019.
Marsters: Good young player, but that's the thing... Very young. I see him as a future centre, I just don't think he has enough pace to be that damaging winger/fullback we thought he might be. He's strong, quite good in the air and can finish off a try.
Garrick: Forget about him, he is not up to first grade standard. Not quick enough, poor defence and doesn't offer a lot in attack.
Field: He has surprised me the last few weeks. It's getting to the stage where I may have to start eating my words if he keeps performing like this. He hit the line well before passing and was playing very direct. He looked sliiiiiiiick. Very dangerous every time he touched the ball. He's definitely a 'make-something-out-of-nothing' player. If he works on his kicking game and cuts out the brain explosions and poor last play options then he could be a permanent utility for us. Just can't see him breaking into the starting 13 over Widdop/Hunt/Dufty and potential back-ups like Mann/Herbert.
Robson: Apart from Lomax, this kid is probably our brightest prospect. He fair dinkum looks more dangerous than McInnes right now and would cause havoc off the bench. So quick out of dummy half, has Cook-like vision for a gap and just hits it with pace. Good passing game and is nuggety in defence. Can see him playing a lot of first grade for us in the future.
Lawrie: Strikes me as a Nathan Brown style player, but not as strong. He hits the line very hard, but that's about it. He needs to work on his muscle-mass I think, start strengthening up and developing an offload in his game. He had a good game against Mounties, you can always rely on him for those strong runs up the middle.
Kerr: Has just totally faded into obscurity, and for good reason. The people who were calling for him to get a shot need a f**king wake up call. He's big, but that's it really. Not a lot of stamina, doesn't seem to have ball-skills and just sort of trundles to the line and hits the grass. Not what you want from somebody of his size. But the red line through him.
Ford: Young, but has potential. He has a problem though and that's his current size/weight. He just seems a bit small to make an impact as a back-rower. 187cm and 95kg just won't cut it in the NRL at the moment. If you're going to be under 100kg as a back-rower then you need to have that point of difference, for example that extra turn of speed or ball-skills. At the moment he's lacking that, just seems to be a line-running forward. Although to his credit, against Mounties he was definitely looking like he's been working on his physique.
Lovodua: Love his enthusiasm. Just seems to want to get his hands on the ball as much as possible. He's strong as well, I like the way he carries the ball up. However, I think he's going to have the same problem Mann has. I have no f**king idea what his best position is. He came through the ranks as a 5/8, but I think he's a little too big for that now and to be quite honest, he doesn't strike me as a 5/8 at all. Is he a forward? A centre? A ball-playing lock? I've seen him play hooker before too.
He'll be a good utility for us I think.

And also just on a side note. Darren Nichols controlled the game very well. He's a good player, even though he had a shocker in first grade.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Just a bit of an individual player wrap (on our most notable players) for those who missed the game:

Herbert: Quality player. Has just come along in leaps and bounds since moving back to fullback. It's good to know that if Dufty needs an arse kicking, Herbert is in line to replace him. Plenty of pace, great passing game and seems pretty safe under the high ball. Tackle busting machine too. Not sure about his defence, haven't seen a lot of it, but he definitely has a bigger body than Duff.
Lomax: Get him in. Now. He is just absolutely everywhere. Always puts his hand up for hit-ups around the middle, has good pace on him... But it's the footwork and ball-skills that set him apart from the rest. Whoever plays right wing outside him when he hits first grade is going to score A LOT of tries. He's got a killer right handed flick pass. Even though he had a bad day with the boot yesterday (windy day), you could tell he has a good goal-kicking technique. I think his greatest asset is his ability under the high ball. He just gets so high in the air, kinda like an AFL player. He should be a shoe-in for 2019.
Marsters: Good young player, but that's the thing... Very young. I see him as a future centre, I just don't think he has enough pace to be that damaging winger/fullback we thought he might be. He's strong, quite good in the air and can finish off a try.
Garrick: Forget about him, he is not up to first grade standard. Not quick enough, poor defence and doesn't offer a lot in attack.
Field: He has surprised me the last few weeks. It's getting to the stage where I may have to start eating my words if he keeps performing like this. He hit the line well before passing and was playing very direct. He looked sliiiiiiiick. Very dangerous every time he touched the ball. He's definitely a 'make-something-out-of-nothing' player. If he works on his kicking game and cuts out the brain explosions and poor last play options then he could be a permanent utility for us. Just can't see him breaking into the starting 13 over Widdop/Hunt/Dufty and potential back-ups like Mann/Herbert.
Robson: Apart from Lomax, this kid is probably our brightest prospect. He fair dinkum looks more dangerous than McInnes right now and would cause havoc off the bench. So quick out of dummy half, has Cook-like vision for a gap and just hits it with pace. Good passing game and is nuggety in defence. Can see him playing a lot of first grade for us in the future.
Lawrie: Strikes me as a Nathan Brown style player, but not as strong. He hits the line very hard, but that's about it. He needs to work on his muscle-mass I think, start strengthening up and developing an offload in his game. He had a good game against Mounties, you can always rely on him for those strong runs up the middle.
Kerr: Has just totally faded into obscurity, and for good reason. The people who were calling for him to get a shot need a f**king wake up call. He's big, but that's it really. Not a lot of stamina, doesn't seem to have ball-skills and just sort of trundles to the line and hits the grass. Not what you want from somebody of his size. But the red line through him.
Ford: Young, but has potential. He has a problem though and that's his current size/weight. He just seems a bit small to make an impact as a back-rower. 187cm and 95kg just won't cut it in the NRL at the moment. If you're going to be under 100kg as a back-rower then you need to have that point of difference, for example that extra turn of speed or ball-skills. At the moment he's lacking that, just seems to be a line-running forward. Although to his credit, against Mounties he was definitely looking like he's been working on his physique.
Lovodua: Love his enthusiasm. Just seems to want to get his hands on the ball as much as possible. He's strong as well, I like the way he carries the ball up. However, I think he's going to have the same problem Mann has. I have no f**king idea what his best position is. He came through the ranks as a 5/8, but I think he's a little too big for that now and to be quite honest, he doesn't strike me as a 5/8 at all. Is he a forward? A centre? A ball-playing lock? I've seen him play hooker before too.

And also just on a side note. Darren Nichols controlled the game very well. He's a good player, even though he had a shocker in first grade.

Agree with all of this:
Robson and Lomax should be pencilled in for 1st grade next year without question.
Herbert also should be re-signed and given his chance. His only weakness is his defense. Last week for example he was at 33% tackle efficiency, this week at 64%. But absolute gun attacking machine.
Got a lot of time for Lovodua. I think he will take Mann's place in the future. Remember too he was selected to play for Fiji and did very well at International level.
Kerr is a marshmellow. Should be shopped around asap. The club has signed Eddie Blacker from the Broncos and I think thats where our investment should be focused.
Field is a real conundrum. Where does he play? Fitting him in the 17 seems to be just a fix it situation. Shame really.
Masters and Ford are very young and are development players. They will improve each year with more exposure.
Garrick - no, his contract is up this year and i dont see them in a hurry to re-sign him.

Thats just my take as well. We have some very good JF players that need their opportunity also, like MJ and Sauni-Esau for example.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Great summary Tom.
Agree with most of what you say.
I think that lowrie will be a solid nrl player.
Ford with an anther off season sould put on 5 to 7 kg of muscle.
He is extremely young and will improve.
Herbert is a must keep but saidly he may leave.
Joey L to me his best postion is hooker thats where figi play him but he will always be a bench player at the dragons.
Lomax could be a anything

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Agree with all of this:
Robson and Lomax should be pencilled in for 1st grade next year without question.
Herbert also should be re-signed and given his chance. His only weakness is his defense. Last week for example he was at 33% tackle efficiency, this week at 64%. But absolute gun attacking machine.
Got a lot of time for Lovodua. I think he will take Mann's place in the future. Remember too he was selected to play for Fiji and did very well at International level.
Kerr is a marshmellow. Should be shopped around asap. The club has signed Eddie Blacker from the Broncos and I think thats where our investment should be focused.
Field is a real conundrum. Where does he play? Fitting him in the 17 seems to be just a fix it situation. Shame really.
Masters and Ford are very young and are development players. They will improve each year with more exposure.
Garrick - no, his contract is up this year and i dont see them in a hurry to re-sign him.

Thats just my take as well. We have some very good JF players that need their opportunity also, like MJ and Sauni-Esau for example.

And of course saab as well coming though.
I think saab and sauni will be our future wingers.

Excellent Summary

Herbert

Would like to see him trialled at Full Back in the preseason. Not as fast as Dufty but potentially a better all round game. Definitely a bigger body and has really improved over the course of this season.

Lomax

With Flo gone and McDonald potentially heading north, he is a shoe in to start on the wing before transitioning to centre or even full back.

Masters

Good footwork, too slow for the back line however. Possible ball playing back rower. May not make FG.

Garrick

Agree

Field

Straightened the attack, took ball to the line and absorbed the impact of on rushing defenders a couple of times. We need to find a place in the first 17 for him next season. Key is for him to improve his defence to FG standard. If that occurs he is a must for FG.

Robson

We need to play this boy on the bench next year. Has the footy brain, excellent tackler. Scoots well from dummy half. Potentially a better alternative to Cam McInnes.

Lawrie

Needs one more pre-season bulking up. Has the mongrel. Must play FG next year. Developing well. Needs more game time to develop to full potential.

Kerr

Poor leg drive and poor lateral movement. Feel he is going to be a bust.

Ford

Needs to consecutive seasons to bulk up naturally. Could be anything. Very young but competing well in ISP given his weight and age.

Lovadua

This boy has so much natural talent. Agree with poster who stated he is likely to take Mann's utility spot in coming seasons.

getsmarty

Immortal
Field stars in ISP Dragons' second half blitz
Author
Matt Buxton NSWRL.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 25 Aug 2018, 02:21 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have put in a fine performance on the eve of the Intrust Super Premiership finals with a tough 26-12 victory over Mounties.

The scores see-sawed throughout the match with the lead changing four times in the opening 50 minutes, but a strong second-half from the Dragons ensured a 14th win of the regular season – and a top 2 finish.

Jai Field was outstanding for the Dragons, always posing a threat with his speed and footwork, while Pat Herbert continued his outstanding run of form between fullback and centre. Returning outside back, 2017 NSW Under-18 Player of the Year Zac Lomax, injected himself into the contest throughout the 14-point win.

The Dragons spread their wings in the opening set of the game when Reece Robson weaved his way through the defence for a big run, and Mounties were forced to start from deep inside their half.

It would be Mounties to score first though; Taane Milne forced a dropout with a freakish kick before Reuben Garrick came off the field with a HIA. On the ensuing set of six, Mounties' No.9 Sam Duggan took the ball to the line and quickly popped it to Daniel Roberts, who charged through a small gap to score.

Lomax put his magic touch on the game soon after. After some ‘razzle-dazzle’ Rugby League, Pat Herbert put in a cross-field kick for Lomax, who caught the ball with ease before throwing a perfect flick pass into the chest of John Tohi, who went over untouched.

A sharp right-to-left shift from the Dragons created a hint of space for Steven Masters which was all he needed; the Nicholls-Clune-Field passing combination was absolutely perfect, before the latter took the ball to the line and threw a late pass for the try-scorer who athletically planted the ball down.

On the stroke of half-time, the home side scored a much-needed try thanks to the brute strength and will of Corey Horsburgh, who bumped off one defender and crashed through another to take back the lead for Mounties.

A left-side raid by the Dragons ensured they will take the lead back early in the second half when Herbert cut through the defence with players in motion and bumped the final defender away to score.

The Dragons provided some more magic soon after when Field showed fast feet and threw a brilliant cut-out pass to Lomax, who extended his body in the presence of would-be defenders to put the ball down in the corner.

They almost scored immediately afterwards too when Herbert burned the defence to make a line-break and passed inside to Lomax, but he was brought down by some desperate scramble defence and the Dragons failed to take advantage of the field position on the following plays.

mounties-host-st-george-illawarra-dragons-in-round-24-of-the-intrust-super-premiership---images---keegan-carroll-nrlphotos---1.jpg

Dragons March on in Win Over Mounties

1 / 23
mounties-host-st-george-illawarra-dragons-in-round-24-of-the-intrust-super-premiership---images---keegan-carroll-nrlphotos---2.jpg

mounties-host-st-george-illawarra-dragons-in-round-24-of-the-intrust-super-premiership---images---keegan-carroll-nrlphotos---5.jpg

mounties-host-st-george-illawarra-dragons-in-round-24-of-the-intrust-super-premiership---images---keegan-carroll-nrlphotos---9.jpg

A penalty 40-metres from their attacking goal-line saw Lomax extend the lead to 20-12 with an extra two points, before a 40/20 kick from Nicholls had the Dragons in attacking field position once again.

Another right-to-left shift turned into points for the Dragons, with Field setting up Masters for his second try of the afternoon to seal the two competition points.

Lomax converted the try, taking the second-placed Dragons to the eventual 14-point winning margin.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/26/field-stars-in-isp-dragons-second-half-blitz/

LINESPEED

Juniors
I know its isp but Herbert and Lomax looked awesome today along with Field. They looked very ready for 1st grade if given more of a chance........

So I see Herbert - one of the best in our ISP team - has been quietly let go to the Warriors, to protect the 'fortunes of the Latkens next year.

WTF & FMD

Hope he comes back to bite your ars* like Bird & Cook Millward

Field & Mann will be next - and we'll have few attack options left, which will suit Mary's laughable 'defend to 16' idiocy

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_dragons_isp_round_9_reuben_garrick.jpg

INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

ISP team: Round 25 v Newtown Jets
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 28 Aug 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Intrust Super Premiership coach Mat Head has named his team for the qualifying final clash against the Newtown Jets at Panthers Stadium, Penrith.

The Dragons finished second on the ISP ladder and will face the third-place Sharks-affiliated Jets as a result.

Live on Fox League from 1:45pm, the ISP finals will be followed by the Jersey Flegg Dragons' elimination final against the Sydney Roosters.

ISP team for Finals Week One v Newtown:

1. Pat Herbert
2. John Tohi
3. Reuben Garrick
4. Steven Marsters
5. Shaun Sauni-Esau
6. Adam Clune
7. Darren Nicholls
8. Pio Sokobalavu
9. Reece Robson
10. Mitchell Allgood
11. Jackson Ford
12. Jacob Host
13. Hame Sele

Interchange:
14. Joe Lovodua
15. Damien Sironen
16. Ash Nisbet
17. Josh Kerr
21. TJ Uele

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/28/isp-team-round-25-v-newtown-jets/

getsmarty

Immortal
sailort-180616-gp-01-.jpg

JERSEY FLEGG

Jersey Flegg team: Finals Week One v Roosters
Author
Timestamp

St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg coach Wayne Collins has named his team to play the Sydney Roosters on Sunday, September 2 at Panthers Stadium, Penrith.

The young Dragons finished eighth on the Jersey Flegg ladder and will play for their finals survival in an elimination semi against the fifth-placed Sydney Roosters.

Kick-off is at 3:45pm and will follow the Intrust Super Premiership Dragons' huge qualifying final against the Newtown Jets.

Jersey Flegg team for Finals Week One v Roosters:

1. Tristan Sailor
2. Sam McCann
3. Donte Lusio
4. Matheson Johns
5. Jason Gillard
6. Tyran Wishart
7. Dylan Morris
8. Juvilee Samiu
9. Cooper Purcell
10. Tom Angel
11. Luke Gale
12. Jayden Morgan
13. Hayden Lomax

Interchange:
14. Shalom O'Ofou
15. Jack Gordon
16. Matthew Nicholson
17. Josh Dowel
18. Matthew Delbanco
19. Jiye Ellis

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/28/jersey-flegg-team-finals-week-one-v-roosters/

watatank

Coach
Pretty poor that the ISP headline is listed as Round 25 when it's clearly the first week of the finals. It even says that in the article. It's a little thing but they can add up.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
sailort-180616-gp-01-.jpg

JERSEY FLEGG

Jersey Flegg team: Finals Week One v Roosters
Author
Timestamp

St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg coach Wayne Collins has named his team to play the Sydney Roosters on Sunday, September 2 at Panthers Stadium, Penrith.

The young Dragons finished eighth on the Jersey Flegg ladder and will play for their finals survival in an elimination semi against the fifth-placed Sydney Roosters.

Kick-off is at 3:45pm and will follow the Intrust Super Premiership Dragons' huge qualifying final against the Newtown Jets.

Jersey Flegg team for Finals Week One v Roosters:

1. Tristan Sailor
2. Sam McCann
3. Donte Lusio
4. Matheson Johns
5. Jason Gillard
6. Tyran Wishart
7. Dylan Morris
8. Juvilee Samiu
9. Cooper Purcell
10. Tom Angel
11. Luke Gale
12. Jayden Morgan
13. Hayden Lomax

Interchange:
14. Shalom O'Ofou
15. Jack Gordon
16. Matthew Nicholson
17. Josh Dowel
18. Matthew Delbanco
19. Jiye Ellis

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/28/jersey-flegg-team-finals-week-one-v-roosters/
Is Jackson Willis injured?

Latest posts